• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

allegroreyees

Student Naval Aviator
I have some stupid questions. I have taken the ASTB have meps scheduled so I am not very far into the process.

1. Do you sign before or after being selected by the board? In other words, when are you officially committed?

2. Regarding DORs for OCS, when can this be done and can anyone do it? Can they deny your request to drop?

3. In flight school, what is the average class size you are competing with? Specifically when you are "choosing" your preferred platform.

4. What is the fatality and disability rate for pilots of the various platforms? I know it can be a dangerous job, but there have been a lot of training incidents lately and I would be curious to see the numbers.

I have found some info for these questions, and I know these are focused on the negative side of things but it has been more difficult to find answers for these topics. Life happens and I want to know the process inside and out to truly know my options, and I will follow up with my recruiter and read my paperwork when the time comes.
I can answer your first few questions.

1. You'll sign enlistment documents a few months before leaving for OCS. You're not "committed" to anything when you sign these. You can DOR at OCS and the early parts of flight school if you really want to. You shouldn't and it would be a lot of wasted time but technically it is a possibility.

2. OCS is a voluntary program. You can DOR at any time. No staffmember/ Candi-O, etc. can deny your request. It's that straight forward.

3. I can't speak for primary, when you're assigned what platform that you'll be flying, but NIFE usually classes up about 25 a week.

Sjohnny15

I have some stupid questions. I have taken the ASTB have meps scheduled so I am not very far into the process.

1. Do you sign before or after being selected by the board? In other words, when are you officially committed?

2. Regarding DORs for OCS, when can this be done and can anyone do it? Can they deny your request to drop?

3. In flight school, what is the average class size you are competing with? Specifically when you are "choosing" your preferred platform.

4. What is the fatality and disability rate for pilots of the various platforms? I know it can be a dangerous job, but there have been a lot of training incidents lately and I would be curious to see the numbers.

I have found some info for these questions, and I know these are focused on the negative side of things but it has been more difficult to find answers for these topics. Life happens and I want to know the process inside and out to truly know my options, and I will follow up with my recruiter and read my paperwork when the time comes.
1.I’m prior enlisted so not sure when you sign, I would assume the day you go to OCS and swear in. That’s how it was when I went to boot camp. But you can DOR at OCS at anytime and quit. You can DOR in flight school as well, at anytime, and nobody can deny your request do DOR-ever. If you are past OCS though, they will most likely re-designate you. OCS isn’t the real navy so even if you hate it there, don’t DOR because you think that’s what being in the navy is like. It’s not even close. Way way way better on the outside. As far as selecting, totally varies week to week on how many student complete. Can be anywhere from 1-15 from what I have seen. I’d say an average of maybe 6-8 or so. Fatality rates…I have no science behind that. Marine ospreys have been having a lot of issues. Navy helos don’t have an ejection seat so you run a little more risk with that. P-8’s and E-6’s are the safest by far. Anything landing on a carrier runs extra risk. Feel free to message me with any questions, been in the navy a little over six years and am currently in primary-very early stages of primary so I don’t have detailed questions passed my current stage but I do see selection sheets each week.

Sjohnny15

1.I’m prior enlisted so not sure when you sign, I would assume the day you go to OCS and swear in. That’s how it was when I went to boot camp. But you can DOR at OCS at anytime and quit. You can DOR in flight school as well, at anytime, and nobody can deny your request do DOR-ever. If you are past OCS though, they will most likely re-designate you. OCS isn’t the real navy so even if you hate it there, don’t DOR because you think that’s what being in the navy is like. It’s not even close. Way way way better on the outside. As far as selecting, totally varies week to week on how many student complete. Can be anywhere from 1-15 from what I have seen. I’d say an average of maybe 6-8 or so. Fatality rates…I have no science behind that. Marine ospreys have been having a lot of issues. Navy helos don’t have an ejection seat so you run a little more risk with that. P-8’s and E-6’s are the safest by far. Anything landing on a carrier runs extra risk. Feel free to message me with any questions, been in the navy a little over six years and am currently in primary-very early stages of primary so I don’t have detailed questions passed my current stage but I do see selection sheets each week.
Also, you should be 100% sure when you go to OCS that it is what you want. You are taking
Up other peoples spots, especially in flight school, that would give anything to be there. So keep that in mind when applying. I recommend getting some flight time before flying to make sure you enjoy it

PEFO Silver-Shades

You Are "Officially Committed" The day you start your first day at OCS. You do "Swear In" a couple weeks prior

You Can Drop anytime during OCS, and they do love to constantly remind you that OCS is training environment and that anyone has the ability to DOR at anytime

Im Unable to answer the remaining questions

DJ9001

Thank you for your replies everyone. That was much faster than expected.

Good to know there is some flexibility and I hope I never have to make use of it.

Triumph_MAC

Throw number 2 away and never plant that seed of possibility. If you leave for OCS, go there with the mindset that the only way you’re leaving is as a Commissioned Officer. If you know you can quit anytime and have that mindset, it will be easy to do so if/when training gets tough.

That’s just my two sense though.

Ty Corfield

Couple of quick questions...
1. Does anyone have an update on number of tickets allowed for graduation? I know this is subject to change but I just wanted to get the current number from anyone who just graduated.
2. If I were to go to OCS on July 24th, does anyone know specifically how/when the pay would start? I've heard it's on the 1st and 15th of each month, so would it be partial pay on the 1st of August and full on the 15th? Or am I interpreting that wrong?

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
1. Does anyone have an update on number of tickets allowed for graduation? I know this is subject to change but I just wanted to get the current number from anyone who just graduated.
2. If I were to go to OCS on July 24th, does anyone know specifically how/when the pay would start? I've heard it's on the 1st and 15th of each month, so would it be partial pay on the 1st of August and full on the 15th? Or am I interpreting that wrong?
I don’t have an updated answer for your first question. Last I’ll check however it was 2 tickets, recently rtc Great Lakes upgraded how many people were allowed at graduation, not sure if they done for ocs yet

2. Your pay starts the day you arrive.. Now however long your money takes to reflect could take a month, but your pay starts immediately following the 1st and 15th. Should be a full check too

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

It can take a month if not more to receive your first paycheck. Once it does come in, it’ll account for your first day at OCS.

Lots of other info about OCS you can find here:

villo0692

my class was guaranteed three tickets for each person, and there were a couple extra who were given to candidates who really needed a fourth one....so I had four people attend my graduation

Ty Corfield

Hey everyone....I'm a prior and should be heading to OCS before the end of the year (waiting on FINSEL). I plan on just purchasing all new items during the uniform/item issue while at OCS. The only exception (aside from the required items to bring) is that I want to buy a new pair of black boots to break in between now and when I ship out. I want to make sure that I show up with something that will be approved. I've attached a picture from my uniform shop showing the boots they carry. The 360 ST seems like the standard issue. 490 ST is far more comfortable but still says it's ashore and shipboard approved. I assume that the 800 ST may not be authorized. I plan to buy the 490 ST if someone on here had insight on whether these would be ok. Breaking in new boots can be one of the worst experiences especially if it includes a strenous PT regimen. Any ideas on how strict they are at OTC with bringing boots? Thanks guys.
This is from a three year old post. Any recent grads have updated info on this? Can you go with comfier boots or are they picky about them being standard issue? And I’ve heard to order a size smaller than what you typically wear. Is this pretty accurate?