• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

motiv8r

To give a contradictory aside, legend has it that Smedley Butler had an enormous Eagle, Globe, and Anchor put over his whole chest by some Pacific tribesman. Later, it was marked up by bullet woulds. He was somewhat upset by that.

That's true. Chesty also had a huge EGA, on his shoulder I believe.

Sundown

Eight-year-olds, Dude...
You'll probably still get something, but probably make a more tasteful choice than having the Iwo Jimo flagraising tattooed accross your back.
QUOTE]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Attachments

• SA_tattoo_051018_3m.jpg
    SA_tattoo_051018_3m.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 52
G

griever

Hey all! I'm currently enlisted in the Navy and I have my mothers name tattooed on my throat.(wrestling fans think undertaker's "sara" tattoo) Do you think that will fly when I apply for a commission?

GMan1976

Banned
Tatt pics in the "Class Patch Design" thread

I was sleeved and still have them on my chest and legs... prior enlisted can be grandfathered into the new tatt rules. new applicants might have some trouble...

Hey all! I'm currently enlisted in the Navy and I have my mothers name tattooed on my throat.(wrestling fans think undertaker's "sara" tattoo) Do you think that will fly when I apply for a commission?

doubt it... hands, face and neck are usually automatic disqualifiers...

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navy's uniform regulations IRT tattoos. CH2 section 7.

Platinum teeth are also frowned upon....
paulwall_close.jpg

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Legal or not, you might want to consider getting a throat tattoo removed. I have tattoos, but not in visible areas. A throat tattoo, however sentimental, appears thuggish, and doesn't present an officerlike image. If that's your goal, you need to look the part.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These discussions come up every now and then. And while the context of this thread is whether someones current tatts are ok, I have to take this opportunity to make a point. If you are thinking of going into the military, especially the officer corps, don't get any (more) tattoos. As can be seen from this thread, the regs vary from service to service, and, in fact, changes from time to time. There is always some confussion over what will fly and what won't. Some priors may be grandfathered, new apps will not. So, put down that needle and ink and wait until you have gotten in, see if you still want one, and then be sure of the regs in place. If being an officer is really your dream, then you can put off tattoos for a while.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tattoos are a time honored right of passage for naval service members and should be viewed accordingly.
Is that so? So what happens if a member elects not to get a tatoo? Are they shunned or ostracized for not taking part in this rite of passage?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
There are new instructions regarding tattoos. Basically, they can't be offensive (swastika) or larger than the palm of your hand. They also should not be visible in PT gear. All others will require a waiver. I don't know of many commands that are cracking down on this in regards to the older sailors, but the new guys are definitely being briefed about it when they check in. The last thing we want to see is a huge confederate flag on some airman's forearm...Yeah, that would go over well with the skipper...

G

griever

I'm not trying to beat this to death or anything like that but onboard the Ike I've seen seen a lot of enlisted personnel with tattooes on there neck. IE: names, symbols, the puerto rican flag, lol... No one really says anything about them. But I guess the key word is "enlisted".

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
IYAOYAS

I always hated the ordies when they said that. Actually, it was more of the "Without us, none of this stuff would matter" talk. It makes it sound like they're the only one who work in maintenance. I was the PLO and later QAO and had the privledge of working with all of the MOSs. Ordies always talk the most trash and get in the most trouble (well, mainly). They have the highest esprit and sense of MOS community, though.

Keep the bombs coming!! Stay safe.