• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45s in Primary?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
T-6B link below.

Of note; weapon station capabilities, HUD, and MFDs.

http://www.raytheonaircraft.com/government/t_6b.shtml#main

1004099.jpg

-jai5w4

Of course, just because Raytheon offers certain options doesn't mean the Navy will buy them.

Brett

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Go to VT-7 and steal a copy if you have to if they still hog all the pubs.;)

Funny you mention it... Just the other week I found myself "borrowing" some stars from those guys. They didn't seem too happy about it either.

The T-45 is getting a new engine. Who knows if it will have anything like the rumored 8000lb thrust. It already has plenty of thrust anyway, except maybe for the more dynamic stages in phase 2.

Like the other guys said, fadec and more gas are the main things that it still needs, now that nose wheel steering aug is being installed. It has the ability to carry drop tanks. I wonder why they never bought any?

An IFR certified GPS would certainly be nice. I really don't think the Jet routes are going to be phased out in the near future, though.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It has the ability to carry drop tanks. I wonder why they never bought any?

When I was there, they told me that the benefit of the extra gas in the drop tanks was negated by the extra drag imposed by them.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That seems unlikely based on what I see.

Why, the tanks didn't hold much at all and they increased the drag count on the jet. It wouldn't be far fetched. That and the Navy just didn't buy any. T-45 can also carry rocket pods, but they don't.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
Why, the tanks didn't hold much at all and they increased the drag count on the jet. It wouldn't be far fetched. That and the Navy just didn't buy any. T-45 can also carry rocket pods, but they don't.

Well in order to make an reasonable WAG as to the efficacy of external tanks I'd need to know fuel burn, average airspeed for that fuel burn rate and max cross sectional area of the tanks. Looking at a picture is probably not very accurate. G-d Damn engineering!:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well in order to make an reasonable WAG as to the efficacy of external tanks I'd need to know fuel burn, average airspeed for that fuel burn rate and max cross sectional area of the tanks. Looking at a picture is probably not very accurate. G-d Damn engineering!:D

The "academic" engineering you're involved with has little to do with what happens in the real world.

Brett

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
The "academic" engineering you're involved with has little to do with what happens in the real world.

Brett

Hence my saying "WAG"....engineering term;)

and although it is still mainly academic, Embry-Riddle is not an "academically focused" school. It focuses on preparing graduates for industry, not graduate school. We do a lot more real-world stuff than many other similar schools.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Hence my saying "WAG"....engineering term;)

and although it is still mainly academic, Embry-Riddle is not an "academically focused" school. It focuses on preparing graduates for industry, not graduate school. We do a lot more real-world stuff than many other similar schools.

<groans> :icon_roll Did you copy/paste that from the handbook?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

Sounds like a brochure.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Funny you mention it... Just the other week I found myself "borrowing" some stars from those guys. They didn't seem too happy about it either.

You need to be more sneaky about it then. Wear your jacket with a black leather nametag so they don't know you're from down the hall. Besides, they really have no right to be unhappy after they hoard 75% of the Wing's pub issue . . . :D

Junior

pilot
You need to be more sneaky about it then. Wear your jacket with a black leather nametag so they don't know you're from down the hall. Besides, they really have no right to be unhappy after they hoard 75% of the Wing's pub issue . . . :D
And all of the popcorn.