• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Aircraft You Never Hear Anything About

S3Dude

pilot
The only F-5s in the Navy are at NAS Fallon, NV with a permanent det at NAS Key West, FL (VFC-13). Marines have them at MCAS Yuma, AZ (VMFAT-401 I think).

Yeah but sometimes the S-3B gets confused for the sleek F-5 (you can tell the COD's apart because of their multiple vertical stabs), especially if it's painted black.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sorry .... everytime you guys say "T-1" on this forum ... this is what I see :

Wasn't that the TV-1 or did the designation get updated during McNamarication?[/quote]

T-1 Sea Star is what I remember ... saw a few of them around the bases. It also went by the T-33 (AF), and I think the T2V, TO-1/2 (?).

The last time I saw it being used was in VT-10 for NFO-STUD back seat training. Apparently .... from this picture .... it had a wide following:

T-33.jpg

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
My chance to brag. I had the opportunity to fly in the T-38 back when I was still in AFROTC, hence my picture. Needless to say, that was definetely the most fun I've ever had. With or without my clothes on. It was an hour long flight and I had the stick probably half of it.
Best looking trainer in the entire US military, IMHO. Don't think the Air Farce has a replacement in the pipeline, even though the design is getting up in years.

As for active aircraft, I'm sure the sleekest US military aircraft would be the RC-12N Guardrail (even a cool name):D :

Attachments

• showimage.jpg
    showimage.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 105

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
And if I'm not mistaken, the C-12 and the T-44 are variants of the same aircraft... (the T-44 also make a few appearanced at NPA, and I've seen one or two C-12's too.)

I don't think the T-44 and C-12 are the same. The C-12 is larger than the -44. C-12 is your standard civilian King Air, not sure what the T-44 is, but I've seen lots of them out there on XCs and what not. If you watch Point Break the plane they're skydiving out of is a T-44.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Best Looking Trainer

And an ugly but fun jet in the background too! :D

Attachments

• Ta-4J  Hoov.jpg
    Ta-4J Hoov.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 152

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
T-1 Sea Star is what I remember ... saw a few of them around the bases. It also went by the T-33 (AF), and I think the T2V, TO-1/2 (?).

The last time I saw it being used was in VT-10 for NFO-STUD back seat training. Apparently .... from this picture .... it had a wide following:

T-33.jpg

Two flights in the T-1 were the standard NFO introduction to jets "back in the day". Going from the mighty UC-45J to the T-1 was a big leap in technology for us old back seat guys. Certainly added to our knowledge(s)

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
uc-45j

The old "Bamboo Bomber"

emergancy egress procedures

move to rear door, kneel, say whatever prayers to whom ever, roll out the door and pull ripcord :D :D :D

Attachments

• uc45j-2.bmp
    78 KB · Views: 78

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
HercDriver said:
As for active aircraft, I'm sure the sleekest US military aircraft would be the RC-12N Guardrail (even a cool name):D :

Don't forget about the Army's C-23B Sherpa. I saw one doing weekend ops in Corpus Christi this year. Talk about a weird looking plane...

864%20over%20sierra.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
TH-6B's are (as previously stated) only at NTPS for the Rotary Wing side. They are I believe, former Penn. Army National Guard birds that were in storage - and the Navy got hold of them, had them converted to conform to the FAA type certificate, then put under contract maintenance. These are all fairlylow time aircraft and with their mechanical flight controls and straightforward design, they are pretty easy and cheap to maintain and fly. I think there was at one time 6 of these at Pax but I'm guessing there are fewer than that now

th6bac-s.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Don't forget about the Army's C-23B Sherpa. I saw one doing weekend ops in Corpus Christi this year. Talk about a weird looking plane...

864%20over%20sierra.jpg

And these are all over SWA in theatre - very very popular with the special ops folks.

The Air Force procured the Pilatius PC-12 to help out with the shortage of Sherpas - These aircraft are configured especially for the Special Ops community and were hand configured at Hurlburt before being flown in theatre. I think the first ones - a dozen or so are hard at work over there. Think of it as a helo only it needs a runway and has wings and a prop.
open.file

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Ahh... the Sherpa... there's one or two parked at Destin. One ugly lookin bird...

And I stand corrected on the C-12/T-44.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
uc-45j ... The old "Bamboo Bomber"....

Ah, yes ... the C-45 Bugsmasher. Great little airplane. It was the first Navy aircraft I ever set foot in ... some 'ol burned out WW2 LCDR Instructor from the NROTC Unit took us over to NAS Sand Point and under his tutelage we learned the finer points of flathatting over and around Western Washington for many months thereafter ... :)

"....
The Beech AT-7-BH (later T-7-BH) Navigator was a twin engined monoplane trainer/communications aircraft. Ordered by the US Navy in 1940, the intended use of the C–45 Navigator as a photography platform was expanded to include administrative and logistic support, the transport of patrol aircraft crews, and as a training aircraft for photo reconnaissance crews. Pilots not assigned to operational squadrons relied on the SNB, or "Bugsmasher" as it was affectionately named, to maintain flying proficiency for the purpose of collecting "hazardous duty" pay. As a result, "Bugsmasher" time appears in the log books of most US Naval aviators during the course of the aircraft's thirty years service...."