• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

pwdbyhrses

FYI guys...they aren't joking about the tattoos and WILL keep you out. Waivers for certain tattoos sans laser removal will be a thing of the past, and it's not pretty. WAIT to get them, and then make sure they fall within regs. or risk a promotion (read the MARADMIN.)

Laser removal hurts and is not pretty. This was Saturday and number 5/8. I missed going in October, and now because of the new MARADMIN, I get to resubmit for a waiver. The good news is, mine is pretty much gone. The bad news is, well...

tattoolaser2.jpg

AirSpiral

Basically, I had to draw my tattoos on a diagram and explain why I got them. I provided short explainations. My OSO turned it into the board.. and it was done.

Wait so all you had to do was explain what they were and show what they are.

I guess they're just making sure that you don't have gang tattoos or anything like that

pwdbyhrses

Disclaimer: I already had my waiver, I just kept going per the requirements of the waiver. They can't say I haven't tried.

$900 later, it still looks like this, and you can see it's discolored (and this wasn't a great tattoo:)

photo7.jpg

cbump

How about a 5.5" caduceus (Corpsman insignia) on my right forearm? Should be ok per Marine Corps regs correct?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
How about a 5.5" caduceus (Corpsman insignia) on my right forearm? Should be ok per Marine Corps regs correct?

Ok? Probably. Read the order in black and white and see for yourself.

Will it help you? No.

Will it hurt you? Honestly, in all probability, yes.

How bad? Nobody knows.

Listen closely everybody: The senior leadership in the USMC does not like tattoos. Are you going to find that written verbatim somewhere? No. Will 80+% admit it publicly? No. But it's true.

I would consider any visible (but still legal per the MARADMIN) tattoo as a strike against you. That strike will carry from your selection board, to your promotion boards, to your command screening boards, to your confirmation hearings as a senior general someday. If there is somebody else just as qualified as you are, and there is only one spot left, you can bet dollars to donuts that they're going to pick the other guy.

Get used to it. It's not "fair", and it may be slooooooooooooooowly changing over time, but as far as any of us will live to see, it's the truth.

Visible tattoos on officers are akin to long hair (but within regs) and 2nd class PFTs.

It's an unspoken no-no. It's a very strongly generalized trend. Not an absolute NO GO. Sometimes I wish that they would just sack up and ban them if that's what they want, but they won't. That would require taking a stand and enforcing their standards. They should ban motorcycles, too while they're at it, and quit screwing around with the subtle passive aggressive meddling. Make a call and stick with it. But for God's sake, have what you ENFORCE be what you say that you're actually going to ENFORCE.

Now, by all means, commence with the " I know a guy who had an huge and visible X tattoo and got selected for Y" individual justifications.

Don't listen to me.