• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In the fallen angels thread, Nittany mentioned FNAEB results and codes. I've seen them discussed elsewhere but don't understand what exactly they mean. What are the different "codes" (Nittany said he got a B1 for example) and what they entail?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
In the fallen angels thread, Nittany mentioned FNAEB results and codes. I've seen them discussed elsewhere but don't understand what exactly they mean. What are the different "codes" (Nittany said he got a B1 for example) and what they entail?

As I recall and to sum up:

A1: Return to flying, no fault of the aircrew.
A2: Retrun to flying but in a different platform (example might be an F-18 pilot had issues landing at night on the boat so board recommends switching to P-3's)
A4: Return to flying but under a probation period. Meaning there was aircrew error but falls under not negligent or lacking in aircrew/piloting skills could be a future detriment.

B1: Do not return to flight status but get to keep wings.
B2: Do not return to flight status and lose wings.

phrogpilot73

My question is related to NVG's and carrier aviation. In the helo world, we generally will goggle chock-to-chock if possible but will goggle in flight if need be. Sometimes we don, then flip them down when the conditions are right. Same thing if we're flying close to sunrise, we'll flip them up and keep flying.

For some unknown reason, I was thinking about them with regards to landing/taking off. I'm assuming that the meatball/waveoff lights are not NVG compatible and/or you need to be able to distinguish the colors. So I assume that you guys are in the groove unaided (I could be wrong). That lead me to thinking about the G-forces involved in the cat launch and the trap, and the breakaway fitting on the goggles. Do you guys have goggles donned from T/O to landing? Or do you don them once in flight? If you don them before the cat shot/after the trap, is there ever a problem with the breakaway fitting? Inquiring minds want to know, for no other reason than curiosity.

It's not so much that the HS community is moving to Norfolk, it's part of the transition process. We will become HSC squadrons after changing homeports. Yay for 2 homeports in one tour!
Any word on what fields will be used for training up here? Felker is overloaded as is and with 8(?) squadrons doing their training we're in for a hell of a tough transition.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question is related to NVG's and carrier aviation...

I know I'm speaking out of turn, as a Hummer mole and all, but AFAIK, the pointy-nose guys remove their NVGs completely for the cat and trap, because of the weight and the breakaway fitting. I've never seen anyone take the shot or come aboard with them on.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
...Do you guys have goggles donned from T/O to landing? Or do you don them once in flight? If you don them before the cat shot/after the trap, is there ever a problem with the breakaway fitting? Inquiring minds want to know, for no other reason than curiosity.

We started wearing them in '92 (C model Bugs Lot 12 and up). First Cateyes then ANVIS 6 and finally ANVIS 9's. I'm sure there is something better in the fleet today, though the 9's were pretty nice. Used to slap them on off the cat and take them off (unfortunately) in the marshall stack to allow your eyes to adjust. Some squadrons did NVGs for practice field takeoffs and landings until around '97 due to a requirement to support SpecOps missions but that went away by decree of AirLant/Pac.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Any word on what fields will be used for training up here? Felker is overloaded as is and with 8(?) squadrons doing their training we're in for a hell of a tough transition.

I have no idea if they plan to open up another OLF. I wouldn't be surpised if we're just told to suck it up and deal. But I don't have to worry about the Norfolk stuff for a couple of years anyways.

I guess Jacksonville is just too damn convenient.

Pags

N/A
pilot

They're trying to address this problem and are looking at other local airfields. There are lots of airfields in the local area and Felker isn't the only place to go. I wouldn't hold my breath for a dedicated Helo OLF (especially since Felker isn't "ours").

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been out of the seat for almost 2 years now. I didn't even try FAF anymore. 4 60s working the runway and 2 over at the pad. Undoable. Working the pattern over at Langley was almost unworkable back then. Newport News is workable at night as long as you stay off the active and accept a short pattern.

I can't imagine what it's like now. For bounce work, I went to KNTU on the weekends and a lot of trips down to the Coast Guard station. Work the autos at home field on a not to interfere basis with the E2s in the pattern. Having 2 helo FRSs in Norfolk plus a lot of operational squadrons takes up a lot of airspace.

There are a lot of fields around, but 53 ops are limited because of gross weight / runway issues.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
HS to HSC question....

Are the HS squadrons going to keep their numbers after transition i.e. HS-7 to HSC-7......or are we going change them up?

....I hope I get a new hangar.......

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Can 'trons (Prowler, et al.) be applied toward aerial radars like ground-based stuff?

A radar is a radar is a radar, and radars can be jammed. Clear enough? Which specific ones and what can do it are not for an unclass forum, unfortunately for you.

There was one specific technique that did make it into a movie once, we don't like to talk about it though........:eek:

jamradar.jpg

SpaceBalls.jpg

"We've been jammed!"

Status
Not open for further replies.