• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

service selection (Spring '08)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess it's that time of year when all the spring 2008 grads should start the service selection speculation, so I figured I would start the thread where all the rumors of when we would get the news could be spread. So, any word from your unit staff members? We haven't heard anything over here at Vandy and I'm waiting on news for 1370.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I guess it's that time of year when all the spring 2008 grads should start the service selection speculation, so I figured I would start the thread where all the rumors of when we would get the news could be spread. So, any word from your unit staff members? We haven't heard anything over here at Vandy and I'm waiting on news for 1370.

I was wondering when this thread would pop up! According to our XO, don't expect anything until the end of December. Its hard to believe that we only have one semester left!

Checkert

The scientific process goes 'boink'?
Our CO says he the past 3 years he's known right before Christmas. His guess ~19th -21st. Sure will make or break the holiday for a lot of poeple.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
What, so you don't get to pick Navy/Marine Corps, someone picks for you?

Negative. This service selection is only for Navy options. We send in a list of what we want career-wise and the Navy decides what we get. You make the decision to go Marine Option much earlier in your NROTC career. The USNA does it a little different but I'll let someone that knows about that stuff explain it.

Checkert

The scientific process goes 'boink'?
Navy Option mids service select for SNA, SNFO, SWO, SUBS, SEALS, EOD... generally Unrestricted Line slots. Some, very few, do end up with Restricted (CEC, AMDO,etc...) for a variety of reasons.

UMichfly

pilot
None
S.O.G- It's kinda like darts, they put your picture up on a screen and 4- stars from each service throw darts at it and whoever's closest to your forehead gets you. Just hope that when your day comes, the Navy/USMC dart throwers are sober 'cuz everyone knows the AF doesn't drink so they'll be throwing straight (at least dartwise).

/end sarcastic asshole mode

Service selection = process by which MIDN figure out whether they're going to be SWOs, Sub guys, or SNA/SNFOs etc...

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
I think Nuke Interviews go into Jan-Feb 2008, so some people won't know about that until their Interviews. SEAL/EOD guys also won't hear until Jan-Feb. I think later this month's selection is more about SNA, SNFO, and SWO. Even SWO's won't know their platform or homeport...

Good luck everyone!! Get excited!

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They're still doing nuke interviews? The 4 from my class already got picked up for it, and 3 of them are for naval reactors....weird.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
My unit has two seniors lined up for interviews in January. We've only had one interview so far select for Submarines. We have to wait for the other two next month...

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Our unit just had its first NR-selectee this semester. I guess its a pretty tough program to get into. That's a very impressive selection rate for your school, CommodoreMid.

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently there was a draft for it this year. The three that got it were thinking subs/SWO went they went to DC, but when they got there the community made a pitch and basically told them that if they didn't completely screw up the interview they could get it. The three who are doing it said that of everyone that asked for NR during their round of interviews, all but 2 got it and one of those 2 still got picked up for nuke in general.

gotta_fly

pilot
Our unit had two guys get 'drafted' over the summer for naval reactors, so I think they were definitely looking for a boost in numbers. That's pretty impressive that your school sent three to the program. We had three people interview for it and none got it. With regard to the interview process in general, we sent five candidates up and got five selected back in October/November.

For those of us waiting for that 1390 designation, does anyone know where/when our board is? The bupers site has results information on a lot of boards, but none seem to pertain to ROTC service selection. I'd love to find out the information without having to wait for the millions of people above me in the chain.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Negative. This service selection is only for Navy options. We send in a list of what we want career-wise and the Navy decides what we get. You make the decision to go Marine Option much earlier in your NROTC career. The USNA does it a little different but I'll let someone that knows about that stuff explain it.

Yep, here at USNA we found out all our selections on 15 NOV. Like HighDimension said, here it's a bit different. We put in our preferences in September, then selection boards meet between then and Nov. As far as Marine Corps, you put that in your preferences along with all of the Navy options, so you don't actually have to decide to go Marine Corps until September of senior year.