• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seeking advice on that first handgun or next weapon purchase? Ask AW!

swerdna

None
Contributor
If you're really looking for home defense, I say buy a shotgun. Just point in the general direction and fire...no need for aiming.

Not interested in a shotgun? I recommend a pistol because they can carry many more rounds than a revolver. I own a Beretta PX4 .40. It holds about 15 rounds and packs some power. It also hides nicely under my mattress.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I would advise against the 10mm.

I don't mean to generalize, but females tend to have smaller hands. Small hands require small grips. Small grips mean small frame. Small frame 10mm's are a bear to shoot. That's a lot of power for a full size, let alone a smaller frame pistol.

Revolvers are usually female favorites because they have nice small, manageable grips. They're simple, reliable, and inexpensive. Can't go wrong. AND you can shoot both .357 Mag and .38SPL from a .357 Mag revolver. Nice.

If you want an autoloader, I'd go with .45ACP or .40S&W. The .40 is essentially the 10mm cartridge with a shorter casing---less felt recoil at the expense of less power (but still more than adequate for personal defense). And the .45...it's just a great round. It's a timeless classic that doesn't need an explanation. It puts big holes in things and isn't too powerful for the vast majority of shooters.

9mm is good if you're looking to send a lot of lead downrange. It's cheap, but .40 is a better performer, IMO. I like to use 9mm in my small carry pistols because I can get more bang for my buck with regard to magazine capacity. I make up for it with +P+ JHP ammunition.

The best advice? Go shooting! See what you like. If you go to a range and put your charm on, guys will be more than happy to let you shoot their firearms.

I will be honest and say that I didn't undestand some of this. Is an autoloader a gun with a clip (as opposed to a revolver)?

I don't think I want a 9mm because the one I shot just felt sort of...wimpy. Not to the extend that the 22 did, but still, I just didn't liek it as much as some of the bigger guns. Maybe a cigar isn't always a cigar. ;)

Dead set on .357?

Smith and Wesson 686. No question. The four inch tube is nice. And being able to shoot 38 Spl is a really nice feature of .357's.

That might be the .357 that I liked so much. It sounds familiar.

If you're really looking for home defense, I say buy a shotgun. Just point in the general direction and fire...no need for aiming.

Not interested in a shotgun? I recommend a pistol because they can carry many more rounds than a revolver. I own a Beretta PX4 .40. It holds about 15 rounds and packs some power. It also hides nicely under my mattress.

I didn't like the way that shooting a shotgun felt, so I think that's out.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
Yep, an autoloader (automatic) is a gun with a clip (magazine). To echo what others have said, you'd probably make the best decision after going to the range and renting a variety of handguns. Then semantics and technical terms won't matter - you'll know what you like after shooting it.

john1513

AK or bust.
pilot
@ andrews - how do you like your PX4 (specifically ergonomics)? How does it compare with something like a Glock or Sig? Admittedly, I'm thinking of expanding the size of the "herd".

dark knight

If you're willing to venture outside the .357, look at .40

It gives the best of most worlds- stopping power of a .45 or .357, cost and feel of a 9mm.

Avoid 9mm like the plague. I swear by my Glock, but I also just bought a SIG. Both are exceptional pieces of equipment.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Avoid 9mm like the plague.

9mm is a fine round, but there are better options for a home defense weapon that will not be carried.

I agree with the Glock. It's such a tough weapon. I carry everywhere I can. I went diving a few weeks ago and didn't want to leave my firearm in my car or in a bag on the beach, so I brought it with me into the Gulf. It got wet and salty. I hosed it off a couple of days later with a hose and went shooting a few days after that. It fired flawlessly. I didn't get around to cleaning it until today. No rust anywhere except some light flash rust on the magazine liner lips. Came right off with a dry toothbrush. Glock Perfection in .45ACP. Love it.

swerdna

None
Contributor
@ andrews - how do you like your PX4 (specifically ergonomics)? How does it compare with something like a Glock or Sig? Admittedly, I'm thinking of expanding the size of the "herd".

I love it...it even came with interchangable (sp?) handles. It's a comfortable grip. I think they make a .45 now, and some PDs are carrying them.

Bevo16

pilot
Glock is VHS of the handgun world. It was neat back in the day, but everything that has come out in the past 10 years is a major upgrade.

If you think a 9mm is to "wimpy" (even though any properly placed 9mm personal defense round is going to fix any problem that you have), look at a good .40. This is a write up on one of the best on the market (for the price).

http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm

^^^^that link also has a lot of good pictures.

Some folks here have had good things to say about the XD series from Springfield Armory. A couple of weeks ago I rented one at my local range when my wife was picking out a new handgun. I came away very unimpressed with the XD. About 1 in 3 rounds failed to extract properly. I spent more time clearing jams than helping my wife shoot. It was a POS. She ended up picking the 9mm subcompact M&P 9mm after testing about 5 different guns.

Another advantage that the M&P series has over Glock is that their ergonomics. The M&P's handle has an adjustable back-strap with 3 different sizes. That makes it easier for people with smaller hands to shoot. The handle of a Glock is about as ergonomically friendly as rounded off brick.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Eh, I have a Glock, and I love it...but I pretty much agree with everything Bevo said. Maybe I am a freak of nature, but I have had no problems with the grip and feel of both the Glock family and the Beretta 92 FS (M9) that everyone seems to hate.

Also, don't listen to the "hype" of 9mm being underpowered. If you shoot someone with a 9mm round, they aren't going to shrug it off and laugh at you while they continue forward.

There are several things to consider: 9mm ammunition is cheap, which is great, because SHOT PLACEMENT is very important. If you should someone in a lethal area with a 9mm, they will go down, similarly, if you shoot someone in a non-lethal area with a larger caliber pistol, they may not. Therefore, it is good to take your pistol (whatever that ends up being) to the range a lot, so that you are confident in your ability to shoot accurately. I'm not saying you can't do this with a larger caliber, but 9mm won't make you cringe (as much) every time you shell out $$ for a box.

Also, once you take your pistol to the range and you are confident in your ability to locate, close with, and destroy the enemy with your firearm, you should consider loading Hydroshock (or similar) in your weapon as a self-defense round. Not only is it designed to maximize lethality, but it will also mushroom on impact when it hits your wall (if you miss), minimizing the chance of your round travelling through the wall and into your neighbor.

The bottom line: Any gun you buy will do what you want it to, as long as you consistently go to the range and fire it (ideally under as many varying conditions as you can think of) enough to build your confidence and accuracy with it.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
If you want a good weapon that will work in a bad situation the question is not caliber (though a 22 will do you know good). If that was the case it would be a 500 S&W for everyone. The question you need to answer is what feels better. Small hands? you may want to consider a single stack like the 1911 or a revolver. If thats not a problem then consider a double stack like a Glock or a Springfield XD. Great pistols, but if they dont fit your hands well, then aiming will not be natural and quick.

When shopping for a pistol don't disount a 9mm. Though I may prefer a .45, 9mm compensates in yes, cheaper amunition and less muzzle climb (in most pistols) allowing you to reaquire a target faster.

And Im probably going to have a lot of backlash for this statement, but the term "knock down-power" is a misnomer. You have to think physics, if a bullet has enough energy to knock someone down on impact, then it shold knock down the shooter also (for every action equal and oposit yada yada..) So dont let a sales rep use that on you.

As for the .40, I cant say personally because I havn't shot one myself, but
a friend of mine recently bot an XD40 and he loves it. It is in the double stack catagory so comfort may be a problem IF you have small hands.

I see you also mention wanting a Double Action Only?

can I ask why?

H60Gunner

Contributor
I want something to keep in my house for protection

Big ugly slobbering dogs are good for that!:D

You may want to consider a shotgun. For around 300-500 bucks you can pick up a good quality new scatter-gun. They are easy to operate, and in my opinion, better for home protection. People under stress with little or some range time usually miss with a pistol. A shotgun compensates for that somewhat. I'd look for a .410 or a 20ga pump, auto, double or single. Load it with #4 shot and you're good to go.

H60Gunner

Contributor
Had to add-

I have and carry frequently a Glock 27. I have shot it allot and am very comfy with it, I have big hands. It is a .40S&W. I also have for this pistol another barrel which turns it into a .357sig. One pistol, two calibers. It's light and small, great for carry. Bevo is right it's the VHS of weps but I am good with it and have been shooting it for over 10yrs

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys have been all over the map and no one has mentioned the .357 Sig. If you go auto loader then the .357 Sig is a good choice. There was a time when the ammo were not so easy to find. Not so now. It has great ballistics, is cheaper to shoot then the .45 and most .40 rounds. Better still, many auto loaders in .357 Sig will permit the exchange of the barrel to .40. Even the mags accommodate the .40. On a related note. I just found out that the H&K Compact 40 (and I assume other models) will shoot 9mm just fine with a 9mm barrel dropped in. But if you go revolver, get a .357 mag and shoot .38s all day. Load up .357s for night. I know some deputies that still carry .357 mag wheel guns just because of the round.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I'm not sure about using the .38 for the range while packing the .357...

It's generally good practice to practice with what you intend to use.

I will say that I have shot neither cartridge so I offer no specific advice for the .357 or the .38