• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Selection out of Primary/Advanced

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I guess I got lucky w/ my IP........though of course you know when you get on deck what you sucked at, like you say it is helpful to hear from the instructor how you can improve. Having an IP who pushes you to perform above MIF, or above average (either way) rather than just being happy to sign you off on an "average/good" hop has probably been the most helpful thing for me so far. If I get a 4 in something, you know "hey good on this, but here is how you can get the 5 next time".....and then he is really looking for me to show that kind of improvement by the next hop.

Thats how my onwing was, and it was the instructors like the one you describe that I learned the most from.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I couldn't agree more with the suck less do better moto. If I was getting 3s and 4s I never settled for that even if it was above mif. Every minute of every flight I was striving for that 5 in every block. This idea of never being satisfied kept me in the books and chairflying the hell out of my flights. Thats why I was so pissed about the flight discussed earlier in this thread.

The complete lack of critique in the aircraft led me to believe everything was going extremely well. Furthermore, with no critiques in between flights on an out and in, how in the world is the student supposed to improve on the second flight? When I say complete lack of critique I mean nothing was discussed until I requested a debrief at a later time. Students have no way of improving if they are not told where they suck.

I also wish to emphasize that this was an isolated example and in no way reflects the the quality and effort of 99.5% of the VT instructors I have flown with.

So chairflying is legit? I always feel like a slacker just staring off into space thinking about my previous flight, but I think it might help. People just make such a big deal about microsims and profsits....it just seems like people have been making good grades since long before all that came around, and neither are very similar to the airplane so why learn bad habits? What do you much more experienced folks think?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
What do you much more experienced folks think?

Have an instructor (old guy who flew the "Mighty Fighin Bronco" and Herc) said he would chair fly nearly all of his training flights - said it was something he had to do to get ready. He admitted that not everyone has to do it but he did. Funny you brought that up now, he told me that yesterday...

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
So chairflying is legit? I always feel like a slacker just staring off into space thinking about my previous flight, but I think it might help. People just make such a big deal about microsims and profsits....it just seems like people have been making good grades since long before all that came around, and neither are very similar to the airplane so why learn bad habits? What do you much more experienced folks think?

Dude, as a guy who got an engineering degree with a 3.45 in 3 years, I thought chairflying was retarded. Studying and succeeding was easy for me. I refused to do it at first. It WORKS. If I'd done it early on, my grades would have been a lot better.

In Las Cruces, I downed my 4204. Two days later I redid the same flight, and got a 1.25 on it. Comments were "The best flight I've ever had with a student" and on some of the maneuvers like spins and stalls he wrote "IP quality- FANTASTIC". This was all because after I downed the hop I got 2 friends to throw shit at me. I chair flew the flight from taxi to landing and had one friend make false radio calls for me to keep track of and/or respond to and the other act as my IP giving me EPs and telling me what to do etc.

Chair fly: JUST DO IT!

nvrg1vup

It's really all about consistency. You can't be ready for a flight if you haven't done those steps or thought it through mentally. Some people, myself included focus on trying to know all the "brief items" solid and not practice the manuevers enough beforehand or vice versa.
The secret is really getting a good balance between study, practice and oh yea...a beer or two(time permitting). At least drink a Carnation breakfast - those can get your shizzo rollin in no time.
After awhile it becomes routine, but as a student, I and others have to realize we don't get complacent, we get inexperience no matter our number of hours.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

I guess it depends on how you define chairflying. I was never one to sit down and think through every phase of a flight (i.e., I know guys who would go step by step from takeoff to landing), or how I would specifically and physically move in the cockpit.

For me personally, ever since primary, I'll find myself thinking about different scenarios randomly during the day, and then I'll just think myself through what I'd do. That always seemed to help me more.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My chair flying pretty much consists of me staring off into space and going over the flight in extreme detail, start to finish. I know Otto "wrote" (haha, pun intended) that he had some friends interfere at the same time. Does anyone else have any chair flying tips? The other one that seems to have some value for me is chair flying on the SPID (or other busy road).....just having the extra distraction of trying to push through rush hour traffic while making radio calls and checklists outloud in the car may help.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I've flown with several studs who did this. They were either prior aircrew or NFO retreads (or more motivated IUTs), but they would write up what they thought while waiting for me to do the gradesheet. When I got back for the debrief, I'd run through what I had and then, depending on how they wanted to do it, would either run through their items (which might be the same thing...these were usually the TACAIR guys) or would agree w/ what I had and only cover questions/items I may not have covered.

It's a great technique, but it does require some existing knowledge to do. Maybe not easy for a new SNA in early FAMs, but certainly something to consider later on.

I used to ask my HT studs to "debrief yourself," or "say the best and worst things about this hop." Sometimes they were good self-critiques, other times they vaguely resembled reality, but I thought it got the debrief started right and made the student learn to self-critique. Then I would give my own points.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The complete lack of critique in the aircraft led me to believe everything was going extremely well. Furthermore, with no critiques in between flights on an out and in, how in the world is the student supposed to improve on the second flight? When I say complete lack of critique I mean nothing was discussed until I requested a debrief at a later time. Students have no way of improving if they are not told where they suck.

I also wish to emphasize that this was an isolated example and in no way reflects the the quality and effort of 99.5% of the VT instructors I have flown with.

You're right, you should get a debrief if needed. I know it's probably too late, but that's the stuff you need to put in critiques. Be specific and "name names" ("You got me black-listed from Hop Sing's?") if you have to.

A buddy of mine got hit on a critique for doing something similar to what you describe. He debriefed, but was critiqued for not giving enough feedback in the plane. Regardless of whether the critique was warranted or not, it was addressed personally between he and the Stan O, so the critiques do work.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
For all the guys rolling up into primary, the following is what I meant by chairflying:

For early fams-Study for the brief and brief yourself at home before the flight. Then go through the grade sheet and chairfly every manuever on the grade sheet. Ex. Spin- visualize and go through the entire process from setup to completion step by step. You dont know it until you have it memorized cold. Do that for every item in the flight.

For PAs-same as above

Forms- Chairfly the script and manuevers with your form partner as stated above.

RIs -here is the kick in the balls. First get the procedures down cold as per FTI with no personal deviations(sim guys hate deviations). Then go to the sim with a friend and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE I can't stress this enough. Have a friend give you the most jacked up situations and deal with them. Also use the scripts that the sim guys use(I know this was allowed at whiting not so sure about corpus). The late night sim guys at Whiting see who is practicing and are very likely to grade in your favor if they witness you busting your ass. Furthermore, get good at flying the sim so you only have to worry about RI procedures without giving yourself unusual attitudes. Many will say to forget about BAW in the sims, but it is possible to develop the touch to get 5s in those things.

Finally, Take charge of every event you fly don't wait for an instructor to tell you to act. After the early Fams you will look like a rockstar if you are planning your flights.

EX. When I set up my board I would have an extra not required column of mission planning stating exactly what I wanted to execute and how I intended to execute it. The less work and problem solving the instructor has to do with regards to mission planning and getting requirements done the better off you will be.

Sorry for the long post, but if anyone wants more info or a better explanation PM me. Good luck to all those starting out!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Finally, Take charge of every event you fly don't wait for an instructor to tell you to act. After the early Fams you will look like a rockstar if you are planning your flights.

That can go both ways. I used to do something similar and some instructors thought it was a good idea, some not so much.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That can go both ways. I used to do something similar and some instructors thought it was a good idea, some not so much.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the following, so I apologize if it's not in the same mindset:

There is a difference between taking charge of the flight by acting without "permission" or direction and taking charge of the flight by first mentioning what you plan on doing, and then executing it with approval from the IP. I'm not saying that you should ask your IP if you should turn right. If you need to stay in the area, then verbalize that you are turning to stay in the area. Take charge in that manner. We want you to be a self-sufficient aviator that doesn't need to hold the hand of an IP. What was the occasion for when the IP didn't think it was a good idea to take charge?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

I took this to mean plan your profile for each flight. Admit your weaknesses and plan/ask to work on those.

Examples...
"I have trouble with my ATS to the left."
"My LAPL(p) needs some work."
"I haven't seen course rules to (insert OLF) from area (whatever)."

Depending on who wrote them, the ATFs often don't show these types of things. Knowing what you suck at and showing a willingness to admit it and work on it goes a long way.

The IP will probably toss your plan but as you gain experience you will learn how to properly plan and notice your plan being used as a loose guide to the flight.

The bottom line is that if you keep your head down and just try to make it through each flight, it will catch up with you.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Look, the Blues chairfly every show, every single day before they step to the jets. If it's good enough for the tightpants folks, it's good enough for the student.

Chairflying isn't just sittin'-and-thinkin'. You're trying to visualize what you're going to see and do in every stage of the flight. Put all the procedures together. The number one cause of helmet fires is that the stud has thought about, say, departure procedures as seperate steps (this is how I'll fly the takeoff...next I'll study my course rules...next I'll study my required comms). As opposed to aviating, navigating and communicating at the same time.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I took this to mean plan your profile for each flight. Admit your weaknesses and plan/ask to work on those.

Examples...
"I have trouble with my ATS to the left."
"My LAPL(p) needs some work."
"I haven't seen course rules to (insert OLF) from area (whatever)."

Depending on who wrote them, the ATFs often don't show these types of things. Knowing what you suck at and showing a willingness to admit it and work on it goes a long way.

The IP will probably toss your plan but as you gain experience you will learn how to properly plan and notice your plan being used as a loose guide to the flight.

The bottom line is that if you keep your head down and just try to make it through each flight, it will catch up with you.

This should help with your HAPL/LAPL. http://www.severin.ch/krassair/

:D:D