• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I was thinking the same thing, but exercise shenanigans look to be in full effect.

Location looks like Kadena AB, on Okinawa. I feel for that dude when he's wearing that crap in the cool and dry summers
++ for VID ... the rest of the story:

061017f0522d040zr5.jpg

Kadena exercise tests wartime ability

KADENA AR BASE, Japan -- Staff Sgt. Davis Christopher, 18th Operations Squadron, flashes a light gun signal from the air traffic control tower to approaching aircraft during an exercise Oct. 17, 2006, at Kadena Air Base, Japan. The light gun signal is used when an aircraft has lost radio communications with the control tower. The 18th Wing exercise Oct. 13 -19 tested the wing's ability to respond to a wartime situation. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Dave DeRemer)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone ever had to use it from the air? I'd think it'd be pretty tough, especially on a bright day.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Has anyone ever had to use it from the air? I'd think it'd be pretty tough, especially on a bright day.
I had it flashed at me a couple of times for landing clearance -- both times NORDO or at least I couldn't RX on one of the occasions and broadcast "in the blind" anyway ...

Daytime -- no problem if you look AT the tower -- very directional, piercing light beam.

MettGT

pilot
I had it flashed at me a couple of times for landing clearance -- both times NORDO or at least I couldn't RX on one of the occasions and broadcast "in the blind" anyway ...

Daytime -- no problem if you look AT the tower -- very directional, piercing light beam.

During IFS one of my instructors asked the tower to demonstrate the light gun, and it surprised me at how well you could see it. So as long as you're looking in the vicinity of the tower, it's very noticeable.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
It's part of the syllabus in primary to get a light show and you could see it well, but that's when you're on the ground and pretty close to tower yet. Never seen it from the air and hope I never have to.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
From a previous experience, it is definitely just as obvious from the air as it is on the ground....of course presumably you should be looking for it already if they are shooting it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Should we start a new thread about the light from the tower ... ??? :)

Or have we beat this to death ... ???

66086260nj1.jpg

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
What is the deal with the helmet art? Do you paint it yourself? Is it a SQD. thing?

Just got my helmet back from the Paraloft...great job, and it only cost me 1 bottle of Johnnie Walker Red...

Attachments

• winging pictures 010.jpg
    winging pictures 010.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 338
  • winging pictures 011.jpg
    winging pictures 011.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 146
  • winging pictures 012.jpg
    winging pictures 012.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 226

srqwho

pilot
Just got my helmet back from the Paraloft...great job, and it only cost me 1 bottle of Johnnie Walker Red...

Off-topic, but I was just at Iowa State last month for a few days... although my stay was short I was really impressed with the staff and the campus. We were also told to eat at Hickory Park for a lunch one day... REALLY good BBQ.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Or you can be cool like me (or maybe uncool) and still not have your own helmet so you have to use pool helmets....which all have the fancy art on them.....
kenny.jpg

D_Rob

Lead LTJG

So how do they do that? Do you just put reflective tape over a sticker or do you have to use colored reflective tape and use your artistic skills?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
pickle, you plan on wearin that thing much at VP-30, or is it just waiting for the viking horns to get mounted on it to complete its transformation into a killer drinkin' hat?

i've never worn my navy helmet, but it came with a killer spiderweb reflective tape job.
i guess it'll make a sweet bookend one day.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Dammnit! The supply guys at Whiting made me turn in my helmet after I selected P3's. No sweet bookend for me. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.