• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
At the end of Pcola, nope. We just had outpost, where the class officers quizzed you, inspected your "uniform"(poopies-so of course, you stink), then at the end, the DIs come in full blast and tear into you.

They used to get you all psyched up for the poopie week RLP by saying that you'd get liberty if you passed. The last day of poopie week we were in wash khakis and flight boots (I think, which would have been the 1st time not to wear the poopie suits and chrome domes) and worked all fucking night getting ready.

When the inspection happenned all hell broke loose. Every DI in both battalions came through and just destroyed the place. There was absolutely ZERO chance of passing the inspection.

The rest of the time was just a blur of PT and frantically trying to stuff everything we owned into a seabag for "deathmarch" to our new battalion. The 1/4 mile "march" took about an hour and was more akin to a sliding PT session than a march.

Harrassment package at it's best. Too bad it's gone. Same with the rose garden and the room called "Hell".

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I remember HATING that stupid stenciling kit.....I most have gone through a dozen white tees and even more hankys before I got it right.

Jackal8

They used to get you all psyched up for the poopie week RLP by saying that you'd get liberty if you passed. The last day of poopie week we were in wash khakis and flight boots (I think, which would have been the 1st time not to wear the poopie suits and chrome domes) and worked all fucking night getting ready.

When the inspection happenned all hell broke loose. Every DI in both battalions came through and just destroyed the place. There was absolutely ZERO chance of passing the inspection.

The rest of the time was just a blur of PT and frantically trying to stuff everything we owned into a seabag for "deathmarch" to our new battalion. The 1/4 mile "march" took about an hour and was more akin to a sliding PT session than a march.

Harrassment package at it's best. Too bad it's gone. Same with the rose garden and the room called "Hell".

We had that when I went through in 2007 in Pensacola, but I'm not sure how it works in Newport. We were in khakis and sneakers instead of flight boots and had only earned the privilege of wearing certain pieces of the khaki uniform. We were initially quizzed by the class instructors and then the DIs came in and all hell broke loose. Our DI stood in the middle of the room as we were PT’d by the other DIs. When directed by our DI we were supposed to place certain items in our sea bags, but, of course, that was rather difficult to do so while the other DIs PT’d and yelled at you.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
7 years ago when I went through that....I was numb, emotionally and physically. I remember just wanting to run with the herd and survive. There were, (are), plenty of people that couldn't even deal with being yelled at 2 inches from there face without having a catastrophic meltdown.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
...Too bad it's gone...
It isn't gone, but it has changed. From what the Indoc'ing Ensigns told us afterwards the Newport Outpost is pretty similar. The Rose Garden and the SUYA made the trip north and as soon as the new chow hall is constructed (which will be forever but is badly needed), ballistics will be back in full force. Newport will be very similar to what was in Pensacola. Just now, instead of heatstroke to watch out for, it'll be frostbite.
Does Newport OCS still have the "RLP Santa Claus"?
Not entirely sure what this is, but if it's what I think, no, but only because the DI's haven't thought to degrade someone like that. Again, don't worry, they have equally awful ideas they're using. One of the pictures form the Providence Journal's piece shows a candidate with his rifle out with Gunny J. hanging his clothes on it while inspecting it. I can't explain how happy that made me when I found out that happened - especially since it didn't happen to me.... during one of my THREE inspections.

MasterBates

Sand Up Your Ass.

The sandpit between the battalions, that is out of sight. Its near the big AC unit condensers for the galley.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Sand Up Your Ass.

The sandpit between the battalions, that is out of sight. Its near the big AC unit condensers for the galley.

Got it. We never called it that, but it certainly fits. I think that's where my DI made us dig a hole with the lids from our shoe polish cans while doing mountain climbers. Good times..........

BigRed389

None
It isn't gone, but it has changed. From what the Indoc'ing Ensigns told us afterwards the Newport Outpost is pretty similar. The Rose Garden and the SUYA made the trip north and as soon as the new chow hall is constructed (which will be forever but is badly needed), ballistics will be back in full force. Newport will be very similar to what was in Pensacola. Just now, instead of heatstroke to watch out for, it'll be frostbite.

Not entirely sure what this is, but if it's what I think, no, but only because the DI's haven't thought to degrade someone like that. Again, don't worry, they have equally awful ideas they're using. One of the pictures form the Providence Journal's piece shows a candidate with his rifle out with Gunny J. hanging his clothes on it while inspecting it. I can't explain how happy that made me when I found out that happened - especially since it didn't happen to me.... during one of my THREE inspections.

Well shit, that's exactly how my re-inspect with him went.

Gunny J was the shit. Heard he got selected to First Sergeant too.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

When the inspection happened all hell broke loose. Every DI in both battalions came through and just destroyed the place. There was absolutely ZERO chance of passing the inspection.

Yes this is called "outpost". You wear your wash khakis for the first time (except bigred's class because they didn't have all their uniforms yet). It is an exercise in futility just to generate stress and show you a fraction of what RLP will be like. It is just to abuse you in preparation for the slaying that awaits after.

The fact of the matter is that your RLP results are decided in the days and weeks prior to the inspection. That's not official, but it's true. The actual score happens on the day of the RLP, but they already know in their minds who is going to pass and who isn't.

RLPs also reveal a lot more to the staff. What do you think that their impression is of a guy who has all of stuff squared away but his roomates all are AFU? They're a lot less impressed with him that you might think. He's obviously not a very good team player.

EXACTLY. You are expected to be a team player so if your roommates are AFU, as was stated above, you will not be looked favorably upon.

It was for THAT reason I seriously though I was going to attrite. I was roommates with a guy on my third inspection (after I rolled) with a guy who was COMPLETELY useless. He didn't do a SINGLE thing for himself, complained that we weren't being team players by doing his stuff for him. He was the typical, coddled, homeschooled-until-college type.

We offered our assistance as much as we could, but he literally did 15% of what he should have and didn't do ANYTHING for anyone else (being a team player). Finally the night before we did as much of his stuff for him as we could, but it was futile. He would have failed anyway (clothing items were USED and NASTY, and barely at dimensions) but right before the inspection, he locked his locker and didn't know the combination.

Finally, 5 minutes before the inspection, a candio is smashing his lock with his M1 and yelling at him that he's going to fail and he must be crazy to have prepared like this. Even our class DI came in, not yelling, but just looking at him in amazement and helping the candio break the lock. Then finally he has his locker open, looking like ass, and he realizes he is missing a table-display item (missing item = auto-failure). Our Chief comes in and goes: "Hey candidates! Why is your shipmate AFU?? Oh man, you guys are going to fail! This whole room is going to fail! It's your fault he's AFU!"

Officer comes in to inspect him, sees missing item and tells him he automatically failed. Looks at us and walks out. At this point, I am contemplating my time at great lakes and beyond. Finally I get inspected and pass.

This sorry candidate is forced to run through the halls throwing his own stuff and other people's stuff into rooms. He is ordered to open the door, say "I am the RLP santa claus!", then he is to throw his shit in there and move on to the next room and do the same. He is later forced to wear skivvies on his head and a blanket around his neck, and do the same thing, except this time say "I am batman!" before throwing shit in people's rooms.

At this point, I am standing in the hallway with my other roommates singing Christmas carols for "santa claus". I am Jewish and don't know more than a line of "jingle bells" and when asked by my chief why I am no longer singing I reply "Sir, this candidate does not know any christmas carols!". He tells me to learn some quickly or I shall pay. I promptly sing the one line I know over and over. I think he smiles and walks off.

It was absolute mayhem, but in retrospect (and even at the time) some of the funniest sh!t I've ever seen.... :D

RLP is a blast!

edit: oh, ya. RLP Santa clause had a psychological breakdown, ended up attriting. Poor guy should NEVER have been sent to OCS. The second you met him, you'd know the end result.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
edit: oh, ya. RLP Santa clause had a psychological breakdown, ended up attriting. Poor guy should NEVER have been sent to OCS. The second you met him, you'd know the end result.

BS is not joking either. He literally went crazy while he was there and was hospitalized. He showed back up again and the same thing happened a couple of weeks later. And I totally agree that he never should have found his way to OCS.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It was for THAT reason I seriously though I was going to attrite...
I was under the impression that the only way to attrite was to DOR or to break one of the rules that aren't meant to be broken. Are there a limited number of chances you get to pass RLP, too?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was under the impression that the only way to attrite was to DOR or to break one of the rules that aren't meant to be broken. Are there a limited number of chances you get to pass RLP, too?

If you fail RLP too many times, you go to another board (after PRB) and they determine your fate.

Unfortunately, one BDCPer at OCS failed 4 times and was sent to great lakes. He also posted on AW quite a few times as well, and probably is a name known by some on here....

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Well, I intend to go in there and give it my all regardless, because I don't want to roll out anyway. I wasn't going to use that as an excuse to slack off or anything. Good to know, though.