• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looking right at them with sincerity. Best not to be too chatty either. Repeated foreign trips (especially to Austria) are a flag especially to countries where active collection operations (by others) are ongoing. We had a guy who had a penpal in USSR (during the Cold War) and he couldn't figure out why his clearance renewal was delayed.

A guy who just left here married a Russian gal he met on the internet who is from Vladivostok. She was in South Korea at the time and now works here, working in the import/export of liquor. Her dad is a naval engineer at the shipyard back home. He just visited the in-laws, got a tour of the port and brought back some good pics.

Suprisingly, he did not seem to have a problem with security when he was getting married while here. He did have his clearance already, and that helped.

The kicker, he was delayed for 3 months starting here because his Stepdad is a dual French-American national. :confused:

P.S. I met his wife a few times, she was very nice and definitely very good looking.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You are correct, it is bad advice - they will see the court documents directing you to an anger management program. The actual question is:

"In the last 7 years, have you consulted with a mental health professional (psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor, etc.) or have you consulted with another health care provider about a mental health related condition?"

Notice it doesn't say mental illness, but mental health related condition.

Was the anger management conducted by a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Counselor, Doctor, or Nurse? If it was - then you should answer yes. Then explain in the remarks section. It's best to be more forthcoming than less on your security questionnaire, because they WILL find out. I've answered that question yes (saw a counselor at the Community Counseling Center to help deal with the stress of getting out), and it's not a big deal. If you answer no, it can turn into a big deal because it looks like you're trying to be deceptive.

If it was me, the way I'd explain it would be something to the effect of "Directed to attend Anger Mangagement in conjunction with assault arrest in 2003. After first session, Doctor determined no anger management issues and no further treatment required." But that's just me.
Thanks.

Now here's another question: They don't give me the opportunity to explain why I sought therapy in that section. Am I supposed to explain the reason for this in the "Continuation Space," or do the investigators just find out why I was in therapy on their own?

Likewise, the criminal section doesn't give me the chance to explain anything, and they only have one field for the charge, then it says "action taken." I put down 2nd degree harassment for the charge, since that's what I pled guilty to, and outlined the sentence for "action taken." Is this correct?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I had one during my time in college when I was BDCP...took about 30 minutes. Mostly just a formality.

phrogpilot73

Am I supposed to explain the reason for this in the "Continuation Space," or do the investigators just find out why I was in therapy on their own?
Both. The Continuation Space is there for you to explain stuff. And (according to the counselor I went to) once you put them down on your security investigation, you're essentially authorizing them access to your medical records for that particular instance...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Both. The Continuation Space is there for you to explain stuff. And (according to the counselor I went to) once you put them down on your security investigation, you're essentially authorizing them access to your medical records for that particular instance...

You have to sign a separate form for them to access your medical records.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
You have to sign a separate form for them to access your medical records.

True. Everyone signs and sends in a medical release along with their SF-86 (security clearance paperwork) and fingerprint card. You should include a brief, simple explanation of whatever counseling/mental health issues on your SF-86. If OPM (who does these investigations) or DoNCAF (who adjudicates them - decides who gets the clearance and who doesn't) has any questions for you or further paperwork that they are going to require from you, they will contact whoever is processing your clearance paperwork (the person who initiates you on eQip). That person should either take care of it then or contact you about it. They usually spell out pretty specifically what they are going to need. You can then fax them further paperwork or talk to them on the phone.

GroundPounder

So does up and right mean you're absolutely honest?!?

In general, it means that you are recalling something from memory. If you are trained in the method, it is a fairly good indicator of the truthfulness of a subject that is being questioned.

The process is a part of Neuro-linguistic programming. Had to google it because I was not sure of the spelling.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Fair enough. So how should I answer the criminal questions? Is the way I have it ok? Sorry to be such a pain, it's just that the nonchalante answers I got from my recruiter have got me worried about whether or not it's good advice.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Fair enough. So how should I answer the criminal questions? Is the way I have it ok? Sorry to be such a pain, it's just that the nonchalante answers I got from my recruiter have got me worried about whether or not it's good advice.

Just be truthful and thorough, that's all they ask.

phrogpilot73

Likewise, the criminal section doesn't give me the chance to explain anything, and they only have one field for the charge, then it says "action taken." I put down 2nd degree harassment for the charge, since that's what I pled guilty to, and outlined the sentence for "action taken." Is this correct?
Yup, that is correct. They aren't going to just deny you a clearance for something like that unless you have a string of violence, combined with a lot of booze, etc... Unlike NAMI - you really don't have to fear the security guys that much. Again, be completely truthful on the SF-86. They WILL find out about your skeletons (had a CWO that was questioned about a check he bounced when he was a Sgt), and it's better if they find out because you tell them (and they verify) than they think you're clean as a whistle and then "WOW! This guy was found guilty of necrophilia! We'll have to ask about that one."