• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection out of Primary/Advanced

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Dude...that is way harder!!!!

Haha... I've been able to consistently get 9's now..and a couple 10's.

This should be used in the sim's building...with a proper SOP written. :)
"S-turns north of the field, break at 180 ft for an extended left downwind. Cross the midpoint at ~ 120 ft at the 90 degrees of the square turn left base at approx 75 ft then turn final ~ 40 ft. stay on centerline for a perfect landing." :)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I'm not sure if you're talking about the following, so I apologize if it's not in the same mindset:

There is a difference between taking charge of the flight by acting without "permission" or direction and taking charge of the flight by first mentioning what you plan on doing, and then executing it with approval from the IP. I'm not saying that you should ask your IP if you should turn right. If you need to stay in the area, then verbalize that you are turning to stay in the area. Take charge in that manner. We want you to be a self-sufficient aviator that doesn't need to hold the hand of an IP. What was the occasion for when the IP didn't think it was a good idea to take charge?

It wasn't the issue of doing loops/turns/etc, without announcing it or anything like that. It was a situation like what SNA2007 said. Early on I started trying to plan out my flights, sequence of maneuvers, OLF's, etc. Some ip's really dug it, but some got pretty upset for whatever reason. After awhile it was so hit or miss with the IP's that I just said f-it and rolled into the brief.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I'm debating whether or not I should start initiating maneuvers with the words "watch this"......:)

I have made it a rule that if I ever hear that (from a stud) I take the controls...:eek:.

Also, in the same group...

"Check this out"

Any manuever following "It has been my experience"

Crying of any form... including the sniffles.

Puking combined with at least a 300' foot loss in altitude and/or rudder shakers/stall warning

"My dad/mom is an Admiral"

"What did you fly, sir? That's what I want too."

"Was that a five?" (automatic "No"... followed by a 3)

Calling me a dick without keying the mic (yes, I can read your lips in the mirror)

...and the one Stud who keyed the mic on accident(?)...3 for SA but a few 5s elsewhere...she had balls!

Sorry, I digress......back to the T-44.

Dueces,
Fly

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
It wasn't the issue of doing loops/turns/etc, without announcing it or anything like that. It was a situation like what SNA2007 said. Early on I started trying to plan out my flights, sequence of maneuvers, OLF's, etc. Some ip's really dug it, but some got pretty upset for whatever reason. After awhile it was so hit or miss with the IP's that I just said f-it and rolled into the brief.

Yea I guess every squadron is different. What you said is exactly what I meant by plan out your flights, and I was told several times that planning like that is how you separate a good student from a great student. I don't know why anyone should get in trouble for showing good planning an initiative as long as there was good CRM in the cockpit. Maybe you just got a dude who felt he needed to flex his pilot in command authority.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yea I guess every squadron is different. What you said is exactly what I meant by plan out your flights, and I was told several times that planning like that is how you separate a good student from a great student. I don't know why anyone should get in trouble for showing good planning an initiative as long as there was good CRM in the cockpit. Maybe you just got a dude who felt he needed to flex his pilot in command authority.

Getting "upset" is obviously not necessary, but sometimes the stud's plans don't jive w/ reality. On late-stage fams, I'd ask for the plan (if we hadn't already talked about it on the previous debrief). Sometimes weather or the 27 other planes that I knew were going to that OLF would preclude us from getting good training out of the stud's plan, so I'd adjust it. But if you (the stud) came w/ a plan, even if it wasn't executed, then that's another check in the box.

What did irk me was when I'd show up for an RI flight and ask "So, what's the plan?"

More times than not, I'd get the response, "Oh, I didn't know where you wanted to go/what you wanted to do, sir...." Sigh. This was never the right answer when I was a student and that was before everyone had cell phones.

Do yourselves and the IP a favor. Look at your ATS and figure out what you need, then come w/ a plan or call and ask (especially on an O/I). If your plan isn't used or if you leave a message and don't get a call back, don't sweat it, but at least you've made the effort and have demonstrated initiative.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What did irk me was when I'd show up for an RI flight and ask "So, what's the plan?"

More times than not, I'd get the response, "Oh, I didn't know where you wanted to go/what you wanted to do, sir...." Sigh. This was never the right answer when I was a student and that was before everyone had cell phones.

Do yourselves and the IP a favor. Look at your ATS and figure out what you need, then come w/ a plan or call and ask (especially on an O/I). If your plan isn't used or if you leave a message and don't get a call back, don't sweat it, but at least you've made the effort and have demonstrated initiative.

On virtually all my RI hops, my IP told me what we'd be doing and didn't even ask if I had a plan. I was sometimes asked if there was an approach I needed to do or any SSRs, but never asked "So, what are we doing?" And I'm not talking about the 3 times I was picked up on standby, either.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Well then you shouldn't be a dick, sir. A spade is a spade, don't kill the messenger.:D

So you have never had an IP put some pressure on you in the plane and thought it wasn't necessary only to look back later and realize how much it helped you?

Different students respond to different intructional/motivational techniques. One day when you return to be an IP and your student blinders have been removed, you will understand a little better.

I don't mean this as a flame so don't get your hackles up. Besides, I responded as more of a joke then anything else.

phrogpilot73

Calling me a dick without keying the mic (yes, I can read your lips in the mirror)

...and the one Stud who keyed the mic on accident(?)...3 for SA but a few 5s elsewhere...she had balls!
I was doing an off-wing flight in Primary and was having a rough go of it in the landing pattern. My IP kept taking the controls right after I was airborne after the touch and go. I get frustrated and start cussing him out. As I'm starting to intercept course rules on the way back, he asks me a question and I point with my left hand. He says "OK". That was the moment I realized I was on hit mic. After we landed I asked how long I was on hot mic and he said "long enough for me to realize you don't like it when I take the controls in the landing pattern." D'OH!

Good thing he was a classmate of my brother-in-law's and in his wedding or I probably would have been screwed.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
For all the guys rolling up into primary, the following is what I meant by chairflying:

For early fams-Study for the brief and brief yourself at home before the flight. Then go through the grade sheet and chairfly every manuever on the grade sheet. Ex. Spin- visualize and go through the entire process from setup to completion step by step. You dont know it until you have it memorized cold. Do that for every item in the flight.

For PAs-same as above

Forms- Chairfly the script and manuevers with your form partner as stated above.

RIs -here is the kick in the balls. First get the procedures down cold as per FTI with no personal deviations(sim guys hate deviations). Then go to the sim with a friend and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE I can't stress this enough. Have a friend give you the most jacked up situations and deal with them. Also use the scripts that the sim guys use(I know this was allowed at whiting not so sure about corpus). The late night sim guys at Whiting see who is practicing and are very likely to grade in your favor if they witness you busting your ass. Furthermore, get good at flying the sim so you only have to worry about RI procedures without giving yourself unusual attitudes. Many will say to forget about BAW in the sims, but it is possible to develop the touch to get 5s in those things.

IMO, good advice here. Granted, I used to do the exact same thing. Well, not for RI's, went through a time in Corpus where only below average types had first dibs on practice SIMs and I maybe got only one or two practices in. I was able to practice for every BI flight though (prior to the BA guys having priority) and ended up doing very well in that stage. Chair flying may not work for everyone but it certainly did for me. I had attained a large blown up picture of the T-34C cockpit and put it on my wall. Chair flew every FAM, PA and FORM flight like that. If one can get into the SIMs to practice, absolutely do so as well. On the old grading system, I was above average in FAM's, PA's, BI's and RI's....not so much in FORMS :eek: I credit it to the above practices.

Finally, Take charge of every event you fly don't wait for an instructor to tell you to act. After the early Fams you will look like a rockstar if you are planning your flights.

EX. When I set up my board I would have an extra not required column of mission planning stating exactly what I wanted to execute and how I intended to execute it. The less work and problem solving the instructor has to do with regards to mission planning and getting requirements done the better off you will be.

The above might impress an IP and might not, probably IP dependent. Can't hurt though, I would think. It certainly wouldn't bother me but if the brief were poor or flight no so great, it wouldn't matter. Might be the difference between average and slightly above average though.