• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How many cameras you have do that thing? What is the rig like?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
How many cameras you have do that thing? What is the rig like?
Just one. It is an Insta360 so it films in all directions. I typically have it mounted to a skid leg but I’m experimenting with some in cockpit views. The camera is quite small.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just one. It is an Insta360 so it films in all directions. I typically have it mounted to a skid leg but I’m experimenting with some in cockpit views. The camera is quite small.
Awesome quality and functionality.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The Hero 9 shoots some killer 4k..

If anyone every wants to talk settings and aviation-specific mounts DM me; I’ve spent a decent amount of time working on both!
Nice! I realized at about six minutes in that your view when sitting on the wheels is about my hover practice height view!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The Hero 9 shoots some killer 4k..

If anyone every wants to talk settings and aviation-specific mounts DM me; I’ve spent a decent amount of time working on both!
This is some great video. The NGU Heliport has changed a lot since my day! (when the ramp was full of dozens of SH-2F's).

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
@KODAK When will the Navy replace the outdated electro-mechanical ADI/HSI and put a proper PFD/MFD in that aircraft?
There was money allocated for a glass cockpit upgrade years ago but it was reallocated to source the former Japanese MH-53E aircraft. I, for one, don’t mind steam gauges - besides the T-6B, everything I’ve ever flown in the Navy has been steam!

ChuckMK23

pilot
There was money allocated for a glass cockpit upgrade years ago but it was reallocated to source the former Japanese MH-53E aircraft. I, for one, don’t mind steam gauges - besides the T-6B, everything I’ve ever flown in the Navy has been steam!
So do you guys have RNAV / WAAS approach capability? ILS/LOC? Database for airports/intersections, etc.? Are you issued iPads with Foreflight Military Flight Bag? Any consideration to mounting iPad in the cockpit - there seems room... what about ADS-B receivers like Sentry? @mad dog showed me his current Delta issue 11" iPad Pro in armored slide in case that mouonts to outboard console of 737. I can easily see the benefits of something like that and not having to resort to outdated methods of paper charts. And squadron buy Sentry. I believe DoD has blanket approval for FF with MFB regardless of service approval.

Last edited:

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
For a while there the MH-53E was the most capable instrument helo the Navy had - ILS/ LOC/ VOR/ TACAN/ GPS/ (PAR/ ASR lol). We recently lost GPS due to a fleet-wide mod that made the GPS database theoretically corruptible, but all that said she’s a capable instrument player. Some helo guys don’t like going in the clouds, but I had some great DHs and mentors that built that confidence in me.

Many folks have their own iPad/ iPhones with ForeFlight, and the Navy is now paying for subscriptions for us. I have paid for the subscription for myself for years (and a PingBuddy/ Stratus 2S), but plenty of folks just use the paper pubs if they don’t want to spend the cash for a personal iPad. YMMV, as always.

ChuckMK23

pilot
For a while there the MH-53E was the most capable instrument helo the Navy had - ILS/ LOC/ VOR/ TACAN/ GPS/ (PAR/ ASR lol). We recently lost GPS due to a fleet-wide mod that made the GPS database theoretically corruptible, but all that said she’s a capable instrument player. Some helo guys don’t like going in the clouds, but I had some great DHs and mentors that built that confidence in me.

Many folks have their own iPad/ iPhones with ForeFlight, and the Navy is now paying for subscriptions for us. I have paid for the subscription for myself for years (and a PingBuddy/ Stratus 2S), but plenty of folks just use the paper pubs if they don’t want to spend the cash for a personal iPad. YMMV, as always.
I was under the impression that there was zero "unit chargeback" for DoD flying organizations to consume Foreflight Military Flight Bag edition subscription - and all that is needed is a valid NIPR/.mil email address that is currently in the GAL. This includes a complete world wide additional Jepp subscription and is all funded through NGA. The Navy should not be limiting or "holding back" access. Might be worth looking into. There is some account management overhead as far as work and points of contact that have to be set up - in the AF this is at the MAJCOM level. Also the admins have the ability to publish straight PDF synced copies of all pubs (e.g. NATOPS, 3710, SOP's, all open and closed book exam materials, etc.) Its a work of art in the AF. I do not have to go anywhere else for a flying regulation or DASH-1/POH. Even a briefing guide is right there. Heck your Ops O can publish all the planning card calculations info - W&B and performance calc templates. Do the actual W&B in FF and use a stylus to fill in the rest of your performance planning, then genrate a PDF of the whole thing and save or email it. And all index searchable so open book tests are a breeze (and closed book answer bank!)

I fly 4 models of aircraft with both steam gauge and G1000 configurations, both as a pilot and an IP- its a life saver...

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

pilot
On a side note - we had change of command at the office. My new boss (a very young, sharp O-5) got his wings at VT-31 in Corpus! Nice to see some Navy influence in the office besides myself :)

My former boss just started Indoc at Delta and is on his way still on terminal leave. I envy the current generation!

1659985928686.png

ChuckMK23

pilot
So when I saved my flight movie I forgot to set a focal point so it automatically picked the rear lens! I used the unusual footage to make a brief motion picture.

Nice to see the Griz O Copter in action. I need to get @mad dog in the 182 and we can meet you for lunch and do some disimilar form and get some airborn shots of the Griz O Copter in action!