• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
But I am still NATOPS qualified in the -60, so maybe the joke is on the Navy!

Admittedly, I never looked up why it was called a "coolie" hat until now. I guess that's why it's not called a "China hat." That makes me wonder if they renamed the little island in Kaneho'e Bay. Hopefully not, as it made complete sense.
There was also an island near Iwakuni used for course rules called "Chinaman's Hat". I haven't been there in 10 years, so no idea if they've changed it.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Wow…another fun one just for grins…

I’m no expert on the Taylorcraft, but if his engine had stopped I don’t think the propeller would still spin as it does until the crash. Loss of power control maybe, but not a dead engine. My powers of YouTube observation say this was a staged event.

taxi1

pilot
Wow…another fun one just for grins…

I’m no expert on the Taylorcraft, but if his engine had stopped I don’t think the propeller would still spin as it does until the crash. Loss of power control maybe, but not a dead engine. My powers of YouTube observation say this was a staged event.
Suspicious if he'd left his wife in there

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is a Lycoming 65 HP motor. My Luscombe has a Continental 65. They are very similar. It will definitely windmill as long as the failure isn't catastrophic like a rod punched through the case of a bent valve. With no smoke, oil on the cowl, vibration or immediate prop stoppage it argues for a fuel starvation, including the movement of the mixture to cut off. ?

One of those eternal hangar debates is whether you will get more glide over the ground by slowing to stop the prop to reduce drag but spend time less at than best glide speed, or go straight to best glide and let the prop windmill in a higher drag configuration. I'd suppose there isn't much debate about that in helo world. ?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
That is a Lycoming 65 HP motor. My Luscombe has a Continental 65. They are very similar. It will definitely windmill as long as the failure isn't catastrophic like a rod punched through the case of a bent valve. With no smoke, oil on the cowl, vibration or immediate prop stoppage it argues for a fuel starvation, including the movement of the mixture to cut off. ?

One of those eternal hangar debates is whether you will get more glide over the ground by slowing to stop the prop to reduce drag but spend time less at than best glide speed, or go straight to best glide and let the prop windmill in a higher drag configuration. I'd suppose there isn't much debate about that in helo world. ?
Thanks, if you look at the header tank stick in the video it “looks” like he has plenty of fuel. But maybe it was stuck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool story about hero rotor heads and crew in the Alps. The skiers among you helo dudes will especially love this. They fly an AS350S, Interestingly the entire crew to include the doc and rescue techs are all in their 50s.

number9

Contributor
Cool story about hero rotor heads and crew in the Alps. The skiers among you helo dudes will especially love this. They fly an AS350S, Interestingly the entire crew to include the doc and rescue techs are all in their 50s.

That was a really good read, thanks for posting it. It was quite a sobering read as my wife's cousin was killed in an avalanche in Switzerland last year. He had a DVA and was helicoptered out but didn't make it.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I recently met a gent in my area who collects the original art used for aircraft model boxes. The paintings are good sized oil on board and the occasional watercolor. I’ll have to ask if he has that cover!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recently met a gent in my area who collects the original art used for aircraft model boxes. The paintings are good sized oil on board and the occasional watercolor. I’ll have to ask if he has that cover!
Cool hobby. Wonder how you go about finding the originals for something like that. Wouldn't many be done in Japan?