• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-45s in Primary?

Jay

Besides the T-6 just uses glass to display steam gauges anyway...weird.
The T-6 uses digital gauges rather than a normal steam gauge because old a$$ gauges break ALL THE TIME and are extremely expensive for what they are to replace/repair and fairly maintenance intensive. An electronic gauge will not tumble, precess, and will give you reliable information even after a series of aerobatics, THAT'S WHY the T-6 has digital gauges.

TuxFlier

The T-6 is okay for use at OLFs if you just go low approach or practice an ELP. Otherwise you have to make sure you definitely touch down within the first 100 feet or so of the runway - or call the wave off. No way you can bring the T-6 to a full stop at some of them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An electronic gauge will not tumble, precess, and will give you reliable information even after a series of aerobatics, THAT'S WHY the T-6 has digital gauges.

That's a function of what kind of system is supplying the instrument with data and not whether the gauge is analog or digital. A glass cockpit connected to an older mechanical INS like CAINS will suffer from all the aforementioned inaccuracies.

Brett

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Different pots of money, bad gouge. Money for aircraft comes from NAVAIR.

Yeah....ditto that. DERF and MILCON is for maintenance and new buildings. Sometimes other funding is used for the physical plant, too. but those are the big players. NAVAIR is for planes. Note: Even maintaining vs building is different funds, even if “maintaining” is actually building something.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
The T-6 is okay for use at OLFs if you just go low approach or practice an ELP. Otherwise you have to make sure you definitely touch down within the first 100 feet or so of the runway - or call the wave off. No way you can bring the T-6 to a full stop at some of them.

What kind of runway length are we talking?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
It's quite obvious. Due to popular demand on AirWarriors (I hear the SECNAV and CNO get briefed on it weekly), has decided that 100% will get jets.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot

What are the Runway length limitations for the T-6? Furthermore, would there be anyway to get an assist with stopping from something similar to Beta? (obviously requiring a bit of a rebuild...)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It's GOT to be good gouge then...

Ha, you know it's the best!!

Seriously, I know it is a classic "so I heard" story, but regardless of the reasoning why it was delayed there's got to be a pretty good reason why the riggers are starting to ramp up wrt gear for the T-6.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
What are the Runway length limitations for the T-6? Furthermore, would there be anyway to get an assist with stopping from something similar to Beta? (obviously requiring a bit of a rebuild...)

It was 3000' when I was at vance a short time ago. Not sure what they could do about the rebuild. It is variable pitch though, so I would think it could be done.

Jay

That's a function of what kind of system is supplying the instrument with data and not whether the gauge is analog or digital. A glass cockpit connected to an older mechanical INS like CAINS will suffer from all the aforementioned inaccuracies.
Brett
True, but the T-6 is neither connected to a mechanical INS, nor old.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Hmmm....thats odd if those numbers are correct. Our shortest OLF is 18/36 at A-County and it is 4500'. The rest are right around 5000'.

Wonder if there is something else here that we are unaware of.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
If I remember correctly - could be off, but I think 4,000 ft was a SOP limit and the 3,000 ft was the actually aircraft limit... something like that

Shortest OLF in vic NASWF is roughly 4000' (2 fields) with all remaining 5000', and homefield being 6000'. I don't see what the problem would be with doing full stops at the OLFs in that case...