• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

service selection (Spring '08)

phrogpilot73

All kidding aside, they used to have ALL middies go through some form of OCS/TBS during their summer before their second year. Do they still do that? I remember seeing some fairly misreable looking dudes when I was at OCS (I believe they were in Mike Co) that were clearly not going to go USMC but were there because they had no choice.

Also, is there any thruth to the story that the academy stopped sending mids to OCS proper because the navy didn't want to commission the ones that failed out?

Back in the late 80's mids had to go to OCS to be eligible for USMC (i'm told). The story I was told is that the ones who didn't make it were commissioned in the navy upon graduation from the academy. Somebody eventually asked "Hey, if this kid isn't good enough to be a Marine, why are we commissioning him at all?". Then they pulled the plug. True or urban legend?

By the way, this wasn't intended to start a flame war or be disrespectful to the navy (which I do a lot, but not this time). Just curious.
When I went through the boat school, they had "MLT" or "Midshipman Leadership Training" between our freshman and sophomore years. We spent 4 weeks at USMC OCS. That went away while I was still a mid, but then Leatherneck became required, 4 weeks at TBS between our junior and senior years.

You're right about the late 80's (we sponsored mids from the class of '85 on), they were required to go to Bulldog (4 weeks of OCS), same as NROTC. I don't know the reason they changed it, and part of me wishes they didn't - because of the turds I saw commission in the USMC, and also because it gave us a leg down at TBS. Not because we couldn't do it, but because our peers viewed us as lesser Marines because they went through OCS and we didn't.

The reason I heard was that "Well, we've just spent 4 years and X amount of money evaluating them to be officers, why spend X amount more to find out that they'll make good Marine officers. Let's start using the Marines at the Academy more, and we'll save money." My guess is that the truth lies somewhere between what you said, and what I heard...

Random Task

pilot
So get this...my name got pulled from the list because the F-ING nukes thought I looked good on paper. They held my designation because they wanted to ask me if I wanted nuke. Jee...maybe it I wanted nuke I would have put it on my service selection form now I have to wait till the next board... WTF...F-ing nukes.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So get this...my name got pulled from the list because the F-ING nukes thought I looked good on paper. They held my designation because they wanted to ask me if I wanted nuke. Jee...maybe it I wanted nuke I would have put it on my service selection form now I have to wait till the next board... WTF...F-ing nukes.

wow, thats a new one. Are you an OC or MIDN?

Congrats to all that selected. I'll hold down the fortress for all of you in the meantime :)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
wow, thats a new one. Are you an OC or MIDN?

Congrats to all that selected. I'll hold down the fortress for all of you in the meantime :)

He's an NROTC MIDN.

He really got the shaft on this one. Super high GPA in engineering, awesome ASTB scores, the whole package. I'm sure he'll get the word on 1390 real soon, but I think it's pretty lame that they're holding back selection on an overly qualified candidate.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
He's an NROTC MIDN.

He really got the shaft on this one. Super high GPA in engineering, awesome ASTB scores, the whole package. I'm sure he'll get the word on 1390 real soon, but I think it's pretty lame that they're holding back selection on an overly qualified candidate.

Yeah, that sucks. I've heard of guys getting prior orders to grad school (one instance was a surprise), but then follow-on orders to flight school....so no designator chenanigans

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Our unit is shut down for the day so I doubt I'll get any word until after the holidays. I'm trying to call people and find out though!

PS - If anyone has the ability to look it up would you please PM me?

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
My unit is closed too... I'm assuming we won't hear until after New Year's Day because most--if not all--of the O's have taken leave... Typical Navy waiting game...

MasterBates

Yep. Please tell me you searched, and just wanted confirmation, vice being asking yet another question vice searching.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
When I went through the boat school, they had "MLT" or "Midshipman Leadership Training" between our freshman and sophomore years. We spent 4 weeks at USMC OCS. That went away while I was still a mid, but then Leatherneck became required, 4 weeks at TBS between our junior and senior years.
Actually, MLT was 3 weeks at OCS and 1 week at TBS. I remember because I got fried there.

When you say Leatherneck became required, you mean just for the folks that wanted to go USMC, right?