• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

Flugelman

Contributor
I'm not sure about using the .38 for the range while packing the .357...

It's generally good practice to practice with what you intend to use.

I will say that I have shot neither cartridge so I offer no specific advice for the .357 or the .38

You do what I did when I taught my bride to shoot. Start them out on .38 wadcutter, it's a very mild but accurate load and teaches sight picture and trigger control. Then you move up to .38 ball and later +P. By the time we were finished (over a 2 week period) she was keeping .357 in the black at 25 yds out of a S&W Model 28. She still prefers a wheel gun so we keep a S&W Model 640 in the bedside with +P's.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Commander series Colt Pistol. I think the XSE Lightweight Commander (45 cal) version might suit you. Single action though...

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
You do what I did when I taught my bride to shoot. Start them out on .38 wadcutter, it's a very mild but accurate load and teaches sight picture and trigger control. Then you move up to .38 ball and later +P. By the time we were finished (over a 2 week period) she was keeping .357 in the black at 25 yds out of a S&W Model 28. She still prefers a wheel gun so we keep a S&W Model 640 in the bedside with +P's.

excellent advice

And I have to agree with HeloBubba,

I loooove the 1911
sure its a single action, it only means that you can fire faster ;)

but seriously, newer 1911's with firing pin blocks and slide saftey's or half-cock mechinisms can be just as safe as any DAO

Bevo16

pilot
You guys have been all over the map and no one has mentioned the .357 Sig.

Translation:

Why isn't anyone talking about MY favorite handgun? It's the bestest!!

:icon_tong

Maybe it's not anyone else's favorite? :D

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Translation:

Why isn't anyone talking about MY favorite handgun? It's the bestest!!

:icon_tong

Maybe it's not anyone else's favorite? :D

Except I don't own a H&K and none of my guns are in .357 Sig.

I do own a Model 1911 and I DO NOT recommend any single action only hand gun to a new shooter, especially for self defense. It takes way too much practice to get good at keeping the finger off the trigger and dropping the safety at the moment a shoot scenario presents it's self. Whether ultimately shooting or not, after the deadly encounter you have to remember to put it back on safety, all the while your blood is pumping, adrenalin is flowing, heart pounding and people are screaming. Not something for a weekend shooter. The vast majority of law enforcement agencies avoid single action autos for just this reason, and their cops are professionally trained.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure about using the .38 for the range while packing the .357...

It's generally good practice to practice with what you intend to use.

I will say that I have shot neither cartridge so I offer no specific advice for the .357 or the .38

This isn't really a problem. The important thing is to practice with the GUN you will carry. That way you know all the fine motor skills required to operate it and shoot it accurately. Fine motor skills are severely degraded in a deadly encounter. The other physiological reaction in a high stress situation like a gun fight is you generally do not feel the recoil or hear the bang. Most guys report hearing only pops and thinking their gun didn't go off or they had a squib round because they did not feel the recoil. That is often followed by hearing the brass hit the floor, but not hearing their partner yelling at them. Practicing with .38s and carrying .357 is not big deal as long as it is in the same gun you are carrying.

brownshoe

Contributor
Yeah, guns always get me going...:D

Ah, not to worry. I dated a girl once who had a vibrator that looked like a “ninety pound chipping hammer.” When she turned it on the lights in the neighborhood dimmed, and TV’s started to roll.:D

Steve

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I dated a girl once who had a vibrator that looked like a “ninety pound chipping hammer.” When she turned it on the lights in the neighborhood dimmed, and TV’s started to roll.:D

1. That's kind of disturbing.
2. I picture it going something like this. . .

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
This is a write up on one of the best on the market (for the price).

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm

^^^^that link also has a lot of good pictures.

Another advantage that the M&P series has over Glock is that their ergonomics. The M&P's handle has an adjustable back-strap with 3 different sizes. That makes it easier for people with smaller hands to shoot. The handle of a Glock is about as ergonomically friendly as rounded off brick.

It's a nice weapon (and the grip system is very cool), but I'd never own one. I had an older S&W Model 59---very accurate and pretty looking weapon. BUT it that had that stupid magazine interlock/disconnector. I will never own another weapon with that feature.

Bevo16

pilot
It's (the M&P) a nice weapon (and the grip system is very cool), but I'd never own one. I had an older S&W Model 59---very accurate and pretty looking weapon. BUT it that had that stupid magazine interlock/disconnector. I will never own another weapon with that feature.

It's an option on the M&P, not a feature. Mine still goes bang without the mag installed. My wife wanted the option, because she is never going to be in a situation where she is going to shoot without it and she thinks it cuts down on a chance that she would have an accident.

You are out of excuses. Off to the gun store. ;)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
It's an option on the M&P, not a feature. Mine still goes bang without the mag installed. My wife wanted the option, because she is never going to be in a situation where she is going to shoot without it and she thinks it cuts down on a chance that she would have an accident.

You are out of excuses. Off to the gun store. ;)

That's great that they made it an option. With my Smith I always feared a situation where I'd be in the middle of a tactical reload and suddenly end up face to face with a bad guy with a round in the chamber that I can't fire while fumbling to load a magazine. Highly unlikely, but scary nonetheless.

I think you may be right...might be an excuse to get a S&W back in the collection---but what caliber? If they made a 10mm it would probably be a done deal...

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I see you also mention wanting a Double Action Only?

can I ask why?

I just liked shooting with double action better than single action in the past. I was a lot better shot.

Thanks for all the input thus far. I hadn't even considered cost to shoot, which I should take into account since I would need to spend a lot of time at the range to get competent.

As far as recoil, is a .40 better or worse than a .357? I fired a few shots with a 44 once and had to stop as it was just *way* too much gun for me. Am I likely to have similar issues with the .40?