• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
This is from a three year old post. Any recent grads have updated info on this? Can you go with comfier boots or are they picky about them being standard issue? And I’ve heard to order a size smaller than what you typically wear. Is this pretty accurate?
Black leather and steel toe. Buy Rocky, Belleville or something on the approved item list. They’ll be inspected for serviceability. If they’re jacked up, you’ll have to buy new boots.

The Rockys you’re issued at Newport aren’t bad once broken in, but some people prefer Belleville.

I wear a 10 in sneakers and all of my issued shoes are 9.5.

Rtjenkins

Ricky Jenkins
Black leather and steel toe. Buy Rocky, Belleville or something on the approved item list. They’ll be inspected for serviceability. If they’re jacked up, you’ll have to buy new boots.

The Rockys you’re issued at Newport aren’t bad once broken in, but some people prefer Belleville.

I concur, I wear a 10.5 but my flight decks boots are 9.5

slick99

Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring either a foam roller or lacrosse ball to OCS? I use both of them religiously with running

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Does anyone know if we are allowed to bring either a foam roller or lacrosse ball to OCS? I use both of them religiously with running
Yes. You’ll have a “two drawer” whose drawers are about 3 feet wide, 1.5 feet deep, and 6 inches tall. This two drawer can be locked and cannot be inspected except for “Health and Wellness” checks. Anything that can fit into the two drawer, you can bring.

Pro-tip: They don’t really check your desk drawers ever, so you can put them in there, as well.

Ty Corfield

Thanks! Any recommendation on whether to get the 360, 490 or 800? I don’t know the difference between them or if any of them are not allowed at OCS. I’m only assuming the ST after the numbers means they are all steel toed?

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Thanks! Any recommendation on whether to get the 360, 490 or 800? I don’t know the difference between them or if any of them are not allowed at OCS. I’m only assuming the ST after the numbers means they are all steel toed?
Can’t tell you anything about the style differences. Just make sure they’re black leather, steel toed, and on the authorized list.

Leiferrot

Hi everyone! Thanks for having this thread, it's very insightful! Just a quick question: I heard some LDO/CWO candidates have applied and submitted a Letter to the Board similar to CPO boards. The 1420 does not delineate whether or not it is acceptable - it actually doesn't mention anything at all about it. Does anyone know if one can be submitted for OCS? I know the boards are structured the same way, I just wanted to confirm if anyone has ever done so or if it'll possibly hurt my chances? Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi everyone! Thanks for having this thread, it's very insightful! Just a quick question: I heard some LDO/CWO candidates have applied and submitted a Letter to the Board similar to CPO boards. The 1420 does not delineate whether or not it is acceptable - it actually doesn't mention anything at all about it. Does anyone know if one can be submitted for OCS? I know the boards are structured the same way, I just wanted to confirm if anyone has ever done so or if it'll possibly hurt my chances? Thanks!

If nothing is mentioned about it, then it’s likely not acceptable.

At the same time, typical LTBs like evals, awards, etc. honestly don’t matter much for OCS boards.

Leiferrot

If nothing is mentioned about it, then it’s likely not acceptable.

At the same time, typical LTBs like evals, awards, etc. honestly don’t matter much for OCS boards.
Thank you for your response! What about a letter that will help highlight certain parts of my career that would show how I can be successful within the program?

RhodesReese

Thank you for your response! What about a letter that will help highlight certain parts of my career that would show how I can be successful within the program?
Add it to your OCS package. A LTB is used to speak directly to the board to add information on certain aspects of your career or missing items from your record. Such as, why you never got your ESWS despite being on two ships. Or why you have a break in eval reporting.

If you have an award, cert, qual etc put it in your OCS package. If you want to highlight why you are qualified for a specific designator either let your package/record speak for itself or have someone in your CoC write a LOR highlighting those qualities, and then add that LOR to your OCS package.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Add it to your OCS package. A LTB is used to speak directly to the board to add information on certain aspects of your career or missing items from your record. Such as, why you never got your ESWS despite being on two ships. Or why you have a break in eval reporting.

No, the applicant motivational statement is where this can be used.

Leiferrot

What program are you applying for? Quite frankly your GPA and ASTB/OAR are what’s going to make you stand out.
I'm applying for the new CWO 7371 program. The program manager and MyNavyHR stated that the application process will be via OCS and to utilize 1420 Ch.4 for guidance. I didn't see anything related to a career highlights letter I can submit, so I just wanted to see if that is something that has been done before and if it is acceptable.

Last edited:

Leiferrot

No, the applicant motivational statement is where this can be used.
I do see what you're saying. I have spoken to an officer who has sat multiple commissioning boards for LDO/CWO, but not OCS. However, he has stated that the board process is roughly the same. I wanted to provide the briefer who would be reviewing my package a means to more easily identify and highlight certain portions of my package that would identify me as a solid candidate. I also wanted the opportunity to explain certain leadership roles as there would be multiple designators conducting the board who may or may not be familiar with certain roles outside of their community.