• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

It's funny how there's absolutely no consensus among any of you. Some say sig, others say Glock, still others S&W....so which is it? Or should I just get them all?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
It's funny how there's absolutely no consensus among any of you. Some say sig, others say Glock, still others S&W....so which is it?...

That sort of describes the thing with guns. You asked for advice or suggestions. Thats the best you're going to get from this site. What if all of us agreed on the same thing and you hated it? Theres many different makes and models and calibers. Everyone here gave suggestions as to what they like, and said why. Bottom line is its YOUR decision. Go to a range and rent a few guns. Try before you buy. See what size frames you like. See what caliber feels good for you. Some times the same caliber can feel completely different depending on the frame size and weight of the gun. Start shooting and narrow down your choices.

...Or should I just get them all?

Now you're talking. Welcome to the Airwarriors firearms forum. You application has just been accepted. :D

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
It's funny how there's absolutely no consensus among any of you. Some say sig, others say Glock, still others S&W....so which is it? Or should I just get them all?

Some of us like fat girls, some like skinny redheads, some like asians...guns are the same way...try them all, pick the ones that you like to keep. The best thing about guns is you can have more than one at the same time...

Some of us like fat girls, some like skinny redheads, some like asians...guns are the same way...try them all, pick the ones that you like to keep. The best thing about guns is you can have more than one at the same time...

So which is it for you?

FatChick.jpg

or

2800-redhead.jpg

sickboy

pilot
I have a surplus cz-82. I think it's a great weapon. It's a little chunky to carry, but it shoots straight at the range and the price is right. Although I must say that my pistol experience is limited to the M9 and 1911.

Why don't you try going to range and rent a few different ones. This way you can make your own choice based on what works for you, and your own preferences.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
CZ-75 is also a sleeper as well. They can be had at very reasonable prices, and are a great pistol. 9mm is the orginal chambering, but can be found .40 as well.

Cz75.jpg

It also has a manual safety, if that interests you. They can be found without them as well.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
CZ-75 is also a sleeper as well .....
Cz75.jpg
The CZ is a good pistol. If we're gonna' "go there", I have a preference for the BHP in 9mm -- but both are fine pistols. In fact, the talents of the Koucky Bros. notwithstanding ... I sometimes wonder: which came first; the chicken or the egg ??? :)

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Okay boys, help me buy a gun.

At this point, I am still on the fence about making an actual purchase, but I am looking for direction on specific guns. I've never owned a firearm of any kind and Husband isn't really a gun guy, so he'd be of little help in this department.

Based on the fairly minimal amount of shooting I've done, I think I want either a 357 or 10mm, probably the former.

Something both single and double action would probably be my first choice, though I could be swayed.

Beyond that, I don't know enough to even come up with criteria. I want something to keep in my house for protection, and probably to go to the range for fun and practice on occasion. I doubt I would ever actually carry it. Cheap-ish would be good, but I don't want a piece of junk.

I've emailed Husband's former roomate who had a a .357 that I really liked and I'm waiting to hear back what it was, but I am open to other suggestions as well and I figured you guys wouldn't disappoint.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I would advise against the 10mm.

I don't mean to generalize, but females tend to have smaller hands. Small hands require small grips. Small grips mean small frame. Small frame 10mm's are a bear to shoot. That's a lot of power for a full size, let alone a smaller frame pistol.

Revolvers are usually female favorites because they have nice small, manageable grips. They're simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Can't go wrong. AND you can shoot both .357 Mag and .38SPL from a .357 Mag revolver. Nice.

If you want an autoloader, I'd go with .45ACP or .40S&W. The .40 is essentially the 10mm cartridge with a shorter casing---less felt recoil at the expense of less power (but still more than adequate for personal defense). And the .45...it's just a great round. It's a timeless classic that doesn't need an explanation. It puts big holes in things and isn't too powerful for the vast majority of shooters.

9mm is good if you're looking to send a lot of lead downrange. It's cheap, but .40 is a better performer, IMO. I like to use 9mm in my small carry pistols because I can get more bang for my buck with regard to magazine capacity. I make up for it with +P+ JHP ammunition.

The best advice? Go shooting! See what you like. If you go to a range and put your charm on, guys will be more than happy to let you shoot their firearms.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
From your post, it seems like you're leaning toward a revolver? If so, I suggest a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 - that would be sufficient for whatever protection needs you have, plus you can shoot .38 special at the range to save $$$. The only downside (if you want to call it that) is the Blackhawk is single action only...though I'm not sure the 1/2 second it takes to cock the hammer makes a big difference...

navy09

None
Go to a range, rent a few and go from there. If it were me, I'd stick to the majors with proven reliability (Glock, Sig, Baretta, Kimber, M&P, Springfield, HK).

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Dead set on .357?

Smith and Wesson 686. No question. The four inch tube is nice. And being able to shoot 38 Spl is a really nice feature of .357's.

That said, .357 Mag is a hell of a round. Both for the range and to blast at an intruder. Penetrating a wall and your sleeping neighbor is an issue.

Might just be better to look at .38 Spls right off the bat. Save some money, too.

For females who mainly want a bedside gun, the Taurus Judge has received some accolades, although the brand reputation has steered me away from it, personally.