• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I get LASIK before OCS?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Laser eye surgery is medically disqualifying for 6-12 months post-surgery. Meaning, if you're in the service then you can work that into a non-operational tour, but if you're coming into OCS with a ship date of mid 2021 then this is likely a non-starter at MEPS until all of your follow-ups are complete.

nugget81

pilot
PRK, LASIK, and corrective lenses (contacts or eye glasses) are all permissible and widely used by the Navy.

When I was in college in 2005, I failed the eye exam at MEPS (after a PROREC for OCS). I paid to have PRK done at a civilian doctor, which delayed getting my final select by 3-4 months (3-6 months is not uncommon depending on how bad your vision was to begin with and what procedure you have done—disclaimer: the length of time may have changed since 2005). While I was at OCS in 2007, they said my vision had degraded and that I needed corrective lenses. After that I wore contacts for most of career while flying F/A-18s until 2016 when I had LASIK done at the Naval Refractive Surgery center in San Diego. I was med down for about 1 month and flew again right away after that period.

The point of my story is that you can have little setbacks in vision and there are plenty of easy-enough solutions. Don’t take no for an answer, and find your own solutions or find someone who knows that they’re actually talking about. No one else cares about your vision of your career more than you do.

WannaFlyHigh

PRK, LASIK, and corrective lenses (contacts or eye glasses) are all permissible and widely used by the Navy.

When I was in college in 2005, I failed the eye exam at MEPS (after a PROREC for OCS). I paid to have PRK done at a civilian doctor, which delayed getting my final select by 3-4 months (3-6 months is not uncommon depending on how bad your vision was to begin with and what procedure you have done—disclaimer: the length of time may have changed since 2005). While I was at OCS in 2007, they said my vision had degraded and that I needed corrective lenses. After that I wore contacts for most of career while flying F/A-18s until 2016 when I had LASIK done at the Naval Refractive Surgery center in San Diego. I was med down for about 1 month and flew again right away after that period.

The point of my story is that you can have little setbacks in vision and there are plenty of easy-enough solutions. Don’t take no for an answer, and find your own solutions or find someone who knows that they’re actually talking about. No one else cares about your vision of your career more than you do.
That’s really interesting that you went to MEPS after getting your PROREC. My understanding is that you have to go to MEPS before you even submit your application. I guess the rules changed from when you had applied.
Also I definitely am not gonna back down easy. I really will do whatever it takes to secure and maintain that SNA slot. Thanks for the advice!

WannaFlyHigh

If you are concerned get a consult done to check your eyesight and if you can get surgery. I had mine does years ago and it isn't that bad, now like has been mentioned you do have a 6 month wait.
From my understanding I get that you are a recruiter. Would I get my SNA acceptance rescinded if I were to get PROREC Y for OCS and decided to get my LASIK after ward but still before OCS?

exNavyOffRec

From my understanding I get that you are a recruiter. Would I get my SNA acceptance rescinded if I were to get PROREC Y for OCS and decided to get my LASIK after ward but still before OCS?
That’s really interesting that you went to MEPS after getting your PROREC. My understanding is that you have to go to MEPS before you even submit your application. I guess the rules changed from when you had applied.
Also I definitely am not gonna back down easy. I really will do whatever it takes to secure and maintain that SNA slot. Thanks for the advice!
It could be rescinded so get LASIK first

yes the rules changed, too many were getting a pro Y then not getting medically cleared.

PringleMan

If you are LASIK / PRK unsuitable, also consider getting an Implanted Contact Lens (ICL). The risk is Cataracts. The gain is a potentially reparable eye vision surgery should your vision take a sudden turn and then stabilize. Also very very expensive, but an alternative for people like me where LASIK/PRK was not suitable.

Cataracts are a real lifelong risk though. IF you do end up as a victim, you will not ever be able to focus normally again. The chances are really low, but enter that process with both eyes open (no pun intended).

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
To the OP, I was in nearly this exact same situation when I was applying to OCS. Vision right on the line, and my fear was that my vision would slightly worsen, or have a “bad day” and fail the OCS/NAMI flight physicals. I had to put my application on hold for 6 months but the peace of mind I got from having 20/15 vision at the time from LASIK was 100% worth it. If you can afford it, then I say go for it.

WannaFlyHigh

Background:
So I used to search function to find a similar instance of what I am going thru and could not find any useful info. So I am applying to SNA and already took the ASTB. Last year I had a vision test done and was told I had a slight near sightedness in my eyes. I have glasses for 20/35 vision and use them when I am driving or need to read something in the distance. Recently I went to MEPS and I am not sure what happened but I passed the vision test with flying colors. They asked me why I wear glasses and that I have better than perfect vision. I was seriously confused and asked them if it was a mistake but they said I passed. I feel my eyes are definitely in the 20/40+ range by now but I rolled with it since the staff seemed to be annoyed with my questions.

Question:
I am technically qualified for a SNA slot for the upcoming boards since I fall within the physical standards. If I happen to get selected for OCS (which now has ship dates in mid 2021 to 2022), can I get my eyes tested and get LASIK after acceptance if they are in the 20/40 or worse range? I don't want to keep waiting to finally submit to the boards. Is it possible that they will take my acceptance and SNA slot from me if I get Lasik before OCS?

My biggest fear is getting NAMI whammied and my recruiter said there is no way to really have a NAMI style physical until I get to OCS. I feel like the MEPS people were just half assing the tests because there is no way my vision is 20/15.

Update:

Doctor said my vision is actually fine and that I do not even need to get LASIK. He did not even anticipate deterioration in the next 2 years. It is likely due to dryness in the eyes which make vision more blurry occasionally. On a side note my recruiter told me I failed Depth Perception at MEPS haha. Hopefully I can get retested because the doctor said my eyes were completely fine but Navy only listens to Military and MEPS docs. What a rollercoaster. Win some and you lose some.