• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45s in Primary?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We have a lot of conversations here about how a handheld civilian GPS can be head and shoulders above ours. Cross countries can start to suck when ATC tells you fly direct IckyWicky or to fly the ItchyScratchy STAR.

**I know I am spoiled with the C-model and the gucci stuff.
That's why you pack the STARS and remember how to do a TACAN Point-to-point. Go to VT-7 and steal a copy if you have to if they still hog all the pubs.;) Once you get going in the general direction, plug the lat/long and magvar of the UMPTY VOR in and throw an offset to FRATZ.

Rubiks06 said:
ok stupid question...whats pitchbuck?
Pitchbuck is a result of applying too much backstick too quickly to aggressively turn a T-45. I'm not too cognizant of the aerodynamics behind it (I think you're actually stalling the horizontal stab), but what end up happening is that you end up "ratcheting" your way around the turn and your performance suffers. If you fly the jet right on the nibble of buffet, like you feel you're going down a gravel road, you're max performing.

Sheesh. I need to brain dump all that and replace it with Prowler stuff.

Jay

Actually, most controllers have no problem giving you a radial/dme to a fix they're asking you to fly to, I've yet to actually do a point-to-point in the T-45, they're here cause we're here, not the other way around.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, most controllers have no problem giving you a radial/dme to a fix they're asking you to fly to, I've yet to actually do a point-to-point in the T-45, they're here cause we're here, not the other way around.
A point many people on both sides sometimes forget. Either way, once you get the Radial/DME, I always found WO/S to be a valuable tool. If the instructor lets you use it (may not early on).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Never? Wow, I did them all the time.

Rhino is nice... you're certified to use the GPS aided INS for navigation. I haven't navigated off a TACAN since T-45s.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you fly the jet right on the nibble of buffet, like you feel you're going down a gravel road, you're max performing.
Sheesh. I need to brain dump all that and replace it with Prowler stuff.

Sounds just like the Prowler. ;) Get used to that feeling.

Brett

Jay

You know the events, especially here, where point-to-point is a required item, with a little forethought, I've already had the WO/S set up for it, or at least the nav aid already in, so yeah, I guess I've partially done them, but I'm always flying to the X and not trully doing it.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds just like the Prowler. ;) Get used to that feeling.

Brett
Schweet. At least some things stay the same. I just got my unclass CD from the Learning Center so I'm starting to geek out on NATOPS.

@Jay: If you're still in RIs, beware; some sim instructors may hammer you for that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
IP's at VT-4 & 10 claim "too many T-34's buzzing around". I've never had an issue, but its been proclaimed that the T-34's don't like to talk to us for deconfliction. Nothing official says we can't work at the OLFs. In fact, we often do work at the OLF's. Its just usually IP preference not to.

It's a bit more complicated than that. If there are "too many" T-34s, the T-6s can't come in. If there are solos, the T-6s can't come in. If it's Silverhill and there's pretty much anyone in the pattern, the T-6s can't come in and can't ever land, regardless (3500' runway, to correct Jammnw). When the T-6s are in the pattern, it jacks up everything for the T-34s (AOA approaches, interval for the T-6, only a few T-34s can be there), and since the T-6 "community" doesn't stand duty, then they tend to defer to the T-34s as the primary user.

I find they talk quite often on common. What bugs me is leaving Brewton, driving all the way up to Evergreen only to find a T-6 there and not being able to enter because they're full, then having to drive all the way back to Brewton, all when I'm already at 150#s and running 10 minutes late as it is. But I'll admit it's a rare occurance.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
To each his own, I love that thing.

That's because in RAG-configured jets, you're really only using the MPCD for area management. When you've got full-up MSI and MIDS integration, it's completely cluttered with info. It's a juggle selecting and deselecting contributors so the stickmonkey's mind doesn't explode ;)

I don't need a moving map to tell me that in Oceana, the water is east and the land is west. I always have it off at night, and turned pretty far down in the day.

T-6B link below.

Of note; weapon station capabilities, HUD, and MFDs.

http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/government/t_6b.shtml#main

1004099.jpg

-jai5w4

MasterBates

Mefesto, you are correct on that. When I lost 70% of my instruments behind the boat on a DAAARK night, basic BI is what kept me out of the water and got me aboard.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mefesto said:
IMHO a primary trainer should not have a hud and some of the gucci features. When things go bad, fundamentals are what you revert too, and if you never learn them, what's to fall back on?

Totally agree.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mefesto said:
You're still considered INS only for filing purposes. We can't shoot GPS approaches, just navigate point to point.

I'm very well aware of this, but it's good you said it. To those reading, after the T-34, kiss goodbye to the GPS approaches. At least in most Navy aircraft.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's because in RAG-configured jets, you're really only using the MPCD for area management. When you've got full-up MSI and MIDS integration, it's completely cluttered with info. It's a juggle selecting and deselecting contributors so the stickmonkey's mind doesn't explode ;)

Shutup and change my RADALT.

I don't need a moving map to tell me that in Oceana, the water is east and the land is west. I always have it off at night, and turned pretty far down in the day.

I do here. The ocean is on the wrong side. It's confusing.