• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Aircraft You Never Hear Anything About

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I am mean .... very mean .... ]

Yeah, but that's what we like about you.

and since I'm not a sailor anymore ....

Isn't there a version of "Once a Marine, always a Marine" that applies here?

I guess I'm just a mean 'ol homo

I seriously doubt that, judging from the pictures that you've posted of your wife.

and I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ....

Thats' the line I was expecting all along.

Death Rattler

pilot
Interesting thread...A4 mentioned the T2V..different machine from the TV-2, T-1, T33. T2V was a follow on machine. Used a J48 engine rather than the J33. I flew them at Navy Memphis, as a cadet, basic instruments. Strictly under the bag in the back seat...never saw the light of day..mean ol instructor. The "Bug Smasher", Air Farce designation C45. was called the SNB, that is "Scout,Navigation, Bomber"..we said it stood for "Secret Navy Bomber"( I ground looped one on taxi out)...Hey, I was a fighter pilot!... Harrier Dude... great Avitar...ours was called "L.P.A....lieutenants protective assn."..motto was "Non Perspirus escretum minuti"....ok, here`s your thread back....

Death Rattler

pilot
Oh yeah...I forgot to ask...what did the Navy call those Mirage type fighters that the aggressor squadrons used for awhile? Israeli jets I think. kfers, I believe they were called.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
The Kafir... a nice lookin' little jet. Interestingly enough, "kafir" means non-believer or infidel in Arabic...

Kafir.jpg

Dunno if the NAvy ever used them as aggressors though...

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Its actually the Kfir, or Lion Cub, or when owned by the navy the F-21...
Kfir-C1 fighters with small canards but no armament were delivered to the US Navy and Marine Corps with the designation F-21A for use as "aggressor" aircraft in dissimilar air combat training.
Kfir/F-21

United States

Twenty-five modified Kfir-C1s were leased to the US Navy and the US Marine Corps from 1985 to 1989, to act as aggressors in advanced air combat training. These aircraft, renamed F-21A Lion, had narrow-span canard foreplanes and a single small rectangular strake on either side of the nose, which improved to a considerable degree the aircraft's manoeuvrability, as well as its handling at low speeds.
The 12 F-21 aircraft leased to the US Navy, painted in a three-tone blue-gray "ghost" scheme, were operated by VF-43, based at NAS Oceana. In 1988 they were returned and replaced by the F-16N. The 13 aircraft leased to the U.S. Marine Corps were operated by VMFT-401 at MCAS Yuma. In addition to the blue-gray painted aircraft, the USMC also had some F-21s painted in Israeli colors and desert "flogger" schemes. These aircraft were replaced by F-5Es when the F-21s were returned in 1989.

Wiki - Yeah I Know...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Hrm... once again I stand corrected and learning has occured. Although, I think it would have been better as "Kafir"... eh well.. 'tis wh I don't get to name aircraft.