• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

AU_Aviator

So from what you are saying about the DI's being objective, if you do what you are told up until the RLP and don't do anything stupid to make yourself stand out above everybody else and do your best at getting everything in its place, then you still might fail but the chances aren't as great as somebody who has done the opposite.

So far that one video and summary of the day have been the major standout from all the others. That would not be a day that I would be looking forward to but would be one where I was gald it was over with.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Let me clue some of you guys into something here...You would think an inspection like RLP is all about objectivity. In otherwords, there are standards for everything, no lint, no IP's, shirts 6"x6" etc...

In reality though, they are completely subjective. Sure, the DI's are going to use those criteria to club you with (WHAAAT! YOU'VE GOT NO GODDANG ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!!!!) etc...But here is the key. NOTHING IS EVER PERFECT!!! Your shit will NEVER be right. You can get 100 hits, because the DI's WANT to give you 100 hits. They want to give you 100 hits because they are trying to send you a message.​

This is exactly right! And you didn't even go to OCS, did you scoober??

If the DI wants to fail you, he'll FIND the hits. And if he especially wants to make you feel like shit, he'll give you 21 hits and fail you with a 79. That one hurts...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A very basic question, and I will caveat it by saying I have not been able to watch parts of the story yet. What are these so-called 'beatings'? I know they can't be actual beatings, so what are they?

P.S. I think it is wryly ironic that something that is not a beating is called such. :confused:

MasterBates

I don't think the real beatings will be on camera.

There were out of the way places in Pensacola (or in the barracks when noone else was there) that the DIs would take you to beat the shat out of you if they determined you needed it.

I hate the SUYA. 6-1/2 years later, and I still think I have sand coming out of places it should never have gotten from that place.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
A very basic question, and I will caveat it by saying I have not been able to watch parts of the story yet. What are these so-called 'beatings'? I know they can't be actual beatings, so what are they?

P.S. I think it is wryly ironic that something that is not a beating is called such. :confused:

Just OCS slang for brutal PT sessions. Like "damn we got a beating because of Joboy again."

BackOrdered

Contributor

My sister said the same thing once.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just OCS slang for brutal PT sessions. Like "damn we got a beating because of Joboy again."

That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure though.

There were out of the way places in Pensacola (or in the barracks when noone else was there) that the DIs would take you to beat the shat out of you if they determined you needed it.

This is part of the reason that I find the term a little funny/strange. It is almost like you are trying to make something that is very tough already sound tougher.

BackOrdered

Contributor
This is part of the reason that I find the term a little funny/strange. It is almost like you are trying to make something that is very tough already sound tougher.

Same here

Maybe it derived from once upon a time when they were just that.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I can't believe I was ever able to get my tees folded in to a 6"x6" square!! I failed an RLP and was fine after the immediate re-inspect. My DI told me later it was to see who the class would and would not rally behind. The other dude got rolled back a few classes and later attrited I think. I still can't figure out how to lose a pair of pants though....One more anecdote...when I was the candi-O grading 4th week RLP...some dude actually diplayed his sweatty socks that he had PT'd in that morning!!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I can't believe I was ever able to get my tees folded in to a 6"x6" square!! I failed an RLP and was fine after the immediate re-inspect. My DI told me later it was to see who the class would and would not rally behind. The other dude got rolled back a few classes and later attrited I think. I still can't figure out how to lose a pair of pants though....One more anecdote...when I was the candi-O grading 4th week RLP...some dude actually diplayed his sweatty socks that he had PT'd in that morning!!

You guys PT'd the morning of RLP? I know we didn't do that when I was there. Anyone else still have their perfectly stamped small white t-shirts... the ones that fold real easy? I just found mine... along w/ all my stamped black socks... and my ruler.

Before I left P'Cola, a friend and I went back to squad bay... even 2 years after OCS... the smell is still ingrained into my mind.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Let me clue some of you guys into something here...You would think an inspection like RLP is all about objectivity. In otherwords, there are standards for everything, no lint, no IP's, shirts 6"x6" etc...

In reality though, they are completely subjective. Sure, the DI's are going to use those criteria to club you with (WHAAAT! YOU'VE GOT NO GODDANG ATTENTION TO DETAIL!!!!!) etc...But here is the key. NOTHING IS EVER PERFECT!!! Your shit will NEVER be right. You can get 100 hits, because the DI's WANT to give you 100 hits. They want to give you 100 hits because they are trying to send you a message.​

The fact of the matter is that your RLP results are decided in the days and weeks prior to the inspection. That's not official, but it's true. The actual score happens on the day of the RLP, but they already know in their minds who is going to pass and who isn't.

RLPs also reveal a lot more to the staff. What do you think that their impression is of a guy who has all of stuff squared away but his roomates all are AFU? They're a lot less impressed with him that you might think. He's obviously not a very good team player.

BTW....do they still do the "poopie week RLP" before outposting?

Talk about an unpassable inspection.......

BigRed389

None
The fact of the matter is that your RLP results are decided in the days and weeks prior to the inspection. That's not official, but it's true. The actual score happens on the day of the RLP, but they already know in their minds who is going to pass and who isn't.

RLPs also reveal a lot more to the staff. What do you think that their impression is of a guy who has all of stuff squared away but his roomates all are AFU? They're a lot less impressed with him that you might think. He's obviously not a very good team player.

BTW....do they still do the "poopie week RLP" before outposting?

Talk about an unpassable inspection.......

At the end of Pcola, nope. We just had outpost, where the class officers quizzed you, inspected your "uniform"(poopies-so of course, you stink), then at the end, the DIs come in full blast and tear into you.