• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph123

Banned
Questions About Military Aviation

A few stupid questions about military aviation from someone who knows nothing about it.

1. Are all military flights IFR? If so, do they differ in any way from a civilian IFR flight?

2. Does the 250 KIAS rule under 10,000ft apply to military flights?

3. Where are you allowed to go supersonic?

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Joe, a little about yourself if you don't mind. I checked out your profile and...

About Joseph123 Biography.Location.Occupation.Interests.Latest News
Reminds me of Barrack HUSSEIN Nobama. The great unknown.

Shred some light if you would.

X

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A few stupid questions about military aviation from someone who knows nothing about it.

1. Are all military flights IFR? If so, do they differ in any way from a civilian IFR flight?

No worries...presto, change-o, we have a thread created precisely for this purpose, and you are there

Harrier Dude

Living the dream

1. No. When they are IFR....then "no" again.

2. Yes and no. If your NATOPs has a higher operating speed for safety of flight, then you can use that. Nobody expects you to bring a division of jets into the break at 250 knots. 550? Maybe not such a great idea at LAX. At NYL/NJK.....bring it.

3. I'll let a split-tail answer that. It doesn't come up much in my community (though it's been done......very bad idea).

Joseph123

Banned
Joe, a little about yourself if you don't mind. I checked out your profile and...

About Joseph123 Biography.Location.Occupation.Interests.Latest News
Reminds me of Barrack HUSSEIN Nobama. The great unknown.

Shred some light if you would.

X

I'm a high school student with an interest in flying in the military. I know a lot about aviation, with my father and all his friends being aviators, in addition to my great interest; but I know very little about military aviation.

So when is a military flight IFR?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It's IFR when you file for it. I think the technical rule is when there's no visible horizon, but again you need to file with clearance delivery or other sources.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's IFR when you file for it. I think the technical rule is when there's no visible horizon, but again you need to file with clearance delivery or other sources.

That's actually the definition of IMC. You can be flying VFR but be IMC. But yeah, basically you file/fly IFR when you need it. Helos, not very much, more so for fixed wing, especially the higher and farther you go.

magnetfreezer

So when is a military flight IFR?

When the crew files it as such.

OPNAVINST 3710 (Navy-wide flight regs) said:
4.6.4.2 IFR Flight Plans. Regardless of weather, IFR flight plans shall be filed and flown whenever
practicable as a means of reducing midair collision potential.
AFI 11-202V3 (AF flight regs) said:
7.1.1. Air Force fixed-wing aircraft will fly under VFR when required for mission accomplishment.

8.1. IFR Requirements. Air Force fixed-wing aircraft will fly under Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) to the maximum extent possible without unacceptable mission degradation.
8.1.2. IFR Required.
8.1.2.1. Pilots must fly under IFR if:
8.1.2.1.1. Weather conditions do not permit flight according to VFR.
8.1.2.1.2. Operating in Class A airspace.
8.1.2.1.3. Operating a fixed-wing aircraft within federal airways. Do not consider crossing airways as "within" airways.
8.1.2.1.4. Operating a fixed-wing aircraft at night, unless the mission cannot be conducted under IFR.

Beyond that the services have their own weather mins for different types of airspace, training, etc. as well as SOPs for sub-commands. Googling the names of those 2 publications will give you more than you wanted to know about it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Do military aircraft need to contact towers/center when entering controlled airspace, as civilian aircraft do?

Yes. We're not like "highlanders" of the sky. We follow rules just like every other aviator, including civilians.

In fact, general aviation civilian pilots are only limited by the FAA.

We're limited by the FAA, OPNAV, NATOPS, Wing SOP, Squadron SOP, et al. So we are, in fact, MORE limited in the skies than non-commercial civilian pilots.

Obviously there are exceptions and the above is only within the US. Outside the US, (particularly in combat situations) I'm sure things change, but I'll let someone who's "been there, done that" chime in on that respect.

Joseph123

Banned
Since you guys use a number of different callsigns, how do you identify yourself when you're flying VFR?

"xxxx, is type F-18, ...."?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Since you guys use a number of different callsigns, how do you identify yourself when you're flying VFR?

Callsigns are tactical(ie: used aircraft to aircraft or aircraft to base etc). When talking to ATC you'll use your tail number accompanied with a number and letter to denote squadron/wing etc, and you might throw in a type there.

IE: "Dulles Approach, Navy 7E642, type F-18 ..."

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Varies....each squadron has a Squadron Callsign. Look here for an example. If you are flying you won't know who's who with respect to military aircraft.

-ea6bflyr ;)

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Callsigns are tactical(ie: used aircraft to aircraft or aircraft to base etc). When talking to ATC you'll use your tail number accompanied with a number and letter to denote squadron/wing etc, and you might throw in a type there.

IE: "Dulles Approach, Navy 7E642, type F-18 ..."

In the training command, this is true, but at least in the E-6 world, we just used either a mission call sign when deployed (published on the flight schedule) or our squadron static callsign. For VQ-3 it was RAZZ, for VQ-4 it was SHADO. Never Navy XXX.

Status
Not open for further replies.