• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhooks

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I am not "tactical"! I am...tacti-cool... :icon_smil. Right, no crack. Got it. As for where I am in the process - still a long, long ways off. I'm leaving for my MEPS physical today. I just wanted a good idea of what to expect so I dont flounder when I get to the point of choice. I have a while to make up my mind, still.

-X.

I wouldn't sweat the specifics of the selection process right now, there is always a chance it will change before you get there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just don't turn into one of those I Must Have Jets My Ego Can't Take E-2/COD/Helos Because I Am Too Damn Cool For School dudes. It impresses no one. And God help you if an IP overhears you saying so... the IP Network goes into overdrive and you become That Guy.

XeroJaeger

Just don't turn into one of those I Must Have Jets My Ego Can't Take E-2/COD/Helos Because I Am Too Damn Cool For School dudes. It impresses no one. And God help you if an IP overhears you saying so... the IP Network goes into overdrive and you become That Guy.

Advice taken. To me I just want to be in something that requires me to fly it. Scary thought, but thats what I want. I have preferences, of course, but one of the first things my old man told me when I started the Navy process was, "You know you aren't Tom Cruise, right?" I've kept those as words of wisdom ever since.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Advice taken. To me I just want to be in something that requires me to fly it. Scary thought, but thats what I want. I have preferences, of course, but one of the first things my old man told me when I started the Navy process was, "You know you aren't Tom Cruise, right?" I've kept those as words of wisdom ever since.

I would dare to say the E2/C2 are certainly 2 aircraft that require it to be flown, pure stick (well, yoke) and rudder. Neither aircraft is sexy or much fun to fly. So going COD's allows one to make up for it by plenty of alcohol, woman and per diem

MasterBates

When I got picked up for the VRC/VAW transition the reactions came in 2 varieties among JOPA:

1-Howthefvckdidyoudothat?

2-Lucky bastard.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So then why would anyone want to fly anything else? COD looks like it hits the big three priorities for must pilots.:D

Because wearing a G-suit makes you look so much cooler than anyone else!

;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because wearing a G-suit makes you look so much cooler than anyone else!
;)

Real men wear assless chaps in the plane? :D

CODs are probably the best deal in Naval Aviation. Go to the boat, launch before it gets dark, roll back to your crib in Bahrain, hoist a few cold ones and chuckle at the fate of your boat-bound bretheren. "Heh heh... suckers..."

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
CODs are probably the best deal in Naval Aviation. Go to the boat, launch before it gets dark, roll back to your crib in Bahrain, hoist a few cold ones and chuckle at the fate of your boat-bound bretheren. "Heh heh... suckers..."

If that's the definition of cool...than go HSC-26. ;) But personally, I hated being shore based...at least there. My wife liked the per diem, however.

Navy News Stand said:
"After more than 30 years of forward-deployed service, the era of the Desert Ducks is coming to an end as the Navy plans to replace all remaining H-3 airframes with the H-60S airframe."

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Hehe, C-2B...I'm an idiot. Which brings me to my next point--don't smoke crack.

Nah, just a common SMA who talks before they think. :eek: Don't worry...I didn't really learn my lesson until after 1/2 through my first tour and now look at me. I'm a "small deck centurion." No hooks, no wires. :p

Appropriate screen name though...

cisforsmasher

pilot
dont they hook you to this wire and winch you down in bad weather? Not a helo pilot but I kinda remember some one mentioning this.

SH-60B_RAST.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
For a few years at VRC-30, COD's weren't exactly the good deal. For example, my first cruise in 99, we spent the entire 6 months on board the Connie, flying day and night at the boat. We had some overnighters...I had 9 as I recall, which was the least of all of us. I was a paddles as well. We used to call ourselves VAW-30. Next cruise, first 3 months, onboard the ship but not flying nights. So we had plenty of time on our hands. Last 3 months of the cruise, we were in Bahrain and then I started to see the light. If you're going to live on the boat and fly at night, might as well fly something fun. If you're going to live on shore, hit the bars at night, then COD's is worth it.