• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Jackass said:
WHX129Rphoto_big.jpg

Better tape that thing to your wrist with some 100mph. That little thing will und up in someones lap behind you if you're not careful.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
The ONLY issue I've ever had with my XD is the stovepipe jam after firing with the magwell empty and one in the chamber. Firing pin should be cleaned periodically by disengaging the pin-block, pushing the pi forward and sliding the plastic guard/firing pin indicator out. Taurus id renowned CRAP from inception until about last year. The 24/7 got some better reviews than anything else. The Judge and the Raging Bull are pretty cool concepts. Resale value is garbage, but as a first buy you can only do worse with a Hi-Point Ghetto Blaster. My first pistol was my XD and that spoiled me to no end. NO GUN I WILL EVER SHOOT will make my hands forget my XD. And I have shot many a handgun. +1 for the call out.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
you really think so? I'll agree that the ergonomics are way better, but i don't know about reliability. I've heard from several XD owners that they've had issues with the firing pin malfunctioning etc.

Nope, no problems with mine and no stovepipe jamming either. I've put about 1000 rounds through it, and several different brands too.

@Reno8706: Go with the XD9. You won't regret it.

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Owning a .50 AE Desert Eagle in the Unecessary Finish of TiNi Gold, I must advise against dumping a paycheck into this. Every magazine I empty I think, "I could have bought 2 Subway Footlongs with that cash..." My wife won't let me eat Subway alone (*whip crack*).

Renegade One

None
+1 what the elderly feller said....

I think this is where I'm supposed to say "I've drunk more beer and pissed more blood, banged more quiff and busted more ass than all you numb-nuts put together!"

Except I probably haven't...yet. :icon_tong

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
MB,

A&P off of Lynnhaven has a great selection, and I bought a Sig 556 from them. But they absolutely have the most asanine customer service I have ever seen, especially for the indoor range. I've seen Team guys storm out of that place pissed off because they treat you like a retard.

If you're not in a hurry, there's a show next weekend in Hampton:
Sep 20-21 Hampton, Convention Center, SGK, LTD 757-483-5385

This might help you decide:
http://www.sigsauer.com/MilitaryFedGov/IndividualOfficers.aspx

Attachments

• Indv-rebate-form-web.jpg
    Indv-rebate-form-web.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 16

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
You are worried about a 9mm 1911 going flying? Huh?

(have shot that size in 45, not THAT bad)
I guess if I actually paid attention I would have seen the 9 right in fron of my friggin' face. Seems like the fatter your hands are, the harder it is to shoot sub-compact big bore or magnum calibers. It's eaiser for me to shoot my DE than it is to shoot a 2" S&W .38 special. Semantics.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I guess if I actually paid attention I would have seen the 9 right in fron of my friggin' face. Seems like the fatter your hands are, the harder it is to shoot sub-compact big bore or magnum calibers. It's eaiser for me to shoot my DE than it is to shoot a 2" S&W .38 special. Symantics.

Symantics [sic]? Why do you say that? For the record I thought that was a .45 to. :)

FENIAN

Can I go home yet?
pilot
Symantics [sic]? Why do you say that? For the record I thought that was a .45 to. :)
Spelling error. See above. Meaning that the idea that a small gun is more difficult for me to shoot for reasons that are beyond explanation as opposed to the average shooter. A normally harsher weapon is easier for me. Your question has me thinking I used this word incorrectly. If that's the case, I've been using it wrong for a while. The world according to Wiki agree with me, but you never know. I already spelled wrong...dumbass (to myself, -1).

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
agree with A4's. You get what you pay for. Save up and buy Sig, S&W, OR EVEN BETTER - the Sig. You won't have to get the barrel regrooved - the 1911 is incredible. I smash black from the 25 with it. Sig is the best (I think the automatic decocking lever on them makes them perfect for everyone.

Fixed that post for ya! :D

nugget61

pilot
Wow boom, we're in the exact same situation - pacifist parents, friend had a gun that I shot, want one now as soon as I'm out of OCS.
Haven't shot one yet, but sig is really impressive on paper/reviews, and if you buy it new you can use the $100 off coupon for active duty on their website.

Bevo16

pilot
Smith and Wesson's M&P pistols have made Glock's entire line obsolete. Try them side by side, and the Glock is a clunky piece of shit. If you like holding a brick and pulling a trigger as smooth as Rosie O'Donnell's snatch, then buy a Glock.

The bottom line is shoot, shoot, shoot. Don't buy anything until you find something you like, know what it can do, and know what you really want to do with it. Find yourself a good range that has a lot of rentals, get a membership, probably a military discount, and wear our your welcome.

navy09

None
Personally im looking at either an Xd9 or a glock 19. Im going to have whichever for a while so the ~$75 difference isnt much of a factor.

Glock has a military discount...$398 for the G19. That should save you a lot more than $75 over the XD.

Note that not all gun stores participate in the program, but every semi big city should have a Glock law enforcement authorized dealer. You can call them and ask where the closest one to you is.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
That's a good point. I'm planning on buying this after OCS so I should at least have $400, though from the posts I've read it doesn't sound like I'll have much more.

I guess the mission would be a bit of a mixed one. It will be for target shooting for sure but also home defense. I don't plan on carrying it on a regular basis, though I will apply for a concealed weapon permit of course.

USAA has this great Cadet Loan...I got $20,000 at 2%...that will get you:

SoldierTech_AS50-2.jpg