• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Before anyone asks:
PMCF = Post Maintenance Check Flight (same as a Functional Check Flight/FCF).

and yes, it is a special qual in the aircraft. Typically requires a large number of flight hours and experience.

-ea6bflyr ;)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... As for the PMCF, I'm fairly certain it's done with a crew of 2 but I could be wrong.

S/F
I guess that would mean that there are rear-seat check off items on a PMCF profile for the bird ... ???

The T-34B, T-2A/B/C, and TA-4J all required
only a front seat driver for a PMCF hop.

The A-6 required a complete pilot/BN crew, as always.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I guess that would mean that there are rear-seat check off items on a PMCF profile for the bird ... ???

The T-34B, T-2A/B/C, and TA-4J all required only a front seat driver for a PMCF hop.

What about the Sopwith Camel?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

The T-34B, T-2A/B/C, and TA-4J all required
only a front seat driver for a PMCF hop.

Interesting. For an A-Profile in the T-34C, it requires both seats. Makes sense since there's some instruments and gauges that have to correlate w/ each other.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Which brings up a question I was wondering about the other day.....what is the difference between an A and a C profile FCF? Not that it is anything I need to be concerned with yet, but good to add to the mental encyclopedia :icon_wink

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
FCF C = Airframes related repairs (flight controls, hyds, etc) that cannot be checked on deck.

FCF B = Engine related repairs that cannot be checked on deck.

FCF A = Check of all systems and components that cannot be checked on deck.

In the Viking, the FCF was pretty much just a B & C put together. In the C-2, an A profile has a lot more items than just the B & C. Each community will have variations.

exhelodrvr

pilot
FCF C = Airframes related repairs (flight controls, hyds, etc) that cannot be checked on deck.

In the Viking, the FCF was pretty much just a B & C put together. In the C-2, an A profile has a lot more items than just the B & C. Each community will have variations.

The A profiles were used on acceptance flights, right? (It's been awhile.) I hated those.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
T-2C required some FCFs to be dual... Depended on the maint action for B & Cs and I think it was required for all As... Last one I did was June 04 so it been a while (2K2)!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Helos (and presumably others) also have a D profile, which is specific to the AFCS.

You can also modify the profiles to fit what maintenance was done. For example, w/ helos, you often have to run vibes, which is a modified C Profile. As the FCP, you can "N/A" "anything," so you can check off what you need to do and skip the other stuff.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Hummer had a D profile as well...I think it was for weapons systems-specific items (i.e., radar, IFF interrogator, etc) that couldn't be checked on deck. I never flew one or saw one on the sked, 'least in my squadron. Pretty much everything could either be checked out on deck to the "it'll probably work airborne, sir" point or they just rolled it into an FCF-A/B/C.

iceman87

Series of stupid questions

Hello everyone,

I have a bunch of stupid questions about Marine Corps Aviation. Im new to this forum and justed started the long journey to becoming a pilot in the Marine Corps. Hopefully F18. I am still working on my Bachelors.

1. After you get into a squadron, what are the work hours like? is there time for a family?

2. How many flight hours must you have before you are considered for actual combat missions?

3. How long after OCS until you are actually flying in a squadron?

4. How long is flight school?

5. Also I am 21 married with 1 child. Am I starting too late/under the wrong circumstances?

Thank you! Casey

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hello everyone,

I have a bunch of stupid questions about Marine Corps Aviation. Im new to this forum and justed started the long journey to becoming a pilot in the Marine Corps. Hopefully F18. I am still working on my Bachelors.

1. After you get into a squadron, what are the work hours like? is there time for a family?

Depends on what the squadron is doing at the time and type squadron. Working up for deployment often entails long hours including flying at night and dets away from homeplate (depending on type squadron). Then you're gone typically for 6 months (your mileage may vary). When you come back, most quadrons stand down and rotate personnel and turnover aircraft. Most COs go to relaxed hours to compensate for arduous work schedule up to then. Then process starts over to accept people and train them up for next deployment.

2. How many flight hours must you have before you are considered for actual combat missions?

Not so much based on flight hours per se. Co decides who's ready, but workups are geared to get you there. Note: some aviators right out of FRS go directly to a deployed unit in combat. Not ideal, but it happens.

3. How long after OCS until you are actually flying in a squadron?

Again, it depends. You've got to get through flight school and depending on your pipeline and weather and yada, yada, yada....your mileage may vary. Then you have tyo go through FRS training in your type/model/series aircraft before you report to an operational unit. Lots of threads here with individuals providing their timelines, look around and learn/enjoy.

4. How long is flight school?

See preceding answer

5. Also I am 21 married with 1 child. Am I starting too late/under the wrong circumstances?

Some are single, some are married, some are married with children, some get married along the way, some get divorced (more likely after first deployment) some have pets. You want it and make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.