• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In general, it means that you are recalling something from memory. If you are trained in the method, it is a fairly good indicator of the truthfulness of a subject that is being questioned.

The process is a part of Neuro-linguistic programming. Had to google it because I was not sure of the spelling.

That would be it! Here's a link. It's actually like a visual lie detector and a trained interviewer can baseline you with your truthful answers and compare them with your fabrications or know when you are covering up something.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just be truthful and thorough, that's all they ask.

I am being truthful as possible. I am merely asking because, as I said before, they don't really leave space for the particulars of the case, so being "thorough" isn't an option. I was arrested for assault 3rd/tresspassing 2nd, but at my arraignment I pled guilty to 2nd degree harassment (a non-criminal offense in NY). From my limited understanding of NYS law, the official charges are levied at the arraignment. Yet I've seen people on this thread detail stories about getting grilled for arrests.

It's more my paranoia that the MIB are going to yank me from protocol school than anything else.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I am being truthful as possible. I am merely asking because, as I said before, they don't really leave space for the particulars of the case, so being "thorough" isn't an option. I was arrested for assault 3rd/tresspassing 2nd, but at my arraignment I pled guilty to 2nd degree harassment (a non-criminal offense in NY). From my limited understanding of NYS law, the official charges are levied at the arraignment. Yet I've seen people on this thread detail stories about getting grilled for arrests.

It's more my paranoia that the MIB are going to yank me from protocol school than anything else.

Are you using equip or EPSQ?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Whichever is the website one I can do at my house. I originally used the one at the recruiter's office (where they allowed explanations for such things), but now I have to fill it out a second time.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The website is equip and the standalone program is EPSQ. I have only used the latter, so I can't be too much help on that.

During your interview you will be able to explain, add, and expound on anything. You can even tell the investigator things that you forgot to put on the form/program.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
That would be it! Here's a link. It's actually like a visual lie detector and a trained interviewer can baseline you with your truthful answers and compare them with your fabrications or know when you are covering up something.

Research Findings on Neurolinguistic Programming: Nonsupportive Data or an Untestable Theory?
Journal of Counseling Psychology In 1984, Sharpley, researching for the Journal of Counselling Psychology, undertook a literature review of 15 studies on the existence and effectiveness of preferred representational systems (PRS), an important underlying principle of NLP, and found "little research evidence supporting its usefulness as an effective counseling tool" and no reproducible support for preferred representational systems and predicate matching.[24] Einspruch and Forman (1985) broadly agreed with Sharpley (1984) but disputed the conclusions, identifying a failure to address methodological errors in the research reviewed. They stated that "NLP is far more complex than presumed by researchers, and thus, the data are not true evaluations of NLP"[24] adding that NLP is difficult to test under the traditional counseling psychology framework. Moreover, they argued the research lacked a necessary understanding of pattern recognition as part of advanced NLP training, there was inadequate control of context, an unfamiliarity with NLP as an approach to therapy, inadequate definitions of rapport and numerous logical mistakes in the research methodology.[38] Sharpley (1987) responded to Einspruch and Forman (1985) with a review of a further 7 studies on the same basic tenets (totalling 44 including those cited by Einspruch and Forman).[8] This second review included Elich et al (1985), a study that found no support for the proposed relationship between eye movements, spoken predicates, and internal imagery. Elich et al stated that "NLP has achieved something akin to cult status when it may be nothing more than a psychological fad" (p625).[39]

Lack of scientific validation

Proponents of NLP often claim it is predicated on a scientific understanding and the title of Neuro-linguistic programming implies a basis in science. Psychologists Margaret Singer and Janja Lalich (1996) in Crazy Therapies say that despite lack of support from scientific research, marketers continues "to call the originators 'scientists' and to use such terms a 'science', 'technology' and 'hi-tech psychology' in describing NLP".[43] Cognitive neuroscience researcher Michael C Corballis (1999) says that "NLP is a thoroughly fake title, designed to give the impression of scientific respectability."[44][dubiousdiscuss]
Evidence-based researcher and clinician Scott Lilienfeld says that "largely untested treatments comprise a major proportion—in some cases a majority—of the interventions delivered by mental health professionals."[45] Lilienfeld argues that NLP, as a New Age psychotherapy, is one of many hundreds of variations of psychotherapy that have not been subject to rigorous empirical validation. Lilienfeld and colleagues believe that randomized controlled studies are the only way to verify whether or not psychotherapeutic treatments are effective.[45] It is argued that the proof of the validity of new therapeutic practices in clinical psychology fall on the proponents of these practices.[46] There has been no peer-reviewed empirical research on VK/D (Visual/Kinesthetic dissociation),[7] an intervention derived from NLP which has been been taught alongside other Power therapies (eg. EMDR, TFT).[46]
Psycholinguist Willem Levelt (in Dutch skeptic magazine Skepter) acknowledges that the main point of NLP was pragmatic, but points out that the title of Neuro-linguistic programming implies a basis in neurology, linguistics and computer programming. He argues that most modern neurologists are informed about the brain based on neuro-imaging and clinical data but in NLP there has been little interest in this neuroscience or clinical research. He asserts that the experimental evidence does not exist to support the hypothesis that eye movements can reveal preferred representational system. He also claims there are philosophical conflicts between the NLP meta model, the philosophy of David Hume (sensory experience is combined to form representations) and William Wundt (which Levelt considers close to "the study of subjective experience", a main idea in NLP).[47]

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I didn't need one in the fleet.

Yeah, but c'mon. You guys were driving helos. Granted, dropping a MK 58 smoke probably doesn't require a TS. I'm talking about real warfighting here. ;)

Brett

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, but c'mon. You guys were driving helos. Granted, dropping a MK 58 smoke probably doesn't require a TS. I'm talking about real warfighting here. ;)

Brett

I'll make sure to pass your sentiments on to the CSAR crews.

Nose

pilot
Raptor,

You miss the point. Granting a clearance is not an objective measure of anything. It is very subjective. If the interviewer "feels" you are not being truthful, they can recommend you not get a clearance. They don't need proof of anything. That is why a face-to-face is required (not just of you but of your references and neighbors/former neighbors and secondary refrences.).

BTW, one of the intel geeks can correct me but TS and SCI are two different things. It is possible (but unusual) to have access to SCI without a TS, and it is possible to have a TS but not have access to any SCI programs.

N

Pugs

Back from the range
None
BTW, one of the intel geeks can correct me but TS and SCI are two different things. It is possible (but unusual) to have access to SCI without a TS, and it is possible to have a TS but not have access to any SCI programs.

N

There are, in fact, Secret SCI programs.

phrogpilot73

That is correct, they are two separate things. I know you can have TS without the SCI.

*EDIT - Pugs pointed out something I didn't know.

Future SWO?

Final Select SWO 1/25 OCS date 6/14/08
Will they actually track down all the people on your list for a face to face interview if you are only going for a Secret clearance? I wondered if they did any of this over the phone, "hi, what do you think about so and so? Oh good... clearance granted!"

Nose

pilot
I don't know about secret. I think that can be done with phone calls.

SCI requires a SSBI (or whatever they call it now.) That requires a face to face with your refs. They will ask your refs for names of people who know you and try to talk to them too (so they talk to someone that wasn't recommended by you.) If you are in a squadron, it is not uncommon for them to walk to halls looking for someone who knows "Lt Grabasandwich"