• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Probably the best resource out there for all air-to-air kills since the end of WWII, but it still contains a lot of inaccuracies. So beware of taking it too literally in some cases.

As you point out, AICG is probably the best thing going ... and as long as we're talkin' "war" and "kills" and you try to quantify it by any yardstick ... there's going to be "inaccuracies".

It's the nature of the beast.

91981349mq3.jpg

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I was just thinking of this last night for some reason but for training aircraft, is a crew chief assigned only one aircraft or do they take care of multiple T-whatevers?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Those guys are doing D&Ts all up and down the flight line.

Even in the fleet, just because a crewchief has his name on an aircraft doesn't mean that's the only one he works on.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was just thinking of this last night for some reason but for training aircraft, is a crew chief assigned only one aircraft or do they take care of multiple T-whatevers?

Are you thinking of Navy Plane Captains or the Air Force Crew Chief practice? They aren't analogous.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Stupid question incoming, piqued by another thread, how would one have a check ride in a single seat aircraft? Is it just a paper test, or some sort of chase deal, sim?

Stick

pilot
I searched around and didn’t find an answer to my question. I know very little about aviation but am trying to learn as much as possible before I commission and head to P-cola. I was wondering about the JSF and its stealth capabilities. I have seen articles saying it is virtually undetectable on radar. How is that going to affect it when flying INCONUS and into airports? How can ATC track them? And wouldn't the stealth cause problems with a near collision with another aircraft due to not seeing it on radar? Any help would be appreciated.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I searched around and didn’t find an answer to my question. I know very little about aviation but am trying to learn as much as possible before I commission and head to P-cola. I was wondering about the JSF and its stealth capabilities. I have seen articles saying it is virtually undetectable on radar. How is that going to affect it when flying INCONUS and into airports? How can ATC track them? And wouldn't the stealth cause problems with a near collision with another aircraft due to not seeing it on radar? Any help would be appreciated.

Well, that would be classified. ;)

Air traffic control primarily tracks arircraft through IFF, with aircraft transponders providing info to the 'secondary' ATC radars.

Here is a Wikipedia link explaining some of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_traffic_control_radar_beacon_system

phrogpilot73

How is that going to affect it when flying INCONUS and into airports? How can ATC track them? And wouldn't the stealth cause problems with a near collision with another aircraft due to not seeing it on radar? Any help would be appreciated.

Air traffic control primarily tracks arircraft through IFF, with aircraft transponders providing info to the 'secondary' ATC radars.
Actually, to clarify a bit (and it's always nice to bust Flash's balls) - ATC does not use IFF. IFF is Mode 4, and what ATC uses is primarily Mode 3/C. Most collision warning systems use Mode S.

Radar is not vital for collision avoidance, it's just another piece in the puzzle. If you're IFR, ATC uses Mode 3/C or Position Reports - and if you're VFR, it's see and avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.