• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I was in Pensacola in Sept/Oct 1986 going through NACCS. I always felt sorry for the AOCS guys….i even got saluted by a candidate (DI was watching from afar…laughing).
I was an AOC at the same time you were there…I was an AOC from late AUG86 to late NOV86.

Did you see me doing EMI?

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
I was in Pensacola in Sept/Oct 1986 going through NACCS. I always felt sorry for the AOCS guys….i even got saluted by a candidate (DI was watching from afar…laughing).
I was across the street at NACCS summer of 84. 2 years after boot and the sight of a smoky still stiffened me up until I crossed paths with one of the DI's he nodded asked "what's up?" and went his way. Navy classmate got caught pointing and laughing at the candidates and our instructor sent him across the street to join them for a couple of days.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two Batts in 1986…Batt I Bulldogs and Batt II Razorbacks…I think they were the Razorbacks…or maybe they were the Hedgehogs? Also, I had heard that during Vietnam, there was a Batt III.
Yup, three Batts until sometime mid 70s, before I got there. When I was there, there were two Batts and they were II and III. Batt I had become the Regimental building. Started/graduated a class every two weeks. First week of June I was in 12-79.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I was an AOC at the same time you were there…I was an AOC from late AUG86 to late NOV86.

Did you see me doing EMI?
I was across the street at NACCS summer of 84. 2 years after boot and the sight of a smoky still stiffened me up until I crossed paths with one of the DI's he nodded asked "what's up?" and went his way. Navy classmate got caught pointing and laughing at the candidates and our instructor sent him across the street to join them for a couple of days.
Yall are old. I was still riding bicycles that had training wheels back then.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

GroundPounder

New update on SHADY TWO.

We have had two instances where people involved in minor accidents have taken their own lives while still at the accident scenes. Neither seemed to be intoxicated or had any factor that would have made the wreck anything other than a traffic ticket at most. Obviously these are the exception, but it does happen.

If he thought it would cost him is job, or the chance to advance, maybe that is all it took.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Cobra is coming along. We may miss our goal of installing it in the Air Base AZ CAF museum by the end of August. Believe it or not, rain delays. To get the rotor and blades on we have to roll it out from the building, and we are trying to avoid rain. The detail is awesome, to a point. We have every stencil and decal properly displayed on the aircraft. Problem is, most of the minor stencils were not to be seen on Desert Storm Army Cobras. They were painted beige with rollers in theater. It was Saudi house paint, white and brown mixed. Painted right over existing stencils and most were never replaced. Ours looks much nicer. This laser warning decal on the TSU is a reproduction by one of our members, but is perfectly accurate.
laser warning.jpg

This is the pilot of the famous Sand Shark, CW3 Warren Alyworth. The decal on the lower right cockpit plexi is from a German gun club Warren was a member of. We called them and they are sending us a club decal which will be a fixed in the same location.

20220819_181655.jpgimg_86-1_11.jpg

Our Cobra getting it's 90 degree gear box installed the other day. Yes that is a hammer! They are army crew chiefs after all. Old soldiers, but soldiers none the less.

20220813_085112.jpg