• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-44 For The P-8?

81montedriver

pilot
Google didn't really narrow it down much but i'm assuming Electronic Flight Display System? What makes it different from the legacy birds?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Yeah...

It replaces the ADI and HSI with glass versions. Its not a 100% glass cockpit, but is certainly better than legacy instruments.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I don't really think an electronic HSI and ADI a glass cockpit makes. When people talk about glass, they mean several MFDs that can give you a moving map, attitude and HSI, all the steam gauges, and whatever else the software programmers can dream up. CNS/ATM on an EFDS is pretty gee whiz neato for our community, but it is not this:
inlinephoto_20.jpg

P-8 will have that. Buttonology, CRM, and keeping all the old skills nice and sharp once you've learned how to set up the 5 plasma screen TVs in front of you will be the point behind training in the 44C.

statesman

pilot
Fair enough, but the T-44C doesn't have all that much more glass than a P-3 with CNS/ATM... I understand the thinking there, but only picking people out of 31 that flew 44Cs seems a little overboard to me... Someone who flies 44As or C-12s could just as easily perform in the P-8. At least thats my expectation... my opinion might change in a year as we transition.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Fair enough, but the T-44C doesn't have all that much more glass than a P-3 with CNS/ATM... I understand the thinking there, but only picking people out of 31 that flew 44Cs seems a little overboard to me... Someone who flies 44As or C-12s could just as easily perform in the P-8. At least thats my expectation... my opinion might change in a year as we transition.

Seems thats why they are identifying students prior to their departure from primary. It seems like a lot of the time the P-3 selectors know the day they select they got P-3s. There are occasions where students find out they got Maritime, but don't know for several days what platform... I get the feeling this coincides with filling the T-44C classes that they project classing up in Corpus. Is it an ideal situation? No, but thats the way it is. If you want P-8s leaving primary, put it down or put P-3s down and you'll transition if your in the community long enough.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've flown steam gauges, the semi-glass like the P-3 CNS?ATM and full glass. I've found it is harder to go from glass backwards than steam forward. Until steam gauge cockpits no longer exist, everyone should have a good grasp of flying steam prior to going glass. In my opinion, steam gauges provide the pilot with better fundamentals on which to build their skills.

81montedriver

pilot
I don't really think an electronic HSI and ADI a glass cockpit makes. When people talk about glass, they mean several MFDs that can give you a moving map, attitude and HSI, all the steam gauges, and whatever else the software programmers can dream up. CNS/ATM on an EFDS is pretty gee whiz neato for our community, but it is not this:
inlinephoto_20.jpg

P-8 will have that. Buttonology, CRM, and keeping all the old skills nice and sharp once you've learned how to set up the 5 plasma screen TVs in front of you will be the point behind training in the 44C.

Now THAT'S a cockpit ;)

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
From the wannabe prospective FlyBoyd's submission obviously wins.....

It has a cup holder.

statesman

pilot
I'll take this one...
boeing787cockpitbyjetplanes252882529.jpg
I dont know if the MPRA community is going to be able to handle an aircraft where all the cockpits look the same, and instrumentation is in a logical and reasonable place.... We're going to have to move some of those screens around in at least a few aircraft...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I dont know if the MPRA community is going to be able to handle an aircraft where all the cockpits look the same, and instrumentation is in a logical and reasonable place.... We're going to have to move some of those screens around in at least a few aircraft...

Definitely needs a standby attitude indicator hidden somewhere random; a few knobs to lights no one uses, a few lights with no conceivable knob to adjust them, and a glare shield that rattles itself loose every time you glance at it sharply. Won't be a proper airplane without these.