• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

SeaShine

Contributor
Hopefully there's a recent graduate in here with a similiar situation. I am prior service and will be heading to OCS on 31JAN (14FEB class date). My family and I are currently stationed in Pensacola; however, I will be heading to OCS unaccompanied. What did you guys do for your families? I'm mostly wondering about the PCS process when I finally receive orders to my ultimate duty station. Will I have a chance to do a proper HHG and PCS, or will I have to head out to my ship immediately after graduation, while my husband and daughter figure out the move? Thanks!

Saukko

Hopeful Aviation Candidate
Hi everyone!

aviation candidate here, pretty sure I made selection just waiting on the official ProRec letter.

With that being said, I’m looking into getting boots and a watch that I can take with me to OCS. Is that something that’s allowed? I know the issued boots probably aren’t great, and have heard that watches with an alarm are useful.

Any insight on this? If I am able to do both, any links to regs so I get the right things?

thanks!

Csl221

Anybody know anything about OCS quarantine policy now. And what do you do during your two weeks of quarantine.
During your ROM you will have course work to do, PT twice a day and depending on the Candios you will learn procedures for OCS, for example, all the PT exercises.

Csl221

Hi everyone!

aviation candidate here, pretty sure I made selection just waiting on the official ProRec letter.

With that being said, I’m looking into getting boots and a watch that I can take with me to OCS. Is that something that’s allowed? I know the issued boots probably aren’t great, and have heard that watches with an alarm are useful.

Any insight on this? If I am able to do both, any links to regs so I get the right things?

thanks!
A watch is fine just has to be black or not flashy. As far as boots go we had a few priors bring their own pairs so they didn't have to buy more. However, any uniform item you bring will be inspected by your class team.

LoLo

Clown
Hi everyone!

thanks!

I don't quite understand how you can be expecting a pro-rec letter and only be "pretty sure" you made selection... If you haven't been explicitly told by your recruiter or your CoC that your package was approved, then nothing is for certain.

NEVERTHELESS, lemme help you put this carriage before the horse:

I think someone is being disingenuous with you. See, the boots you will be issued buy at OTCN are actually real freaking good once you break them in, and will last you 10+ years if you take care of them properly.
That being said, and for what it's worth–– if you make it through OCS+NAMI with your aviation designator intact, you can expect to be issued a free pair of Brown Belleville boots after starting NIFE in Pensacola. These are all you will wear for most of your career in Naval Aviation, for the exception of certain watches requiring the NWU Type III (and whatever other working uniform you are expected to wear during your disassociated tour, should you choose to take your career that far).
I have personally recommended to multiple OCS-bound buddies now, to just buy any DOD certified black leather 9 inch steel toe boots, found in this publication, have them somewhat blackened and buffed (if not neatly polished) and throw them in a bag until it's time to wear them at OCS.

As for the watch...
Whether or not you'll be allowed to wear one during the most arduous part(s) of training (read: ass-whoopings in the sandpit) is entirely up to your class team, but most classes are allowed to keep them in their respective hatches to use them as alarm clocks, at a minimum.
So, just buy something that is inexpensive, but rugged, and that has a decently loud alarm.

Saukko

Hopeful Aviation Candidate
I don't quite understand how you can be expecting a pro-rec letter and only be "pretty sure" you made selection... If you haven't been explicitly told by your recruiter or your CoC that your package was approved, then nothing is for certain.

NEVERTHELESS, lemme help you put this carriage before the horse:

I think someone is being disingenuous with you. See, the boots you will be issued buy at OTCN are actually real freaking good once you break them in, and will last you 10+ years if you take care of them properly.
That being said, and for what it's worth–– if you make it through OCS+NAMI with your aviation designator intact, you can expect to be issued a free pair of Brown Belleville boots after starting NIFE in Pensacola. These are all you will wear for most of your career in Naval Aviation, for the exception of certain watches requiring the NWU Type III (and whatever other working uniform you are expected to wear during your disassociated tour, should you choose to take your career that far).
I have personally recommended to multiple OCS-bound buddies now, to just buy any DOD certified black leather 9 inch steel toe boots, found in this publication, have them somewhat blackened and buffed (if not neatly polished) and throw them in a bag until it's time to wear them at OCS.

As for the watch...
Whether or not you'll be allowed to wear one during the most arduous part(s) of training (read: ass-whoopings in the sandpit) is entirely up to your class team, but most classes are allowed to keep them in their respective hatches to use them as alarm clocks, at a minimum.
So, just buy something that is inexpensive, but rugged, and that has a decently loud alarm.
Thanks for the detailed response! I appreciate the advice. I’ll probably just hold off on the boots then, I just had a bad experience with Army boots in the past when I gave a try at their ROTC program.

And to answer the question at the top of your post, my recruiter told me and sent screenshots that I have been placed on an OCS roster and given a convene date, but I haven’t gotten the letter yet.

thanks again!

Njbl

Hopefully there's a recent graduate in here with a similiar situation. I am prior service and will be heading to OCS on 31JAN (14FEB class date). My family and I are currently stationed in Pensacola; however, I will be heading to OCS unaccompanied. What did you guys do for your families? I'm mostly wondering about the PCS process when I finally receive orders to my ultimate duty station. Will I have a chance to do a proper HHG and PCS, or will I have to head out to my ship immediately after graduation, while my husband and daughter figure out the move? Thanks!
Im not a prior, but HHG/PCS was the same for all SWOs whether prior or not. It seemed that during OCS, all priors’ families stayed put at their previous duty station. After graduation, everyone was given a certain amount of days to get to their new duty station. Im not exactly sure on the numbers but I believe: 9 for San diego/everett, 4 for norfolk, 2 for pearl, 4/5 for mayport. You can start setting up your HHG immediately after you get your orders (around week 11 out of 13). Also, if you have leave available, you can wait to report til the last day of the month that your orders say you must arrive. You dont need to request this leave either bc its built into your orders. You wont need to go directly to ship bc youll prob be TAD before BDOC, which youll do pretty much nothing during (TAD that is, not BDOC). You will have time to do a proper HHG/PCS. Hope this helps.

bigbird

Biggest Bird
Does anyone know if the phase one plank at OCS means that they don’t count the event for the IST or is it just the in, mid, and out PRT they don’t count for. And just to double check that the phase 2 date for planks hasn’t changed from July 1 2021?

Jp127

Does anyone have any insight on our living situation after OCS graduation? I'm not married and have no kids. Ive heard we have 4 days to report to Pcola. Where do we stay once check in or are we responsible for getting something in place in those four days?

miss1ng

pilot
Does anyone have any insight on our living situation after OCS graduation? I'm not married and have no kids. Ive heard we have 4 days to report to Pcola. Where do we stay once check in or are we responsible for getting something in place in those four days?

Someone from my recruiting district said he was given about 2 weeks to report in to PCola. For housing, I believe you’re given temporary housing in the barracks while you search for a residence to buy/rent. Otherwise you can also live on base at the housing there but you won’t receive BAH.

Jp127

Someone from my recruiting district said he was given about 2 weeks to report in to PCola. For housing, I believe you’re given temporary housing in the barracks while you search for a residence to buy/rent. Otherwise you can also live on base at the housing there but you won’t receive BAH.
2 weeks would be so much more desirable than 4 days hahaha

Astro_Rekt

You're given a "Report NLT Date" (no later than) which is typically 2 weeks after you commission, but your report date is 4 days after you commission. You can use leave, and I recommend you do, to extend those 4 days up to your Report NLT Date.

You can access temporary housing, but most of the people I graduated with lined up housing before leaving Newport. Wanting to quarantine in their own space with their own food was a priority. At least it was for me.

Jp127

You're given a "Report NLT Date" (no later than) which is typically 2 weeks after you commission, but your report date is 4 days after you commission. You can use leave, and I recommend you do, to extend those 4 days up to your Report NLT Date.

You can access temporary housing, but most of the people I graduated with lined up housing before leaving Newport. Wanting to quarantine in their own space with their own food was a priority. At least it was for me.
Thanks so much for the clarification!