• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

TheDR

Does anyone know if there is a chance to just setup Navy Fed at OCS? Not sure if I should just try and set it up now, I’ve heard they offer it at boot camp but wasn’t sure if it was the same case for OCS. (Also I’ve heard most people say recently navy fed>USAA, not sure if that’s the general consensus here too)

villo0692

Does anyone know if there is a chance to just setup Navy Fed at OCS? Not sure if I should just try and set it up now, I’ve heard they offer it at boot camp but wasn’t sure if it was the same case for OCS. (Also I’ve heard most people say recently navy fed>USAA, not sure if that’s the general consensus here too)
You won’t have an opportunity to do that there

Tracker95

set up Navy Fed now, they provide a form you give to OCS for direct deposit.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Can anyone please tell me how strict they are with push-up form? Like do we have to get down to that 90 degree for the push-up to be counted?
They are quite strict. You think people who roll Indoc didn’t accidentally fool at least one recruiter and themselves into thinking they were in good shape? Aim for at least a Good-Medium amount of perfect pushups.

enzy24

I'd file this under stupid questions, so here we go;
generally all of the official packing lists include shampoo, but considering I'll have next to no hair I'd be inclined to just use body/face wash on my hair as well. Would this be acceptable or do they strictly expect that I will have a container of shampoo?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I'd file this under stupid questions, so here we go;
generally all of the official packing lists include shampoo, but considering I'll have next to no hair I'd be inclined to just use body/face wash on my hair as well. Would this be acceptable or do they strictly expect that I will have a container of shampoo?
You’ll have to stow your shower gear for inspections anyways, so do whatever makes you feel clean and makes you smell good. I think I used some 3-in-1 stuff.

Last edited:

enzy24

You’ll have to stow your shower gear for inspections anyways, so do whatever makes you feel clean and makes you smell good. I think I used some 3-in-1 stuff.
Perfect, thanks for the response. That's basically what I was hoping to bring.

ceetea90

Hello all,
I would like to ask some more questions:
- For active duty, will you be able to take leave before reporting to RI?

- Most likely, I will be somewhere in Japan when I leave my ship, will I be able to take leave, stop at San Diego to drop off my personal stuffs? Or do I have to go straight to RI? If I stop at SD, will I have to pay for the ticket from Japan -> SD?

- My contract end Oct 2024, do I have to re-enlist before reporting to RI? Or I can do it after graduate?

- ROM is only apply to those who are not vaccinated?

- The OCS website recommend to bring 3 weeks worth of laundry detergent, toiletries, etc. --> Does it mean that we can go to the NEX after week 3?

- How do you wake up with no phone-alarm? Can we bring a desk clock with alarm and put it away after waking up?

- What did you bring to OCS that you wish you didn't?

- What didn't you bring to OCS that you wish you did?

Thank you in advance!

Tracker95

Hello all,

- Most likely, I will be somewhere in Japan when I leave my ship, will I be able to take leave, stop at San Diego to drop off my personal stuffs? Or do I have to go straight to RI? If I stop at SD, will I have to pay for the ticket from Japan -> SD?

- My contract end Oct 2024, do I have to re-enlist before reporting to RI? Or I can do it after graduate?

- The OCS website recommend to bring 3 weeks worth of laundry detergent, toiletries, etc. --> Does it mean that we can go to the NEX after week 3?

- How do you wake up with no phone-alarm? Can we bring a desk clock with alarm and put it away after waking up?

Thank you in advance!
this will help with some of your questions: the-real-ocs-packing-guide

Conqueror’sHaki

SWOTIVATED MUSTANG
Hello all,

Thank you in advance!

You'll have an opportunity to take leave before going to OTCN if your orders are formatted that way

Regarding travel, you'll work with your travel coordinator and the special programs detailer to get that going. If anything, you'll come out of pocket and be forced to throw it on a travel claim which probably won't be resolved for another year to be honest.

You won't have to re-enlist. Are you selected already?

Yes, ROM for unvaccinated last I checked.

Don't count on the NEX runs. Bring 3 weeks worth of stuff then go from there.

Bring a small watch with an alarm. Put it away when you post out.

One thing I brought to OCS that I'm glad that I did was an extended handle extra large lint roller on Amazon. I wish I bought a couple replacement rolls for it.

Look up packing lists. Be realistic with what you can fit inside two little drawers for 13 weeks.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
Hello all,

Thank you in advance!
Side note, Officer do not “re-enlist”, they are commissioned, so once you graduate OCS, you do your obliserve and go from there

DJ9001

I have some stupid questions. I have taken the ASTB have meps scheduled so I am not very far into the process.

1. Do you sign before or after being selected by the board? In other words, when are you officially committed?

2. Regarding DORs for OCS, when can this be done and can anyone do it? Can they deny your request to drop?

3. In flight school, what is the average class size you are competing with? Specifically when you are "choosing" your preferred platform.

4. What is the fatality and disability rate for pilots of the various platforms? I know it can be a dangerous job, but there have been a lot of training incidents lately and I would be curious to see the numbers.

I have found some info for these questions, and I know these are focused on the negative side of things but it has been more difficult to find answers for these topics. Life happens and I want to know the process inside and out to truly know my options, and I will follow up with my recruiter and read my paperwork when the time comes.