• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
In the training command, this is true, but at least in the E-6 world, we just used either a mission call sign when deployed (published on the flight schedule) or our squadron static callsign. For VQ-3 it was RAZZ, for VQ-4 it was SHADO. Never Navy XXX.

Right. I said in my post above that I was strictly talking about MY experiences, and to let the BTDT bubbas who have deployed talk about what goes on overseas.

Do you use callsigns with ATC INCONUS?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most fleet callsigns are derrived from the JANAP (Joint Army Navy Air Force Publication). Even US ships have JANAP callsigns. Tactical C/S are assigned by the Air Tasking Order and it varied.

-ea6bflyr ;)

grant_davis

I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask dumb questions, but I have one so ill give it a shot. I am studying for the astb and am in the process of memorizing the different tower signals (solid green, alternating, flashing red...) My question is how, as a pilot, do you know who the signals are directed at? If all of the pilots are looking at the same tower, how does one know if the green light is for him to take off or another to land? Sorry if this is a bad question and the wrong place to post it..

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask dumb questions but I have one so ill give it a shot. I am studying for the astb and am in the process of memorizing the different tower signals (solid green, alternating, flashing red...) My question is how as a pilot do you know who the signals are directed at? All the pilots are looking at the same tower how does one know if the green light is for him to take off or another to land? Sorry if this is a bad question and the wrong place to post it..

Yes. The way the light is designed, you won't see it unless it is directed at YOU. Since the light is in the back of a tube, if you are off at some angle, you won't see it.

Imagine a laser. If you point the laser at someone, they can see it SUPER bright (and then they'll probably hit you). If you are looking at the source of the beam from even a slight angle, you don't see more than a dim red glow.

Same concept. If it's pointed at you, you'll KNOW it.

More importantly, these signals are only used if an aircraft is lost comms (can't communicate with the tower via radio). So if you're lost comms and you see a signal, what the hell are the odds there is another lost comms aircraft in the same pattern? Unless it's a ground issue, not very good. So assume it's for you if you're even slightly confused.

Raptor2216

I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask dumb questions, but I have one so ill give it a shot. I am studying for the astb and am in the process of memorizing the different tower signals (solid green, alternating, flashing red...) My question is how, as a pilot, do you know who the signals are directed at? If all of the pilots are looking at the same tower, how does one know if the green light is for him to take off or another to land? Sorry if this is a bad question and the wrong place to post it..

Well, for starters the light beam is very focused so when they point it at you, it is likely that only you will see it. If an A/C is in a NORDO situation then I would presume that ATC/tower would try to keep everyone out of your way and away from you. Also, unless another A/C goes NORDO at the same time as yours, everyone else still has radios so they should not be looking for visual signal from tower.

grant_davis

Haha yea that would make a lot more sense... For some reason I was picturing more of a lighthouse than a laser tower and I completely forgot about it only being used when out of radio contact.. Thanks for the explanation..

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Haha yea that would make a lot more sense... For some reason I was picturing more of a lighthouse than a laser tower and I completely forgot about it only being used when out of radio contact.. Thanks for the explanation..

There is a rotating beacon that identifies military airfileds at night that you might equate to a lighthouse. However, when the tower signals you, it is not like a "laser tower", it's a handheld device that looks like a long black tube like OW8 tried to explain. The ATC dude (or dudette) simply points it at the aircraft and the tube is what keeps the light from being seen by anyone other than intended aircraft.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Not a "laser". That was just an example I used to illustrate a point. It is just a light at the back end of a long tube. Just like a gun barrel points the bullet in a very specific place, the light tube places the light ONLY in a very specific place, so no one except where they're aiming it can see it. It is also referred to as a "light gun".

light_gun.jpg

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Kevlar ... and flak jacket ... in the tower ... really?

"Raider 12 this will be vectors for the COMBAT PAR rwy 24R ..."

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
In fact, civilians are only limited by the FAA.

We're limited by the FAA, OPNAV, NATOPS, Wing SOP, Squadron SOP, et al. So we are, in fact, MORE limited in the skies than civilians.

Have to correct you here.. I thought a Know-it-all would know that the airlines do not just operate under FAA regs but many more... For instance, Company, Aircraft specific, yes the Feds, and of course scheduling (FOM, CFM, FAR/AIM, CBA)... I have found that part 121 flying is way more restrictive than flying for Uncle Sam... When I was Aircraft Commander, I determined if the aircraft was safe for flight now I have a book which tells me Min Equipment that can be inorperative or missing, as just one example!...

Status
Not open for further replies.