• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45s in Primary?

Burner_95127

I heard a rumor yesterday that the Navy is going to start using T-45s for primary and that the new T-6s are only going to be used for NFOs? If thats true, what will be the advanced strike trainer? Just curious as to if anyone knows if this is true or not. :confused:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard a rumor yesterday that the Navy is going to start using T-45s for primary and that the new T-6s are only going to be used for NFOs? If thats true, what will be the advanced strike trainer? Just curious as to if anyone knows if this is true or not. :confused:

That seems highly unlikely.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Sweet....but really unlikely. Lot of aircraft for a newb...damn....the T-34 can be alot of aircraft sometimes...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That seems highly unlikely.
You must be feeling generous today, Brett. :icon_tong

I will go one step farther and call complete and total shenangians. There is no way anyone in their right mind would trust a Primary stud to initial solo in a Goshawk. That's what the Turboweenie is for; build up time in a turbine aircraft and identify those who can handle a jet aircraft solo.

(And I'm not trying to dump on other communities with that last, so let's please keep that can of worms fully closed)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dont see this happening.

All in all another SNAFU from Naval Aviation acquisitions (both services, Im not trying for a green v blue thing here), what happened to the T-6? Its off the shelf technology in a proven airframe (that is flying as a primary trainer the world over) that $ was already allocated to, how did this get F'd up?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Aircraft not suited to the current training environments?

Seems like a reasonable guess to me. My understanding is that our primary OLFs would not be usable down here in Corpus with the Texan II (ironic huh?) and with only one set of parallels home field bounce isn't practical all the time.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

All in all another SNAFU from Naval Aviation acquisitions (both services, Im not trying for a green v blue thing here), what happened to the T-6? Its off the shelf technology in a proven airframe (that is flying as a primary trainer the world over) that $ was already allocated to, how did this get F'd up?
I've always been told that its lack of Beta would put a crimp in ops at the OLFs at P-cola and Corpus, and also mean the end of split-field ops at NSE. Thus lower flights per day equals lower production numbers I guess . . .

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So buy the damn thing with Beta, not unheard of to have same aircraft with different options for various services, 60, JSF come to mind. If you cant land a T-6 at A ccounty Im guessing a T-45 really wont fit.

Again BZ Acquisitions!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aircraft not suited to the current training environments?

Seems like a reasonable guess to me. My understanding is that our primary OLFs would not be usable down here in Corpus with the Texan II (ironic huh?) and with only one set of parallels home field bounce isn't practical all the time.

Isn't that what the B model was supposed to fix (TACAN, beta, etc.)? I don't pretend to be well versed on the intricacies of the T-6 acquisitions program, but like Skid indicated, it's largely bought and paid for. There is no way in hell they're going to use the T-45 as a primary trainer. Let's chock this one up as unbelievably bas gouge.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Alright...this may be a stupid question here but here goes....

Why was the Navy seeking to replace the T-34 to begin with. Logistical issues? Airframe service lives? I mean don't get me wrong...its old...but it seems to work. Got to be something said for "If it ain't broke..."

wrk

If they switched to the T-45 both Whiting and Corpus would be unusable because of all the smoking holes in the ground. A T-45 for primary seems almost comical, of course I wouldn't be overly surprised if it was true.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Alright...this may be a stupid question here but here goes....

Why was the Navy seeking to replace the T-34 to begin with. Logistical issues? Airframe service lives? I mean don't get me wrong...its old...but it seems to work. Got to be something said for "If it ain't broke..."
Problem is, it is broke. Shortly after I left, they removed tail chase from the formation syllabus to save wear and tear on the airframes. Plus, it's a steam gauge cockpit and everything will eventually be going to glass to some extent.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Plus, it's a steam gauge cockpit and everything will eventually be going to glass to some extent.

True enough, but the transition to glass doesn't seem essential in primary anyway...even in a short pipeline like helos you could make the transition in Int. no? Besides the T-6 just uses glass to display steam gauges anyway...weird. Yet another T-6 oddity.

T-6A%20Texan%20II%20Front.JPG

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Funny this question comes up. I just checked into VT-2 today and I actually asked the rigger fitting my vest the exact same question.

Apparently Whiting was all set for to get the T-6 last year/ earlier this year but when Ivan came through all of the money earmarked for the planes got reshuffled into repairs and the like b/c the hangars and buildings got so f'd up. So, the most current schedule is for the first group of planes to come in sometime in the middle of next year to one squadron and then it's just going to continue with groups of 10-20 planes spaced out over intervals filling up the rest of the squadrons' spots.

If that happens remains to be seen, but the rigger helping me said they had a huge meeting about it because they have to start preparing now for the new gear (G-suits, etc) to have ready when the planes start rolling in.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Different pots of money, bad gouge. Money for aircraft comes from NAVAIR. Money for hangar repair comes from other sources, this is why you will find squadrons buying plasma screens for the ready room but out of toilet paper.