• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

miss1ng

pilot
Quick question about shaving. Is shaving cream & double edged razors allowed? I know straight razors are not, but are safety razors allowed?

I didn't see anything listed about shaving cream, but I understand that canned shaving cream is aerosolized and wasn't sure if that's permitted.

bigbird

Biggest Bird
Quick question about shaving. Is shaving cream & double edged razors allowed? I know straight razors are not, but are safety razors allowed?

I didn't see anything listed about shaving cream, but I understand that canned shaving cream is aerosolized and wasn't sure if that's permitted.
I know that I have read in the DEP officer book that double edged razors are not authorized (might be out dated) however I second that question about shaving cream.

Ghost SWO

Contributor

I know that I have read in the DEP officer book that double edged razors are not authorized (might be out dated) however I second that question about shaving cream.
Obviously not a 1:1 here but if it's anything like USAF BMT, everyone had shaving cream. I'm pretty sure shaving cream is authorized.

I tried googling to find an answer and some people alluded to using shaving cream but couldn't find a document that authorized it specifically. The OCS website just says "hygiene products", and electric razors are authorized. Shaving cream shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

miss1ng

pilot
Obviously not a 1:1 here but if it's anything like USAF BMT, everyone had shaving cream. I'm pretty sure shaving cream is authorized.

I tried googling to find an answer and some people alluded to using shaving cream but couldn't find a document that authorized it specifically. The OCS website just says "hygiene products", and electric razors are authorized. Shaving cream shouldn't be an issue.

This is what I thought as well but I know OCS seems to have a pattern of not allowing anything aerosolized (aerosol sun screen, deodorant, sanitizer). So I’m curious if shaving cream still falls under that or not.

spolasek

I have a question about quarantining prior to OCS, I believe its called ROM? Are we responsible for housing ourselves for that? Would we have to pay for a hotel for two weeks? Or do they put us in barracks?

grze

I have a question about quarantining prior to OCS, I believe its called ROM? Are we responsible for housing ourselves for that? Would we have to pay for a hotel for two weeks? Or do they put us in barracks?
You’re staying on base. You will also be doing some online classes and PT.

spolasek

No worries. Also, people recommend taking laundry detergent and some PT clothes, as well as a tablet/laptop if you can.
No worries. Also, people recommend taking laundry detergent and some PT clothes, as well as a tablet/laptop if you can.

Oh! Good to know! Thank you so much! Would we still be responsible for getting a hotel the night before or would we just go straight to the barracks or base housing housing or whatever?

miss1ng

pilot
Oh! Good to know! Thank you so much! Would we still be responsible for getting a hotel the night before or would we just go straight to the barracks or base housing housing or whatever?

You'd need a hotel if you're showing up earlier than your report date, which you most likely will since you'll probably fly into Newport a day or two early.

Marcus_Aurelius

Question about prior service awards and conversion:
I have read that prior service should arrive to OCS with their previously acquired awards. I assume that most prior service in the USN would be prior-USN & USMC enlisted personnel, so they may not be in my specific situation. I know that many of my awards from the Army are not to be worn on the Navy uniform, however, I have also read that the Navy will convert them if the Navy has a similar award. If we are to arrive at OCS with our ribbon rack (for use during inspection & graduation), I am trying to determine which of my awards will be converted so that I can show up prepared.

I have found this website (US Navy Awards), but thus far it has yielded no valuable insight. SECNAVINST 1650.1H does not appear to cover this specific question, nor does, NAVPERS 15665I (Chapter 5).

Any information that you have regarding the following specific awards in question would be greatly appreciated (especially if you can source it):
  • Combat Infantryman Badge - I was told this converts to the Navy Combat Action Ribbon, can anyone confirm?
  • Expert Marksmanship Badge w/ Rifle Bar - I was told this converts to the Navy Expert Rifleman Ribbon w/ silver E, can anyone confirm?
  • Expert Marksmanship Badge w/ Pistol Bar - I was told this converts to the Navy Expert Pistol Ribbon w/ silver E, can anyone confirm?
  • Army Meritorious Unit Commendation - I was told this is transferred from the left side of the chest (if looking at the Service Member) to the right side of the chest (with the rest of the ribbon rack). I was also told that it retains it's golden frame. Can anyone confirm?
  • Air Assault Wings - I was told this does not transfer and cannot be worn on the Navy uniform. Can anyone confirm?

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Question about prior service awards and conversion:
I have read that prior service should arrive to OCS with their previously acquired awards. I assume that most prior service in the USN would be prior-USN & USMC enlisted personnel, so they may not be in my specific situation. I know that many of my awards from the Army are not to be worn on the Navy uniform, however, I have also read that the Navy will convert them if the Navy has a similar award. If we are to arrive at OCS with our ribbon rack (for use during inspection & graduation), I am trying to determine which of my awards will be converted so that I can show up prepared.

I have found this website (US Navy Awards), but thus far it has yielded no valuable insight. SECNAVINST 1650.1H does not appear to cover this specific question, nor does, NAVPERS 15665I (Chapter 5).

Any information that you have regarding the following specific awards in question would be greatly appreciated (especially if you can source it):
  • Combat Infantryman Badge - I was told this converts to the Navy Combat Action Ribbon, can anyone confirm?
  • Expert Marksmanship Badge w/ Rifle Bar - I was told this converts to the Navy Expert Rifleman Ribbon w/ silver E, can anyone confirm?
  • Expert Marksmanship Badge w/ Pistol Bar - I was told this converts to the Navy Expert Pistol Ribbon w/ silver E, can anyone confirm?
  • Army Meritorious Unit Commendation - I was told this is transferred from the left side of the chest (if looking at the Service Member) to the right side of the chest (with the rest of the ribbon rack). I was also told that it retains it's golden frame. Can anyone confirm?
  • Air Assault Wings - I was told this does not transfer and cannot be worn on the Navy uniform. Can anyone confirm?
This might help, it shows what you cannot wear which I have found useful:

Attachments

• Navy approved prior service medals.pdf
    368 KB · Views: 71

Ghost SWO

Contributor
Yes, thank you @Ghost SWO. That definitely helped. You, as per usual, have been very helpful. Out of curiosity, where did you find that document? I'm just trying to verify it's source.
No problem. Oh man I can't remember anymore. I did quite a bit of searching before finding that lol.

I think it's based on the guidance of what you can wear, which equates more simply to what you cannot wear.