• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance

lacasera

Currently in a med hold pattern at API
So this morning i get a call from a guy who says he is working on my security clearance and would like to schedule an interview. I'm all for it, except he is in Pennsylvania where I went to school and I'm in Virginia Beach where i live so it needs to be rescheduled. But, why does he need to schedule an interview. In cruising around airwarriors, I have never heard of anyone needing an interview. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I had to go through an interview. My interview was because I didnt put down a wrongful arrest on my questionnaire.

I was wrongfully arrested in High School (7 years ago) ever saw a judge because the DA thought the whole thing was stupid and told the County Sheriff to release me.

The question on the NS Questionnaire asked for convictions or charges. I was never charged with anything so I put "N/A". I have an arrest record so that was flagged by USGS and they called me in. I explained the situation and everything came out fine.

Dont know the particulars for your situation but could be similar.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So this morning i get a call from a guy who says he is working on my security clearance and would like to schedule an interview. I'm all for it, except he is in Pennsylvania where I went to school and I'm in Virginia Beach where i live so it needs to be rescheduled. But, why does he need to schedule an interview. In cruising around airwarriors, I have never heard of anyone needing an interview. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Everyone gets interviewed before their clearance is adjudicated.

Brett

Flugelman

Contributor
Not Unusual

A retired Secret Service agent came to my office to interview me for a TS clearance for my work after I retired from the Navy. I had held a TS while on active duty so I thought it would be a cakewalk. Not so, they did the whole shebang all over again. He also interviewed neighbors and relatives. I never realized that they were that thorough.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A retired Secret Service agent came to my office to interview me for a TS clearance for my work after I retired from the Navy. I had held a TS while on active duty so I thought it would be a cakewalk. Not so, they did the whole shebang all over again. He also interviewed neighbors and relatives. I never realized that they were that thorough.

Every time you start a a new agency or change your status, like go from contractor to government civilian or military to contractor, they still do some of the background investigation. I know a guy who retired from the military and did a contractor gig, then got hired on as a civilian. He was doing the same job in the same office but he had to get reinvestigated when he got hired as a contractor and again as a civilian. Government efficiency at its best!

In reality, if you have a current clearance it makes things much easier and I am pretty sure they can skip over some things that were done before, but almost every agency still does some checks to make sure. I went from military to government civilian at the same agency and my background check still took 4-6 weeks. If your security clearance has expired though they have to redo the whole thing from scratch, a buddy of mine whose Top Secret clearance lapsed when he left the Navy took 4 months to get fully cleared by the security office.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Everyone gets interviewed before their clearance is adjudicated.

Brett

Really? Not being a smart ass, but I've never been interviewed, both when I was a nuke and then when I was commissioned. All I did was fill out the security questionnaire. I suppose that could technically be called an "interview".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really? Not being a smart ass, but I've never been interviewed, both when I was a nuke and then when I was commissioned. All I did was fill out the security questionnaire. I suppose that could technically be called an "interview".

Everyone gets interviewed for their Top Secret SCI clearance, was yours Secret or Top Secret SCI?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I didn't get interviewed for my secret clearance when I went in enlisted either. They should be opening up my background check for my new clearance here shortly when my ankle waiver gets approved. We'll see if they interview me this time...

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Everyone gets interviewed for their Top Secret SCI clearance, was yours Secret or Top Secret SCI?

Ah yes, that makes sense, mine were/are only secret. The OP didn't specify TS and Brett said everyone got an interview.

phrogpilot73

Again, not necessarily true. I submitted my paperwork for an SSBI before I left for deployment. When I got home from deployment (about 8 months after I submitted my paperwork) there were a number of messages on my answering machine from an investigator asking me to call to arrange an interview. I called back and left a message that I had returned the call. It wasn't on the priority list, so I forgot about it until I checked out from my squadron. When I checked out with the S-2, they told me that my SSBI had been completed the month I returned, and that I was TS/SCI eligible and all I had to do was be read in. I was never interviewed.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, not necessarily true. I submitted my paperwork for an SSBI before I left for deployment. When I got home from deployment (about 8 months after I submitted my paperwork) there were a number of messages on my answering machine from an investigator asking me to call to arrange an interview. I called back and left a message that I had returned the call. It wasn't on the priority list, so I forgot about it until I checked out from my squadron. When I checked out with the S-2, they told me that my SSBI had been completed the month I returned, and that I was TS/SCI eligible and all I had to do was be read in. I was never interviewed.

Okaayyyyyy, everyone is supposed to be interviewed for their TS SCI. You are definitely an exception to the rule, through your neglect and ignorance. ;)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Thread jack:

I have to fill out the security form for a 2nd time because they switched over to the 'net while I was waiting to go to King's Bay (d'oh), and there is a question on there:

"Have you ever seen a doctor or other mental health professional to treat a mental illness." Might be worded slightly longer, but that's essentially what the question is asking.

When I got into a fight at college a four years ago, part of my sentencing was a stint in anger management. The doc said I didn't have anger issues, just thought I needed to exercise better judgement. Wrote a letter to the court reflecting this, done and done.

So, I would answer that question as "No." I saw the guy because the court ordered it, not because I had a mental illness. Is this the way the security guys will look at it, or am I "lying" by answering it that way? I asked my recruiter about it, and his response was to not disclose the anger management anywhere on my application at all. That seemed like bad advice, given that the anger management is part of the court case documents that the investigators will surely see.

phrogpilot73

"Have you ever seen a doctor or other mental health professional to treat a mental illness." Might be worded slightly longer, but that's essentially what the question is asking.

When I got into a fight at college a four years ago, part of my sentencing was a stint in anger management. The doc said I didn't have anger issues, just thought I needed to exercise better judgement. Wrote a letter to the court reflecting this, done and done.

So, I would answer that question as "No." I saw the guy because the court ordered it, not because I had a mental illness. Is this the way the security guys will look at it, or am I "lying" by answering it that way? I asked my recruiter about it, and his response was to not disclose the anger management anywhere on my application at all. That seemed like bad advice, given that the anger management is part of the court case documents that the investigators will surely see.
You are correct, it is bad advice - they will see the court documents directing you to an anger management program. The actual question is:

"In the last 7 years, have you consulted with a mental health professional (psychiatrist, psychologist, counselor, etc.) or have you consulted with another health care provider about a mental health related condition?"

Notice it doesn't say mental illness, but mental health related condition.

Was the anger management conducted by a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Counselor, Doctor, or Nurse? If it was - then you should answer yes. Then explain in the remarks section. It's best to be more forthcoming than less on your security questionnaire, because they WILL find out. I've answered that question yes (saw a counselor at the Community Counseling Center to help deal with the stress of getting out), and it's not a big deal. If you answer no, it can turn into a big deal because it looks like you're trying to be deceptive.

If it was me, the way I'd explain it would be something to the effect of "Directed to attend Anger Mangagement in conjunction with assault arrest in 2003. After first session, Doctor determined no anger management issues and no further treatment required." But that's just me.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I also had to have an interview even for my secret clearance. It seems if there's anything questionable on there they want to talk to you. In my case it was because my father was living outside of the US at the time (and I was still 17 my first semester of NROTC) so apparently they questioned my allegiance to America or something. Had to spend about 3 hours with some woman detailing every single time I'd ever been out of the country, who I was with, what I did, etc.