• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhooks

XeroJaeger

I've recently been told that all carrier-oriented aircraft (jets and others) are now lumped into the designation of "tailhook." I'm wondering, if anyone knows, if there is a way to select the craft you want to fly before committing to tailhook? I ask because I'm at a coin flip between jets and helos, but I wouldn't want to think I'm getting jets because I selected tailhook and end up with something else. Anyone? (sorry for the rookie question).

-X.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I've recently been told that all carrier-oriented aircraft (jets and others) are now lumped into the designation of "tailhook." I'm wondering, if anyone knows, if there is a way to select the craft you want to fly before committing to tailhook? I ask because I'm at a coin flip between jets and helos, but I wouldn't want to think I'm getting jets because I selected tailhook and end up with something else. Anyone? (sorry for the rookie question).

-X.

A thorough search of the forum will provide more detail, but the answer to your question is no.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Apologies for my weak search-fu. Thanks for the response, though. Its appreciated.

-X.

Hey, no problem. Honestly, there aren't a lot of posts on this particular topic because it is a new selection process in flight school.

nugget81

pilot
will this be like AF people selecting jets then getting B-52?

Not quite. At least a B-52 is a jet (sorta). Tailhook is F/A-18's, EA-6B's, E-2C's, and C-2B's. All land on a carrier, and therefore, must have a Tailhook. You could think that you're getting jets and end up with the COD or Hawkeye :eek:

KBayDog

All land on a carrier, and therefore, must have a Tailhook.

LSE: "WAVE OFF! WAVE OFF! YOU DON'T HAVE A TAILHOOK!"

060419-N-7359L-004.jpg

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
All land on a carrier, and therefore, must have a Tailhook. You could think that you're getting jets and end up with the COD or Hawkeye :eek:

What exactly is wrong with a COD or Hawkeye do tell? BTW, there is no C-2B....at least not that I know of.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

-X.

Where are you in the program? Go for what you want, give it your best shot. If you go tailhook and don't get jets, tough shit....deal with what you get and move on.

XeroJaeger

He could join a long line of aviators who believe they are tactical (in a sense equal to the pointy nose brethren) with that community :D

I am not "tactical"! I am...tacti-cool... :icon_smil. Right, no crack. Got it. As for where I am in the process - still a long, long ways off. I'm leaving for my MEPS physical today. I just wanted a good idea of what to expect so I dont flounder when I get to the point of choice. I have a while to make up my mind, still.

-X.