• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman87

1. After you get into a squadron, what are the work hours like? is there time for a family?

Depends on what the squadron is doing at the time and type squadron. Working up for deployment often entails long hours including flying at night and dets away from homeplate (depending on type squadron). Then you're gone typically for 6 months (your mileage may vary). When you come back, most quadrons stand down and rotate personnel and turnover aircraft. Most COs go to relaxed hours to compensate for arduous work schedule up to then. Then process starts over to accept people and train them up for next deployment.

2. How many flight hours must you have before you are considered for actual combat missions?

Not so much based on flight hours per se. Co decides who's ready, but workups are geared to get you there. Note: some aviators right out of FRS go directly to a deployed unit in combat. Not ideal, but it happens.

3. How long after OCS until you are actually flying in a squadron?

Again, it depends. You've got to get through flight school and depending on your pipeline and weather and yada, yada, yada....your mileage may vary. Then you have tyo go through FRS training in your type/model/series aircraft before you report to an operational unit. Lots of threads here with individuals providing their timelines, look around and learn/enjoy.

4. How long is flight school?

See preceding answer

5. Also I am 21 married with 1 child. Am I starting too late/under the wrong circumstances?

Some are single, some are married, some are married with children, some get married along the way, some get divorced (more likely after first deployment) some have pets. You want it and make it work.

Thank you. I do want this, I have since I can remember. Some answers my OSO doesn't seem to have. He is a GYSgt. So I haven't really had the chance to talk to an officer in the field.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I've heard about the different pressures for the tires of aircraft on land vs. going to the boat. Could someone explain what the differences are for a tire that is charged for going to the boat vice land based? Also, what do they do for an aircraft going from the boat to shore or vice versa, and what are the issues when having to divert feet dry instead of the boat?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I've heard about the different pressures for the tires of aircraft on land vs. going to the boat. Could someone explain what the differences are for a tire that is charged for going to the boat vice land based? Also, what do they do for an aircraft going from the boat to shore or vice versa, and what are the issues when having to divert feet dry instead of the boat?

Nothing intelligent of my own to add, but a certain API Capt. told us back when about how sporty it was coming back to the beach after initial CQ with the tires so jacked up.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

Hmmmmmm ... I don't remember exactly but something in the dark recesses of my mind seems to remember a figure of about "half again as high" for the BOAT tire pressure. It sounds reasonable....

I CAN remember that it made NO difference operationally from a practical standpoint ... and I don't remember anyone blowing tires when BINGO'ing as a result of the higher BOAT tire pressures ....

Perhaps some of our E-MEN Maint types can jump in here ... ??? :)

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the higher pressure is for the CV landing/cat. If you ever see a slow motion video of a plane trapping or taking a cat, watch the tires. I'm guessing the compression can be pretty bad with the rates of descent coupled with tagging one on the fly. Maybe it's for consistency for hook/eye voodoo geometry. As for the cat, I'm sure when the cat fires, the nose gets quite a bit of compression on the initial 'hit'.

Of course these are just my semi-edumacated guesses...YMMV.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmmmmmm ... I don't remember exactly but something in the dark recesses of my mind seems to remember a figure of about "half again as high" for the BOAT tire pressure. It sounds reasonable....

I CAN remember that it made NO difference operationally from a practical standpoint ... and I don't remember anyone blowing tires when BINGO'ing as a result of the higher BOAT tire pressures ....

Our issue wasn't so much blowing tires, but melting the wax fuse plugs that were designed to melt and release air pressure to forestall potential to blow the tire from heat. With nuggets going ashore from the ship or on a divert, I'd always advise caution and taking easy with the brakes. Only one guy didn't listen on a divert into Cecil and when we deplaned, I could hear the hissing sound. Sure enough, fuse plug was working as designed. There were no Tomcat mounted tires on the base so we spent the night waiting for the OCD to deliver one with a team to change it. Being stuck in Cecil Q wasn't much better than the boat and the only worse place I can think of I had to divert was Gitmo.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I'd always advise caution and taking easy with the brakes...
THAT was it ... thanks, "Joe" ... but then again, if you do what you're supposed to ... it's no problem-o ... :)

Can you imagine effectively blowing 16 mains on a B747 ???? ... and all because of getting on the brakes too "enthusiastically" and melting the plugs ... ???

I know some who have .... :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
THAT was it ... thanks, "Joe" ... but then again, if you do what you're supposed to ... it's no problem-o ... :)

Can you imagine effectively blowing 16 mains on a B747 ???? ... and all because of getting on the brakes too "enthusiastically" and melting the plugs ... ???

I know some who have .... :D

Well, there was the horrorshow Christmas event at Oceana when RAG CO let the instructors put their wives in rear cockpit, taxi to runway and accelerate to refusal speed/point and then put on brakes. Every single jet blew its fuse plugs and they were stranded all over the place. Needless to say, that wasn't tried again.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
LTV designed the A-7 with what was probably the world's worst brake system. They got smart when they made the D for the Air Farce and beefed up the brakes. We always said they figured the A,B,C and E were meant to land on a boat so why give 'em decent brakes...that's what the wires are for. It was mandatory for us to trap on a wet runway. Throw in higher pressure carrier ops tires (increased tendency to hydro-plane) and you're looking for trouble. That is exactly what happened coming back from work-ups one day in the late '70's when heavy showers sat over the Jacksonville area and VA-82 and VA-86 had planes off the side of the runways at Cecil, planes in all of the arresting gear at both ends of all runways and diversions to NAS Jacksonville on top of it. The Cecil Field ops guys were very busy that day, getting guys out of the gear, out of the mud, etc. And Heyjoe, I can't believe you you would compare the luxory accomodations of the Cecil BOQ with GITMO. Didn't the Rocket 17 keep some cold beer for you?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And Heyjoe, I can't believe you you would compare the luxory accomodations of the Cecil BOQ with GITMO. Didn't the Rocket 17 keep some cold beer for you?

It was a weeknight and closed early due to lack of interest. GITMO at least had a beer machine in lobby of Q.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Once a person is a winged aviator, what is the normal path to TPS? What time frame in their career would this chance arise?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Cummins...
after your first fleet tour.....and the applicant needs a strong math/science/engineering background......so I was immediatly disqualed from consideration :icon_tong

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Once a person is a winged aviator, what is the normal path to TPS? What time frame in their career would this chance arise?

It is a fairly tight timeline to get TPS in, especially if you are a co-op candidate. A 1310 has to be able to complete any prior schooling, TPS itself, and the payback tour without negatively impacting his opportunity to make a DH tour (not just get to one, but get the checks in the box he needs to be competitive for selection). 1510's have a larger window.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
Cummins...
after your first fleet tour.....and the applicant needs a strong math/science/engineering background......so I was immediatly disqualed from consideration :icon_tong

That's kinda what I figured. Aerospace engineer, graduated summa cum laude from a well respected University, 3.5 years as a practicing engineer doing design/test work. I have found that having the qualifications doesn't make one qualified though...and I'm a long ways from doing a fleet tour.

It is a fairly tight timeline to get TPS in, especially if you are a co-op candidate. A 1310 has to be able to complete any prior schooling, TPS itself, and the payback tour without negatively impacting his opportunity to make a DH tour (not just get to one, but get the checks in the box he needs to be competitive for selection). 1510's have a larger window.

1310 I found...what's a 1510? Does being a Marine change the path to it in any way? I'm still a long ways from being a winged aviator, let alone applying to TPS, but it is something (that at this point) I'd like to do someday.

Thanks guys. :)

MasterBates

The reason for the CV pressurized tires on the T-45 (350psi vice 125psi) is because you may be landing ON the wires. Kind of like hitting a curb. At the "Shore" pressure, you could possibly "snakebite" the tire and blow it out by landing on a wire.

We come down just as hard ashore as at the boat, but ashore, you roll over the A-gear instead of possibly landing on a cross deck pendant.

Another thing, is with the CV pressurized tires, you can't go to MRT in the runup. The brakes will hold, but because your tire contact patch is so small, you will slide and bullseye the tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.