• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ribbons and warfare devices

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
By that I meant there was never a formal pinning or anything. More of "go ahead and wear it" when I finished PQS

I would check your service record and confirm with 100% certainty that it is notated properly.

I found out a couple of months ago that two extended-AT's that I performed years ago were never properly entered into the "system." Thank goodness I kept a copy of the endorsed orders. I simply faxed the orders to the appropriate people and the issue was corrected. Unfortunately, had I not had the endorsed orders, I would not have received the proper credit for those AT's.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Per a navadmin or some such the Army Combat Action Badge transfers into the Navy's Combat Action Ribbon, which the member is authorized to wear.

That's what they decided to do? Pfft. Yes, that makes much more sense than just letting them wear a device they earned, fair and square.

I swear...this company we work for... :icon_tong

...and for those of you out there who love "the book answer", here it is:

NAVADMIN 152/08

Damn...I've been in Admin too long :(
The Navadmin makes a distinction between the Combat Infantry Badge / Combat Medical Badge and the Combat Action Badge. THE CIB /CMB have more strict requirements for earning and are the ones that automatically receive the Combat Action Ribbon equivalency. The CAB is only a few years old and was the Army's response to all the non-Infantry/combat medics crying "why are they special? Where's our award?". The Navadmin states CABs awarded to Navy personnel are reviewed on a case by case basis to determine if wearing a Combat Action Ribbon is to justified.

C. U.S. NAVY PERSONNEL ASSIGNED EITHER PERMANENTLY OR TEMPORARILY TO U.S. ARMY OR U.S. AIR FORCE COMMANDS IN COMBAT, WHO EARN THE U.S. ARMY COMBAT ACTION BADGE (CAB) OR THE U.S. AIR FORCE COMBAT ACTION MEDAL (CAM), ARE NOT AUTOMATICALLY ELIGIBLE FOR THE CR. AT THE TIME NAVY CONCURRENCE IS APPROVED FOR THE CAB OR CAM, CNO WILL DETERMINE IF CR ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA HAS BEEN MET. CNO AWARDS OFFICE WILL UPDATE NDAWS TO REFLECT APPROVAL OR DISAPPROVAL OF CR CONVERSION AND THE SUBMITTING COMMAND WILL BE NOTIFIED. PREVIOUS CONCURRENCE APPROVALS SUBSEQUENT TO 18 SEPTEMBER 2001 OF THE CAB OR THE CAM WILL BE ENTERED INTO NDAWS BY CNO AWARDS OFFICE NLT 30 JUNE 2008.

randrx2

If I received a Surface Warfare pin while enlisted (silver), then where it on an Officer's uniform, would it be silver or gold?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you earned an ESWS pin, you rate an ESWS pin. It doesn't automatically become gold once you become an officer - the SWO pin is a different pin and a different qualification.

randrx2

If you earned an ESWS pin, you rate an ESWS pin. It doesn't automatically become gold once you become an officer - the SWO pin is a different pin and a different qualification.

Thank you. I was wondering about that and was trying to remember if I ever saw an officer (prior enlisted) wearing one.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You will see plenty of those, as well as silver dolphins. I don't recall seeing too many AW pins on Naval officers, though, which makes me curious. Is that just due to chance, career paths, or an obscure uniform reg?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
You will see plenty of those, as well as silver dolphins. I don't recall seeing too many AW pins on Naval officers, though, which makes me curious. Is that just due to chance, career paths, or an obscure uniform reg?

Probably the latter two. If a E-dog squadron guy wanted to get commissioned, what would he want as a job? Naval Aviator or NFO of course! Then later down the line when this individual gets his/her wings the obscure uniform reg that says that one can't wear multiple warfare devices from the same community at once takes effect and the default is the NA/NFO device. Of course this hypothesis is all based on conjecture, anecdotes, and a general but limited knowledges of the uniform regs. :D

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Then later down the line when this individual gets his/her wings the obscure uniform reg that says that one can't wear multiple warfare devices from the same community at once takes effect and the default is the NA/NFO device.

Actually, you can wear pilot/nfo wings and the NAC wings together.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
EAWS is replaced by pilot/NFO wings; Pilot/NFO wings replace each other...

if anyone is interested, it's spelled out in 5201.2.c.3.a. of the uniform regs:
http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter5/chapter_5.htm#sec2

Only one insignia from any single category of insignia listed above <(paragraph 5201.2.a.)> is authorized for wear at the same time.
Those categories being Aviation Warfare, Submarine Warfare, et al. So, Pilot / NFO wings cannot be worn together, unless you're in the Marine Corps.

I did find this paragraph interesting, although I cannot imagine a situation where an officer would be reverted to Enlisted status. It would surely be an interesting site: an enlisted person wearing a gold SWO pin or pilot wings.

Enlisted personnel, who qualified in a warfare specialty as officers and were subsequently reverted to enlisted status, may continue to wear the officer insignia.

Kyoowashugi

I cannot imagine a situation where an officer would be reverted to Enlisted status. It would surely be an interesting site: an enlisted person wearing a gold SWO pin or pilot wings.

I've never heard of it being done in the Navy, but I know of a case in the Army. Don't really remember specifics but it can happen.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I've never heard of it being done in the Navy, but I know of a case in the Army. Don't really remember specifics but it can happen.

Happenend to my uncle but he was Army. Got his commission and had 2 years to finish his degree. Didn't get the degree so they took the commission away.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know of a Marine to whom that happened. He was a prior, got commissioned, then became an A-6 B/N. With the early 90's RIF's, those officers who were prior enlisted were given the option of reverting to enlisted status. He took that option so he could finish out his 20, so for a while, there was a Gunny walking around with a set of NFO wings.

I never understood the logic of doing that, until I realized from reading here that he still would have still received Major's retirement pay.