• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about Naval Aviation (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I don't know what the guys in the front of the tube do with their helmets...I had to wear mine in the back for all of the ditching/bailout drills and setting 4...

I'll probably wear the issued shit at VP-30 as Jax had a little theft problem when I was there 2 years ago (we had a guy lose his motorcycle from the parking lot of Hangar 1000)

The Paraloft guys used reflective tape and had to handcut all of the detail into it (Many little pieces of tape) thus the JWR

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All right, I'll say it.....it is a little cheesy to get the school done. Much better to have the squadron thing done. You go to war with your squadron, not your school. ;)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
All right, I'll say it.....it is a little cheesy to get the school done. Much better to have the squadron thing done. You go to war with your squadron, not your school. ;)

Agreed sir! (Holy shit, I'm agreeing with Flash:D )

When I get my helmet issued at my squadron I will have said squadron art on the back...however I had this helmet from when I was riding in the back of the Tube and it was looking a little plain...
Pickle

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know what the guys in the front of the tube do with their helmets...I had to wear mine in the back for all of the ditching/bailout drills and setting 4...

You always carry it. Wear it for ditching drills....and cracked windshields...

I'll probably wear the issued shit at VP-30 as Jax had a little theft problem when I was there 2 years ago (we had a guy lose his motorcycle from the parking lot of Hangar 1000)

Way back in the day, they wouldn't even take your personal helmet. Too many students to have to deal with. All pool gear.

LivinMyDream

pilot
At 30 it is all pool gear. You get issued your vest and other gear once you leave the squadron. And I agree with Flash: that helmet art is gay.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Paint or tape

What is the deal with the helmet art? Do you paint it yourself? Is it a SQD. thing?

Once upon a time, helmets were painted and many went outside the system to get form fit protection helmets when the system had lesser quality helmets. It was not uncommon to see fancy/custom metalflake helmets that aviators would drop big money on. Then came better helmets with poured liners and eventually better pads as well as regs on covering helmet with reflective tape. I suspect what you think looks like paint is actually reflective tape.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup. Some of the riggers get pretty artistic with flashtape and a razor blade. My last squadron, an FNG's callsign became more or less "official" when the riggers put it on their helmet.

FWIW, flightsuits.com still does the swank custom-painted helmets.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I had a PR in API who was stationed at Miramar in the early 80's, when they still allowed helmets to just have reflective tape instead of requiring that 80% of it be white reflective tape. She said they never did the helmets back then since there were a couple of places right outside the gate that did them, and apparently did a very good job. Made the PR's job very easy. I remember the museum in Pensacola was thinking of doing a display of them a few years ago, not sure if they ever got a round to it.

Usually now the squadron PR's will do everyone's helmet up with the same design. I think they had a cutting machine in Whidbey that would cut the designs and the PR's would put them on. At least that is what they did in Tacair squadrons, VP and VQ squadrons weren't all that concerned and usually did not bother with nice designs.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Yup. Some of the riggers get pretty artistic with flashtape and a razor blade. My last squadron, an FNG's callsign became more or less "official" when the riggers put it on their helmet.

FWIW, flightsuits.com still does the swank custom-painted helmets.

One of our crewmen pointed out that our FNG looked and walked like a pixie. The FNG was pissed. There was a tinkerbell on his helmet within the week.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of our crewmen pointed out that our FNG looked and walked like a pixie. The FNG was pissed. There was a tinkerbell on his helmet within the week.

Exhibit #347 in "How Callsigns Happen".

If he was lucky, he got away with "Tink".

B

Blutonski816

I had a PR in API who was stationed at Miramar in the early 80's, when they still allowed helmets to just have reflective tape instead of requiring that 80% of it be white reflective tape. She said they never did the helmets back then since there were a couple of places right outside the gate that did them, and apparently did a very good job. Made the PR's job very easy. I remember the museum in Pensacola was thinking of doing a display of them a few years ago, not sure if they ever got a round to it.

The Aerospace Museum in San Diego has a little exhibit of helmets with Tape jobs from all the old VFs from Miramar (with a TOPGUN helmet on the top of the stack). Wouldn't be suprised if someone from one of those 'shops' did them up for the exhibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.