• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Raptor,

You miss the point. Granting a clearance is not an objective measure of anything. It is very subjective.

I know, I just want to make sure that others know this is not a science (as it's name would imply) but an art with a very convincing sounding name, if someone knows the "system" they can fool it with practice... like has been echoed here before "It's not a lie... if you believe it."

Believe It:D

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Will they actually track down all the people on your list for a face to face interview if you are only going for a Secret clearance? I wondered if they did any of this over the phone, "hi, what do you think about so and so? Oh good... clearance granted!"

The investigation for a Secret clearance is the NACLC (National Agency Check/Local Check). These investigations entail a thorough review of your police, financial, rental, medical records. If everything is in order, you will not usually ever hear from OPM on these.
Yes, they do SSBI interviews over the phone. I have done them often for my friends from previous commands when there are geographical seperation issues for the interviewer.
The gist of the interview is usually, "How long have you known xxx? What kind of things does he do for fun? Does xxx seem to have any drinking problems? Do you know xxx's wife, yyy? How long have xxx and yyy been married? Does xxx give you reason to believe he associates with terrorist groups or do you question his alligiance to the US? Do you rely on xxx's judgement in personal and professional matters?" They won't interrogate you, they just run the details on the SF-86 past the person's friends and associates in an attempt to catch any attempts at fudging the truth or blatant security problems.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
The gist of the interview is usually, "How long have you known xxx? What kind of things does he do for fun? Does xxx seem to have any drinking problems? Do you know xxx's wife, yyy? How long have xxx and yyy been married? Does xxx give you reason to believe he associates with terrorist groups or do you question his alligiance to the US? Do you rely on xxx's judgement in personal and professional matters?"
So you're the one responsible for this guy's security clearance?
fvxx1xxxposterstl4.jpg

Coming Soon to the GWOT!

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
Oh yeah, and do not lie on these investigations.
I know it all seems like a ridiculous paper-chase 99% of the time. But the purpose of this is ultimately to prevent espionage. Espionage in the past has had far-reaching effects that have gotten a great deal of people killed.
If you do in fact have a buddy who gets black-out drunk every weekend and forgets where he goes and who he talks to, has multiple criminal convictions they are "hiding" from the command, is looking to make a quick 100K to get the mafia off his back, frequently returns from 24 hour trips to former Soviet Bloc countries jittery and upset, as though he has just been to debrief with his handler, etc....
TELL SOMEONE! The investigators are trying to weed out those rare people who are in such a vulnerable point in their lives that they are too succeptible to foreign influence and do not need to be in that position.
OK, sorry, stepping off my security soap-box now...