• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhook?

CodWife

Proud of my hubby!
you'd loose that bet ... grades will play a factor, but not all of it. like I said, "tailhook" selection should be similar to the way Marines select airframes, and like that process, if you ain't number 1, you might not get your first choice ... quality spread my friend, an E2 or C2 Skipper at advanced will make sure his community doesn't get screwed.

besides, low grades doesn't mean a person can't go strike, the Corps normally sends the students with low NSS's out of advanced to go fly Hornets ...

So glad someone said it. I hate that if you get E2/C2 then you are not as Sierra Hotel as a jet guy. Give me a freaking break! Ask any jet guy to go into an E2 or C2 SIM and see what they say. You have to be damn good to be E2 or C2, plain and simple. End of soapbox. And, who really cares? For real. Tailhook is tailhook. Period.

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Tailhook is tailhook. Period.

Exactly.

You all do realize, to us wannabes, your argument seems like a bunch of oil tycoons and lottery winners b!tching about the shade of green on their dollar bills. :icon_tong :)

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
quality spread my friend, an E2 or C2 Skipper at advanced will make sure his community doesn't get screwed.
No such animal here in Meridian.

I hate that if you get E2/C2 then you are not as Sierra Hotel as a jet guy.
And I hate that gas prices are >$4/gallon but it is just something we live with:D

Ask any jet guy to go into an E2 or C2 SIM and see what they say. You have to be damn good to be E2 or C2, plain and simple. End of soapbox. And, who really cares? For real. Tailhook is tailhook. Period.

Anyone going into a new aircraft's sim is going to have a hard time at first. I couldn't even start a P-3 or SH-60 yet alone fly either in the pattern unless I had practice and instruction. For some reason I get the feeling that you might be the Knives Club Rank Puller?:D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
IMO, it should be performance based. I believe selecting Tailhook was the right thing to do. Now, let whatever portion of advanced performance aid in the selection of jets vs E2/C2. Now if a guy or girl wants E2/C2, let them have it. The old way, requiring a 50 NSS for both then selecting one or the other prior to advanced never made sense to me. We had guys selecting E2/C2 who were Commodore's list being there were no jet slots. An old buddy of mine made the Comm list with Distinction, number one overall and was forced to go E2/C2. Those of us who wanted jets either made the best of it or tried a transition later on. But now all the tailhook types have a chance to evenly compete and I couldn't think of a better way. There's no doubt in my mind that there were some guys I knew who would have been great flying any platform, jets included. Then there were guys like me who if they had selected jets, if I made it, would have been flying S-3's gauranteed. I'm just to much of a rock to fly alone :(

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Then there were guys like me who if they had selected jets, if I made it, would have been flying S-3's gauranteed. I'm just to much of a rock to fly alone :(
S-3's were a great deal! I think it is smarter to do it Tailhook now. Do you think going to the boat before seeing the multiengine training down in Corpus makes the C-12/T-44 training less valuable?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
S-3's were a great deal! I think it is smarter to do it Tailhook now. Do you think going to the boat before seeing the multiengine training down in Corpus makes the C-12/T-44 training less valuable?

I would have flown S-3's in a hearbeat, especially if it were out of San Diego. I probably would have picked it as number one actually.

Back in the day, the E2/C2 types, once selected, would go through VT-4, CQ, then roll to VT-31. Not sure if it ever affected any of those folks. I went VT-27, VT-31 and then VT-4. IMO, the C-12/T-44 isn't required to fly E2/C2. Everything you need to know about flying the twin engine beasts will be learned at VAW-120. The T-44 might be more to introduce the SNA to a multi-crew concept in the cockpit. The T-44/C-12 certainly fly nothing and I mean nothing like a C-2 or E-2.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to add fuel to this fire:
It takes an aviator to land an E2 or C2 at the boat. A Hornet can do that itself. ;)

CodWife

Proud of my hubby!
Anyone going into a new aircraft's sim is going to have a hard time at first. I couldn't even start a P-3 or SH-60 yet alone fly either in the pattern unless I had practice and instruction. For some reason I get the feeling that you might be the Knives Club Rank Puller?:D

HA! No! MAYBE if he was CNO or something....LOL! TOTALLY KIDDING....I don't even tell people what he does unless they ask! I just hate to hear the same crap all the time about well "the best" fly jets.....NOT TRUE. You HAVE to know what the heck you are doing to fly. Period. There are great pilots in EVERY pipeline.....

And good luck to all of y'all in Kingsville/Meridian! No matter what you select, you will enjoy it. Every pipeline has its own "perks". :)

stickygdm

pilot
Yeah, we'll do a little better about communicating the policy and procedures. That's a fancy way of saying sit tight, work hard, [insert divine identity here] willing, and Navy willing you'll fly the fleet aircraft of your choice.

The bottom line is your training is the number one thing to focus on while your in the pipeline. Once those wings are pinned on your uniform and you have orders to a FA18EA6BEFA18ABCDEFG FRS you will be [insert current slang for stoked word here]!

Do your best and hit it hard and I promise you we will not take this process lightly. I know there's a lot of uncertainty, especially for you guys/gals who are the first in the Tailhook syllabus but we have been in your shoes (albiet not exactly) of uncertainty and the most important thing we will be looking at, is matching the right person to the right airplane in order to best serve the Country.

Now get back to studying your NATOPS and get some sleep!

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
So I heard a crazy rumor in VT Land about there being only 7 TH slots left for the fiscal year. I called BS on it, but I am curious how the fiscal year factors into this kind of stuff.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So I heard a crazy rumor in VT Land about there being only 7 TH slots left for the fiscal year. I called BS on it, but I am curious how the fiscal year factors into this kind of stuff.

Actually there are negative three slots. They are going to be pulling 3 of the most underperforming Tailhook students before next fiscal year and put them in the dirigible pipeline. :icon_wink

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
come on guys. stop fighting. jk. :D

just know that there are guys on the ground who instinctively looks up at the sky everytime they hear ANY aircraft and stare at it until they disappear. i mean, yes, when it's a jet blasting by, it's cooler to look at but i mean... you get paid to fly! and to go on airwarriors. and yes i'm that guy on the ground and i've been down here in p-cola for only 2 days now and my neck already hurts from staring at all those t-34s and t-45s. also saw F/A-15 yesterday morning. cool stuff. I hate p-cola. :icon_rage