• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection out of Primary/Advanced

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
MIDNJosh, not everyone has gotten THEIR first choice from Whiting lately (self included, but I'm not bitter - seriously). But, as you said, it doesn't matter.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like i said i select in 10 weeks and hopefully i don't select against the 70+ NSS rock stars. Study hard and do your best and the cards will fall where they will.

And just to stir the pot a little, your NSS will be influenced by their 70+ NSSs (indirectly via MPTS score and TGI), as long as they were in your squadron.

;)

Midshipmanjosh

MIDNJosh, not everyone has gotten THEIR first choice from Whiting lately (self included, but I'm not bitter - seriously). But, as you said, it doesn't matter.

my bad dude, i should have said that most (not all) of the marines are getting their first choice from our squadron.

And yeah i know my score will be influenced by the 5+ 70-80 NSS that have come rolling through my squadron but i can't do anything about it so why worry about it. I do my best and and the rest is up in the air. :-P

Bdc866

I thought I'd ask some opinions on a broader question than just "what are the chances I'll get jets". I'm just a lowly ROTC guy so hopefully I don't get harped on too much for this:

I see a lot of pilots saying you should pick your aircraft based on the mission. Since I started thinking about trying to be a pilot, that's been my attitude. What I'd like to do more than anything is fly close air support for the ground guys. So much that I don't even care what service it is or what type of airframe.

The AF, Army, Marines and Navy all seem to have the opportunity to get an aircraft that flies that mission.

Rather than ask "what are the chances that I'll get xx aircraft" since that topic has been beat to death horribly, I'll ask for any thoughts and opinions in general. Even why you picked flying for the service that you did. After all, flying is flying, right?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
After all, flying is flying, right?
... I'll leave this for the seniors.

However, no matter what service you pick, there will be much more to your job than flying. Ground jobs, B billets, etc ... those will differ depending on your service.

LivinMyDream

pilot
After all, flying is flying, right?

Uh, yea, flying is flying though the Air Force can take the fun out of everything. Check out baseops.net and read up on Al Udeid...

Seriously, though, different cultures and attitudes effect everything--the Navy is a pretty laid back and relaxed when compared to a lot of things the Air Force does. Our Primary flight training is a perfect example: we work when we have to, and expect everyone to be responsible for their shit. 12 hour days are not a requirement, and we don't have to show up for work when not on the schedule. Not so true in the Air Force: you will be there for your 12 hour work day no matter what.

Also, who wants to keep their sleeves rolled down 24/7--esp. in Corpus Christi in the summer? That's gotta suck.

LivinMyDream

pilot
... I'll leave this for the seniors.

However, no matter what service you pick, there will be much more to your job than flying. Ground jobs, B billets, etc ... those will differ depending on your service.

And here I was being a smart ass--you beat me to the punch AND said something more worthwhile.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
is this rumor true that selecting at the end of the fiscal year (august/september) is worse.

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they didn't select enough <insert community> bodies and now they need to make up for it. Maybe they already selected all of them. In the end, it's irrelevant, there's nothing you can do about it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"End of the FY means less selection/Beginning of the FY means more" is a classic Ensign Urban Legend. Along with:
- "I'm going to med down and roll to the next class - I heard they've got more jet slots"
- "If I get two aboves the next two flights, I'll have Tailhook grades."