• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Should I get LASIK before OCS?

WannaFlyHigh

Background:
So I used to search function to find a similar instance of what I am going thru and could not find any useful info. So I am applying to SNA and already took the ASTB. Last year I had a vision test done and was told I had a slight near sightedness in my eyes. I have glasses for 20/35 vision and use them when I am driving or need to read something in the distance. Recently I went to MEPS and I am not sure what happened but I passed the vision test with flying colors. They asked me why I wear glasses and that I have better than perfect vision. I was seriously confused and asked them if it was a mistake but they said I passed. I feel my eyes are definitely in the 20/40+ range by now but I rolled with it since the staff seemed to be annoyed with my questions.

Question:
I am technically qualified for a SNA slot for the upcoming boards since I fall within the physical standards. If I happen to get selected for OCS (which now has ship dates in mid 2021 to 2022), can I get my eyes tested and get LASIK after acceptance if they are in the 20/40 or worse range? I don't want to keep waiting to finally submit to the boards. Is it possible that they will take my acceptance and SNA slot from me if I get Lasik before OCS?

My biggest fear is getting NAMI whammied and my recruiter said there is no way to really have a NAMI style physical until I get to OCS. I feel like the MEPS people were just half assing the tests because there is no way my vision is 20/15.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
1. Do you know if you're eligible for LASIK yet? If you don't know, find that out first before worrying about everything else.

2. After your MEPS physical, have you gone to an actual optometrist or ophthalmologist to get a real exam? I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in a military medical cattle call physical.

3. If you have something less than than 20/20, do you know if it's actually correctable with LASIK? Different question than #1 above, but along the same lines.

Astro_Rekt

I'm curious about #2 as well; if you can read the 20/20 line, you can read the 20/20 line. That being said, they're going to be more particular when you're actually conducting the flight physical.

xcrunner18

So I'm not active duty, but I recently got my PROREC Y for SNA. My medical process was a long one, mainly because of my eyesight. I used to wear glasses, and my vision was like 20/50 or so. They basically told me I could go NFO or do PRK. I decided I only wanted to go SNA, and had PRK done. I'm a civilian so it was out of pocket. The Navy requires like 6 months I think of recovery before they'll look at you (which you have to redo ALL the medical stuff all over again). After my PRK, I am 20/10-20/15, and had zero problems after that. The eye part at medical was actually the easiest after that. Just my experience!

exNavyOffRec

Background:
So I used to search function to find a similar instance of what I am going thru and could not find any useful info. So I am applying to SNA and already took the ASTB. Last year I had a vision test done and was told I had a slight near sightedness in my eyes. I have glasses for 20/35 vision and use them when I am driving or need to read something in the distance. Recently I went to MEPS and I am not sure what happened but I passed the vision test with flying colors. They asked me why I wear glasses and that I have better than perfect vision. I was seriously confused and asked them if it was a mistake but they said I passed. I feel my eyes are definitely in the 20/40+ range by now but I rolled with it since the staff seemed to be annoyed with my questions.

Question:
I am technically qualified for a SNA slot for the upcoming boards since I fall within the physical standards. If I happen to get selected for OCS (which now has ship dates in mid 2021 to 2022), can I get my eyes tested and get LASIK after acceptance if they are in the 20/40 or worse range? I don't want to keep waiting to finally submit to the boards. Is it possible that they will take my acceptance and SNA slot from me if I get Lasik before OCS?

My biggest fear is getting NAMI whammied and my recruiter said there is no way to really have a NAMI style physical until I get to OCS. I feel like the MEPS people were just half assing the tests because there is no way my vision is 20/15.
If you are concerned get a consult done to check your eyesight and if you can get surgery. I had mine does years ago and it isn't that bad, now like has been mentioned you do have a 6 month wait.

xcrunner18

Oh and one more thing, I was always told LASIK is an automatic disqualifier for pilot. Just the procedure they do and the way it heals, but PRK is the way to go. Just want to make sure you don't do the wrong procedure and then get disqualified. Correct me if I'm wrong @exNavyOffRec

kite

Beach FEX
The NAMI waiver guide says that both PRK and LASIK are waiverable.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on wether it would be possible to go to Pensacola wearing contacts and then potentially get LASIK later on in your career? (My reading of the waiver guide is that my vision is good enough to not need a waiver for contacts, but am leaning towards LASIK for quality of life)

exNavyOffRec

Oh and one more thing, I was always told LASIK is an automatic disqualifier for pilot. Just the procedure they do and the way it heals, but PRK is the way to go. Just want to make sure you don't do the wrong procedure and then get disqualified. Correct me if I'm wrong @exNavyOffRec

never saw anyone DQ for LASIK, it is often less invasive, faster recovery time, etc.... but still a 6 month wait.

PEFO Silver-Shades

Background:

Question:

Im in the same situation, i went to MEPS and passed with 20/40 Vision, but barely. I'm afraid that when i get to OCS, ill have 20/45+. asked my recruiter if it was possible to get Lasik before OCS, provided im selected on this upcoming board. they told me i would have to get lasik, wait 6 months and reapply to the board.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on wether it would be possible to go to Pensacola wearing contacts and then potentially get LASIK later on in your career? (My reading of the waiver guide is that my vision is good enough to not need a waiver for contacts, but am leaning towards LASIK for quality of life)

It's possible, but it generally is withheld if you're coming to the end of your obligation or it will impact readiness. Your CO will have to sign off on it (and any other elective surgery) to make sure it doesn't impact the overall mission.

WannaFlyHigh

1. Do you know if you're eligible for LASIK yet? If you don't know, find that out first before worrying about everything else.

2. After your MEPS physical, have you gone to an actual optometrist or ophthalmologist to get a real exam? I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in a military medical cattle call physical.

3. If you have something less than than 20/20, do you know if it's actually correctable with LASIK? Different question than #1 above, but along the same lines.

1. I am setting up a consultation with an optometrist/ophthalmologist right now to get official word. But from talking to other folks, I was told I qualify for PRK/LASIK.

2. Yeah I was incredibly doubtful of the MEPS vision test so I am setting up another consultation with a civilian doc soon. I just feel like my recruiter wants me to submit soon since I am pretty much done with the major parts of the application.

3. By less than 20/20 you mean worse than 20/20? I am not 100% sure but that is a good question that I will ask the doc.

WannaFlyHigh

So I'm not active duty, but I recently got my PROREC Y for SNA. My medical process was a long one, mainly because of my eyesight. I used to wear glasses, and my vision was like 20/50 or so. They basically told me I could go NFO or do PRK. I decided I only wanted to go SNA, and had PRK done. I'm a civilian so it was out of pocket. The Navy requires like 6 months I think of recovery before they'll look at you (which you have to redo ALL the medical stuff all over again). After my PRK, I am 20/10-20/15, and had zero problems after that. The eye part at medical was actually the easiest after that. Just my experience!

Yeah I am hoping to get my vision problems totally out of the equations so I can be a better candidate (less waivers).

WannaFlyHigh

I'm curious about #2 as well; if you can read the 20/20 line, you can read the 20/20 line. That being said, they're going to be more particular when you're actually conducting the flight physical.
Yeah I was hoping to experience a thorough physical than what I experienced. I had a friend who went to a different MEPS and they measured some of his body. For me they did none of that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
1. I am setting up a consultation with an optometrist/ophthalmologist right now to get official word. But from talking to other folks, I was told I qualify for PRK/LASIK.

2. Yeah I was incredibly doubtful of the MEPS vision test so I am setting up another consultation with a civilian doc soon. I just feel like my recruiter wants me to submit soon since I am pretty much done with the major parts of the application.

3. By less than 20/20 you mean worse than 20/20? I am not 100% sure but that is a good question that I will ask the doc.

1. Don't go by what other people say. There's some specific tests the LASIK office should be doing to make sure your able to accept the procedure. Don't go to the $9.99 per eye office.

2. It's your life, so make sure you're comfortable with what's submitted. But it sounds like you get that.

3. Yes, I meant "worse." As an example, my actual prescription was somewhere in the -3 diopter range, but I could always beat it with my young eyes and would wear a substantially less powerful prescription. I was told LASIK wasn't a good idea because I was still reading 20/25 or 20/30. Many years later it was finally explained to me why they were saying that...basically LASIK was going to make my vision worse, relative to what my brain knew, even though the lens would be more "correct." By the time I actually had LASIK at age 43, my prescription had continually become stronger, so it would be less to adapt to. I still had to wear some glasses for a couple of months with my full prescription to get used to it a bit because I was still able to beat a diopter off the prescription.

Bottom line, gather some knowledge. You don't want to lose the vision you have now.