• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ribbons and warfare devices

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
I'd like to hear some comments regarding priors wearing their ribbons and E-warfare pins in the pipeline. I'm definitely proud of what I've earned in my time, but don't want to be looked at as "that guy" when I too will just be another student.

The whole reason I bring this up is because I have run into a few guys that really take it personal when somebody of lower rank has more"chest candy", and with that in mind what about a prior who has been awarded an Air Medal (meritoriously)?...... (not me, another OC)

As far as name tags, I've already decided that my silver dolphins will not be added, but when in Khaki, Whites, etc, I plan on putting them right where they were pinned until I EARN those coveted wings of gold.

thoughts?

tiger84

LT
pilot
I'd like to hear some comments regarding priors wearing their ribbons and E-warfare pins in the pipeline. I'm definitely proud of what I've earned in my time, but don't want to be looked at as "that guy" when I too will just be another student.

The whole reason I bring this up is because I have run into a few guys that really take it personal when somebody of lower rank has more"chest candy", and with that in mind what about a prior who has been awarded an Air Medal (meritoriously)?...... (not me, another OC)

As far as name tags, I've already decided that my silver dolphins will not be added, but when in Khaki, Whites, etc, I plan on putting them right where they were pinned until I EARN those coveted wings of gold.

thoughts?

All of the priors I've seen both in OCS and in the training pipeline have worn all of their ribbons and warfare devices. People will obviously know you're a prior, but that's about as far as it goes towards being "that" guy. Obviously, if you act like a douche you'll get what you deserve. In any case, wear what you've got and be proud of it.

Tom

pilot
Contributor

thoughts?
Wear what you've earned. If someone doesn't like the fact that you have more awards, ribbons, medals or warfare pins than them it's their problem. Don't carry yourself based off expectations of others. Follow the regs, do you best and help buddies out. If you're ashamed to wear your dolphins then you do a disservice to the uniform.

In my opinion, when I see a prior with the "chest candy" I consider them an asset because it shows experience.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Wear them. You are an example of prior service and excellence that your flight school peers will look up to. If someone is jealous of a ribbon you have, they have some serious ego issues.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I do think it's odd when someone gets dolphins, surface warfare pin, or airborne wings on his flight suit patch, though.

By all means wear everything when in a service uniform.

brownshoe

Contributor

thoughts?

Young man, you wear everything you’ve earned. You did the work! Show it off! And, good luck to you.

Steve

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do think it's odd when someone gets dolphins, surface warfare pin, or airborne wings on his flight suit patch, though.

By all means wear everything when in a service uniform.
Odd? It's just like any other nametag. Name, Rank/Callsign, and warfare pin. If you're a transition who doesn't have wings but has a warfare pin, why wouldn't it go on your flight suit nametag?

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Odd? It's just like any other nametag. Name, Rank/Callsign, and warfare pin. If you're a transition who doesn't have wings but has a warfare pin, why wouldn't it go on your flight suit nametag?

That is exactly the argument I thought would start. Why wouldn't you (I) wear it? But, I brought it up because it has been suggested to me by a few officers. Their argument was to make sure you don't look like you're show-boating, etc. Personally I feel that it would be grades/rep/personality that would hurt/help, not ribbon rack or prior service community.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IMO, unless you want to wear an assed-up uniform, uniform regs are uniform regs. They don't tell you you can "pick and choose" what to put on your uniform. Yes, I know, the regs are "bent" on occasion in real life, but why not wear what you earn?

Besides, 99% of the time you'll be in a bag anyway, which means those ribbons would really REALLY stick out anyhow. And be a FOD hazard.:D

Pilot123

pilot
I know seveal priors in Primary that wear their enlisted warfare pins (both Navy and AF prior guys) with no negative results. I would wear it if you've earned it. If anything it can be a discussion starter with IP's and other students who want to know about your experiences.