• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhooks

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
dont they hook you to this wire and winch you down in bad weather? Not a helo pilot but I kinda remember some one mentioning this.

RAST to land...squat to pee. H(S)C has never had the RAST system...but we also land on football-field size landing decks. :D

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nah, just a common SMA who talks before they think.

Bit of a thread jack, but what's up w/ this? Chunks, I think you've been brain-washed. I've never understood why people use this in non-AF squadrons. We're training Naval Aviators, so why not use the term "SNA?" Even our allies are student Naval Aviators, and you can always through an "I" in front of "SNA" to make it official (I always did). End rant.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bit of a thread jack, but what's up w/ this? Chunks, I think you've been brain-washed. I've never understood why people use this in non-AF squadrons. We're training Naval Aviators, so why not use the term "SNA?" Even our allies are student Naval Aviators, and you can always through an "I" in front of "SNA" to make it official (I always did). End rant.

In my gradesheets, I only use SNA....it's a small thing but it bugs me too. We are Naval Aviators and we train Student Naval Aviators (includes Marines, CG, and Foreign Naval and CG aviators).

phrogpilot73

I was going to say something, but you guys already did... There is no "SMA" MOS in the Marine Corps, but there is a "SNA" MOS...

usbadgolfer

Greetings from Ft Hood, TX. I've been trolling your forums for a little while and thought I would put in my two cents.

Pick helos.

I can't speak for the Navy side of the house, but on the Army side we do more (i.e. Air Assault, MEDEVAC, troop movement, VIP stuff, fire fighting, rescue...), than the fixed wing pilots. Plus at 200 feet AGL the visibility is almost always good enough to fly and we can hover. The downside is unless you get the Airwolf transition you will never do Mach 1.2 and "fighter pilot" has way more appeal with the ladies than "chopper pilot".

The Warden

haha, forum vocab gets the best of us.

to troll = to mindlessly post contreversial nonsense in hopes of insighting a riot

to lurk = to benignly read posts while in "guest" mode never posting a word

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I was going to say something, but you guys already did... There is no "SMA" MOS in the Marine Corps, but there is a "SNA" MOS...

SMA = MPTS' term...It is an air force doctrine signed by CNATRA and alas, we've had it forced down our throats that the proper term now is SMA, not SNA.

I, don't care either way, but have given up being corrected by the Training department when they get hit on the annual inspection. Kinda like moving the C from CNET to NETC...to me it's all ball bearings.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
TIMS IS THE DEVIL!!!!

(It just spawned itself at TW-2. It sucks here too)

TIMS ain't too bad, but I find it funny that they spent what, $5 mil, on it when you can get almost the exact same functionality out of Excel, for what, $100? Oh well.....:rolleyes:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anything the Air Force invented is, by definition, evil. Eeeeeeevil. And make no mistake, "Joint" is just DoD-speak for "Air Force says everyone do it our way."

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So are they still using SNP and SNFO in Pensacola (mainly at API) under the bigger SNA title? In other words they were saying that the Navy has Student Naval Pilots and Flight Officers that both exist under the Student Naval Aviator title. Like the SMA today, that was a crock o sheeeet then.