• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ribbons and warfare devices

swerdna

None
Contributor
I did find this paragraph interesting, although I cannot imagine a situation where an officer would be reverted to Enlisted status. It would surely be an interesting site: an enlisted person wearing a gold SWO pin or pilot wings.

I think it could happen in the Navy if an LDO decided to resign his commission and revert to enlisted status after having earned a warfare pin. But yeah, I've never heard of it happening either.

sickboy

pilot
I've never heard of it being done in the Navy, but I know of a case in the Army. Don't really remember specifics but it can happen.

One of the Senior Chiefs at my uncle's retirement was a former Navy LT who got out after his four and enlisted in the Coast Guard. Only Chief I've ever seen with a SWO pin.

I would check your service record and confirm with 100% certainty that it is notated properly.

I found out a couple of months ago that two extended-AT's that I performed years ago were never properly entered into the "system." Thank goodness I kept a copy of the endorsed orders. I simply faxed the orders to the appropriate people and the issue was corrected. Unfortunately, had I not had the endorsed orders, I would not have received the proper credit for those AT's.

I checked, it wasn't entered correctly. I'm in the process of finding my PQS signatures (which shouldn't be a problem, I keep them all) to get this fixed.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
although I cannot imagine a situation where an officer would be reverted to Enlisted status. It would surely be an interesting site: an enlisted person wearing a gold SWO pin or pilot wings.

LDO's can revert back to enlisted for retirement purposes...I don't know the ins and outs of it...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know of a Marine to whom that happened. He was a prior, got commissioned, then became an A-6 B/N. With the early 90's RIF's, those officers who were prior enlisted were given the option of reverting to enlisted status. He took that option so he could finish out his 20, so for a while, there was a Gunny walking around with a set of NFO wings.

I never understood the logic of doing that, until I realized from reading here that he still would have still received Major's retirement pay.

Yea, I had an uncle who I knew as a WW II submariner. He was still in the Reserves closing in on 40 years of service and on a set of active duty orders when my grandfather died (his father). I was a brand new ensign, but I knew something was amiss when he shows up in an Senior Chiefs uniform with gold dolphins and red strips :eek:. Turns out he was given a commission in WW II and served as a pig boat XO. After the war he was reduced to his permanent rank of Chief. He was in and out of the Reserves for years. Got busted twice or three times (red strips), clawed his way back to E-8, and was on active duty running the Disciplinary Barracks at Great Lakes. Is this a great organization or what?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, I had an uncle who I knew as a WW II submariner.... officer ... chief ... Dolphins ... red stripes ... detention barracks ... Reserves ... Is this a great organization or what?
From your story ... sounds more like:

Is this a great uncle, or what??!! :D

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Am I going to be applying a sign to my back that says "fuck with me" if I wear my Aircrew wings on my nametag in flight school?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This isn't a flame on anybody. This question has been asked many times before, and I need to get something off my chest. I will make myself abundantly clear. DISCLAIMER: I am about to flip my shit. *pause, deep breath* Ahrem.

IF YOU RATE IT, WEAR IT!!!!

Good Lord Almighty! Are you going to then go ahead and take off all your medals and ribbons that you EARNED in order to blend in with ENS Numbnuts wearing a pizza stain? Does your service mean that little to you? I hope not.

Mine doesn't. I'm a former Naval Aviator turned SNFO. I've had people (not saying who) tell me that I might want to think about getting a nametag without wings to "blend in in flight school." SCREW THAT. I EARNED my wings and Big Navy has not seen fit to take them off my uniform, and believe me; they had the opportunity. So I'll be DAMNED if I do it myself. Why should you for less?

Did you not bust your ass to earn those AC wings? Were you not proud to get them pinned on? You earned them, and what's more, you KEPT THEM. That's what you're saying if you take them off; you're lumping yourself in with every poor schmuck who has screwed up so badly and so blatantly that they got their wings physically pulled. Think about that.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
IF YOU RATE IT, WEAR IT!!!!

+1, I don't understand what the fear is? IP's don't care if you are prior. If I knew you were a prior and not wearing a pin you earned then I would say something. It's not like we sit around and say "Hey that guy has his (enter pin here). He better be able to fly the shit out of this aircraft." This is getting old.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is this some sort of OCS holdover? Do the priors get a bigger helping of shit there from the DI's than non-? I wouldn't have thought so, but some of you guys are so goddamned skittish about "standing out" in the VT's.

Absolutely nothing wrong with having AC wings (or Dolphins, or ESWS, or whatever) on your nametag. Hell, it's a great idea...gives you and the IP something to talk about during quiet moments of an AIRNAV besides EP's or playing stump-the-chump.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Am I going to be applying a sign to my back that says "fuck with me" if I wear my Aircrew wings on my nametag in flight school?

No, I wore mine all the way through...I also wore my leather jacket, aand some of my old squadron patches on Fridays. The only thing that says "fuck with me" is if you wear an undeserved sense of entitlement with your AC wings...otherwise you get treated the same, if not a little better, than the rest of the herd.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
No, I wore mine all the way through...I also wore my leather jacket, aand some of my old squadron patches on Fridays. The only thing that says "fuck with me" is if you wear an undeserved sense of entitlement with your AC wings...otherwise you get treated the same, if not a little better, than the rest of the herd.

Cool...I wouldn't care if it set me apart from the crowd, I was just worried that some IP's would hold it against me if I dicked up something simple. I guess Flying Low explained that pretty well.

Nittany03: Sorry to make you waste all that extra time dicking around with the font and text size and stuff...:icon_smil