• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
and is all funded through NGA. The Navy should not be limiting or "holding back" access.

Again with this? No one is holding anything back. And as it was explained to me, CNAF funded the access. They may have received the money from elsewhere, but I wasn't privy to that.

I believe you still have to register your email through FF for MFB. I didn't end up going down that road because of some EULA requirements, but plenty of the uniformed dudes have access.

The bigger question for the Romeo guys now...do you have to put your iPad in the bag along with your phones?

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
The bigger question for the Romeo guys now...do you have to put your iPad in the bag along with your phones?
TACAIR aircraft don’t allow PFDs in the cockpit anymore, and I am told that the big-wing MPRA types have had to fly with all PEDs in a Faraday bag for some time now. A large part of my hesitation towards “us” allowing our students to learning pubs (in Primary) via ForeFlight is exactly this issue - many fleet aircraft don’t allow for such devices to be used in flight..

Oh and the Air Force solved the problem by physically cutting out the camera, mics, and GPS antennas from their iPads. Additionally, their devices can only be updated via specific WiFi hotspots when deployed. It cost a chunk of change to accomplish, but it seems to be working well for them. All their paper checklists are gone (or so a friend bragged to me) and their backup is a second iPad. As I understand it that solution works great for MAF, but it’s not exactly a solution the Navy can use afloat. Thus, paper pubs are still alive and well in the fleet, and for good reason I’d say.

Back when I winged (circa 2017) my Coast Guard friends were already issued iPads and FF subscriptions while in flight school, whereas I was paying for my own personal device and a subscription out of pocket. Now the Navy generously pays for the FF subscription and each wing/ command is issuing iPads as they have the funds, but it’s far from a uniform solution for all. Not good, not bad, just different!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TACAIR aircraft don’t allow PFDs in the cockpit anymore,

My understanding is this is mitigated (officially, anyway) by using the shitty Android tablets which are locked down.

Oh and the Air Force solved the problem by physically cutting out the camera, mics, and GPS antennas from their iPads. Additionally, their devices can only be updated via specific WiFi hotspots when deployed. It cost a chunk of change to accomplish, but it seems to be working well for them.

This makes a lot of sense. But for that to happen in the Navy, it would require the PMA to have a clue as to how the rest of the world actually uses these things and then have the know-how to make it all possible. Instead it's much easier to buy a knock-off tablet that's easy to lock down but no one wants to use.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is about 4 years ago, but just stumbled across it yesterday. Made me miss the old office for a little bit. But as a buddy once said about Naval Aviation, "If you could launch from North Island at 1000, play around the Kane Moa or chase goats around San Clemente, bag 2 or 3 touch and goes and a couple traps on USS Boat, shut down, eat a slider in the dirty shirt and then launch for home, in the chocks by 1400 and dinner with the family, I wouldn't be getting out." I am still OK being retired from this office. But I sometimes do miss it, just like I do the Navy.
B737 sunset.jpg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Big fantasy I’ve had for quite a while…law enforcement helo pilot. As a former Navy SH-60B helo pilot and former Cincinnati Police Officer, I really wanted to do it…unfortunately, the law enforcement helo pilot slots are pretty hard to get (I tried). Anyway, one of my fellow Delta pilot buddies felt sorry for me and kindly gifted me this LEGO kit yesterday…good times!
:thumbsup:

NOTE: Also pictured below is my Cincinnati Police badge as well as my duty firearm (S&W 5946 9mm)…both of which I purchased when I resigned from the Cincinnati Police to return to Delta Air Lines following pilot furlough. Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch pictured below is included because I have the technologies.

D6610583-6D47-4E1C-B499-236874878C02.jpeg

2828D86C-4189-4C4C-9728-B56092889603.jpeg

44C0FAAE-BB04-41FE-A4A8-74DF1F55B1A3.jpeg

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Almost forgot…possibly the coolest thing in the LEGO set (other than the LEGO helo)…LEGO handcuffs…

C31423E1-5DCD-496A-8731-87431E8704D7.jpeg

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Nice!! Thats some good looking Skymasters there parked on the grass!
Skymasters can’t hover! The airfield owner is a big Skymaster promoter and is currently looking to buy a second that was a warbird.